TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have alot to do be before the TO, my junk will be ready to go. Paul has a list of upgrades that he would like to have installed before we leave.

Where: my driveway
When: 3rd weekend of Oct.?????
Food & Drink: NOT my problem :)

This would be a good time to install the LockRight for Skip as well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
2Tense said:
We have alot to do be before the TO, my junk will be ready to go. Paul has a list of upgrades that he would like to have installed before we leave.

Where: my driveway
When: 3rd weekend of Oct.?????
Food & Drink: NOT my problem :)

This would be a good time to install the LockRight for Skip as well.
What weekend is that?? Weekend after next?? Work has been kicking my ass I'm lost,but I'm there for you guys. Chaz call me tommorow and let me know what's up.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, my phase 1 (compressor mounting, wiring and switches) of the ARB locker install works like perfection.
Phase 2 (rear locker install) not so good, had to order a new bearing. Everything was going as planed until it was time to remove the bearing on the ring side of the stock carrier; the tool that I had to use was not the correct one of the job. One of the claws (if you will) slipped and bent the cage of the roller bearing (not happy), called my man at Toyota and will have a new one on Tuesday. I’m hoping to have the 3rd ready to reinstall by Wednesday and by Thursday after bleeding the brakes and what not be done with the rear. There are other issues with measurements and shims that are just a pain in the ass to do it right, that's a whole new thread.

Good news... Skip your LockRight is in a Ziploc bag ready to go.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Chaz, Unless you get a set of matching bearings, and when I say matching I mean same number as you have on the carrier now, you will have to reset the pinion depth. If you are not sure about what you are doing, bow out now and get a pro to set em up for you. Avoid making the expensive mistake of trashing your new ARB.

:2cents:

Neil

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neil,
I'll call you about that on Sunday, I'm a bit puzzled by that reply. From my understanding it's just a stock replacement tapered roller bearing (one P/N for both sides). The big issue with the ARB instructions is all about the side to side play. I'll make a copy of the instructions for ya on Monday but, it goes like this....
"A+B-C=D", A: The distance between the surface of the ring gear face and the surface of the bearing shoulder. B: the thickess of the stock shim. C: The distance between the surface of the ring gear face and the surface of the bearing shoulder of the ARB. D: equals the the shim pack that is needed. After doing all that the stock shim (B) was too thick by .1009, we brought it into spec. by using a surface grinder which is now "D".
After I install the new bearing and install everything back into the 3rd., the next step is "E" the "Preload Shim" the opposite side.

It's not really that hard, just need to make sure I do right the first time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey sorry I just saw this thread now, my computer at home died from unknown causes about tuesday of last week so all I have is my computer at work. I'm going to order everything today so I should have it by the end of the week. Third weekend in oct, not this weekend but the next, would be good with me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok everything is ordered, but one problem, they didnt have the shackles in stock and aren't going to for about awhile so I only got the shocks and locker. I'll look and see if I can find shacles elsewhere but I may just decide to leave them out for now, less work for us for one thing and more money in my pocket as well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
NESurfer said:
Ok everything is ordered, but one problem, they didnt have the shackles in stock and aren't going to for about awhile so I only got the shocks and locker. I'll look and see if I can find shacles elsewhere but I may just decide to leave them out for now, less work for us for one thing and more money in my pocket as well.
Paul look around shackles should be easy to find.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NESurfer said:
Is there any place around here that would have them you think?
Paul, around here (Boca) we would be lucky if someone knew what a 4WD even is :D
I would recommend what Skip suggested... check out some of the TTORA sponsors...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hijacking the thread,
Well, I did it right... I took the 3rd to a local race shop to double check my install. He verified the backlash, checked the Ring to Pinion mesh with paint.
I was spot on... I'll get the rear back in tomorrow, run the truck for the week and start the front next Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
2Tense said:
Hijacking the thread,
Well, I did it right... I took the 3rd to a local race shop to double check my install. He verified the backlash, checked the Ring to Pinion mesh with paint.
I was spot on... I'll get the rear back in tomorrow, run the truck for the week and start the front next Friday afternoon.
You are the man Chaz I told you it can be done:D

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red2003 said:
You are the man Chaz I told you it can be done:D
Thanks Skip, everything is back together, no air/oil leaks and it works :D
I'll start the front next Friday after work...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
2Tense said:
Hijacking the thread,

Nice job man! Congrats! You lucky SOB!!! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts