TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one here has had the cat. convertor ripped off? Any way to prevent it from happening again?

My bro 2002 double cab lost his while parked on a Alameda count parking lot.

$2300 in parts and labor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
well it all depends on how they took it out. a little :saw: there is not a thing you could do about it. or you could wield you system together.

·
Registered
324 Posts
is it a 4 cyl? i have one if yo need one and no i didn't steal it.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You bro had more than his converter ripped off. Ever who did the work did him again. LOL

·
Registered
215 Posts
Any one here has had the cat. convertor ripped off? Any way to prevent it from happening again?

My bro 2002 double cab lost his while parked on a Alameda count parking lot.

$2300 in parts and labor.
u kno he coulda saved a nice chunk of green by buying the parts himself...:dunno: makes sense to me...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
This has got to be the first time I have ever heard of anyone stealing a cat. I have heard of everything from tires/wheels, airbags and sensors etc.. OK everyone, alert the governor, we got a real problem on our hands now...:rolleyes: Where's Barney Fife when you need him the most?????

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Converters esp. Import converters are worth lots of money. Hell Mercedes and BMW's have HUGE cats on them to make sure they pass emissions. The EPA can randomly test any car in a shipment and if it fails emissions the whole load of cars goes back to country of origin. You can melt cats down to retrieve precious metals like Platinum and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. You can take a cat to a junk yard and depending what it came off of you can get $40 to $80 for it or more if it's a big BMW one that's like a foot long.

My friend’s dad owns a cat recycle company, He spends like $30K a week or every 2 buying converters from junk yards just here in AZ to send to CO where the shop is that they melt them down.

$2300 for a new converter is bullshit tell him to get his money back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took eveything cat, o2 sensor. pipe etc. That was a dealer price Hayward Toyota.

Gang stealing them in area local cops are a joke don't think it is worth the time to investigate. Wouldn't even take a report.

Thought price was TOO high but he needed his truck fixed asap.

He was also give misinformation that it is a dealer only part, I found that is not the case.

Thanks for the input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts