TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we run 4HI on the pavement without causing any damage? Someone told me that if you did you would bind the transfer case and possibly break something. I thought I remembered however that you could use 4HI to speeds up to about 50 mph or so. Was that only in slippery conditions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Do not run 4hi on dry pavement you will ruin your truck.

unless you have an open center diff (AWD/full time 4WD) you cannot run 4wd on pavement without putting alot of stress on drivetrain components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,124 Posts
as long as you are not turning, you wont hurt anything in 4 hi on dry pavement. try to turn though and thats another story.

you are more likley to blow up your front diff than hurt the t-case
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
03trdblack said:
Can we run 4HI on the pavement without causing any damage? Someone told me that if you did you would bind the transfer case and possibly break something. I thought I remembered however that you could use 4HI to speeds up to about 50 mph or so. Was that only in slippery conditions?
Why on earth would you want to do this in the first place?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, a couple of instances have come up....first one being that we had an ice storm here and I had to go to work. Well, not all the road was icy going in to work, but you really needed 4wd on some patches to keep you on the road. I had planned on running 4hi on the way into work just in case so I wouldn't slide off the road (or at least try not to).

The seconed situation is that I just got the Tacoma re-geared and there is a break in period for the gears. Well, unless you are in 4wd, you aren't breaking in the front gears. I wanted to get those gears turning a while on the road so that they could break in properly. Otherwise, how else could I break them in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
03trdblack said:
Well, a couple of instances have come up....first one being that we had an ice storm here and I had to go to work. Well, not all the road was icy going in to work, but you really needed 4wd on some patches to keep you on the road. I had planned on running 4hi on the way into work just in case so I wouldn't slide off the road (or at least try not to).

The seconed situation is that I just got the Tacoma re-geared and there is a break in period for the gears. Well, unless you are in 4wd, you aren't breaking in the front gears. I wanted to get those gears turning a while on the road so that they could break in properly. Otherwise, how else could I break them in?
Run the 4HI as needed, at stoplights, where you're really slipping, etc... otherwise throw it back into 2wd. The roads here in Calgary were covered in black ice for about a month until we got some nice warm weather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
mudferret said:
Run the 4HI as needed, at stoplights, where you're really slipping, etc... otherwise throw it back into 2wd. The roads here in Calgary were covered in black ice for about a month until we got some nice warm weather.
I like to run 4high when I drag race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
mudferret said:
I can't think of a better, more bomb proof diff than a 7.5"... :rolleyes:
DANA 60??? A WEE bit stronger.....I only wish we could get the strength of the SAS guys on the ifs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
would be nice...but might take a little work to figure that out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
03trdblack said:
Can we run 4HI on the pavement without causing any damage? Someone told me that if you did you would bind the transfer case and possibly break something. I thought I remembered however that you could use 4HI to speeds up to about 50 mph or so. Was that only in slippery conditions?
I use it in 4wd on the e-way around 70mph when the weather gets bad, and I use it around town if I'm not making any sharp turns. I haven't had any problems with it yet and I typically have the truck in 4wd for 4 months straight out of the year. Just remember that dry pavement is bad for it when your turning, its easy for forget this when your in parking lots or places that are snowy and then clear pavement.
 

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
Joined
·
796 Posts
I run my '97 w/ 140k miles in 4hi whenever it rains, and do so at high speeds on the Houston freeways. I've been doing this ever since I bought the truck. But then I never knew it could be bad for my truck either, until I read this post. Hmmm...

Needless to say, the truck is in great shape and well maintained by my mechanic. I put it back to 2wd when I need to park, or make tight turns. I never had any problems with my truck. Yet. Knock-on-wood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
Dog bless 'em... Toyotas are allergic to breaking down, for the most part.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top