·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or is it "peak and tweak" ?

Just installed a Cobra 19 IV...

and haven't tuned the antenna yet...

But before I do...

I'd ike to know if anyone here knows of a shop somewhat local to me (Hemet) that offers this radio service... for CB's

Thanks if ya know...

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh... not much...

Curtis told me there's a guy in Fontana that tweaks radios... But he can't seem to find the phone number... :rolleyes:

This site has a list of info for tweaking... on some radios
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/index.htm
But don't list my Cobra 19 DX IV... Just the DX III

I'd give credit to Dennis for emailing me this web site...
But had already found it previous... Thanks Dennis... Just the same :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I did find this floating out there on one of the CB forums tho'
For the 19 DX IV... Unfortunately... the tuning aspects are not within my ability or knowledge... nor do I have the right equipment to test with...

• Remove cover (with speaker)
• RVQ3 is the meter adjustment
• RVQ1 is the squelch adjustment
• RVM1 is the modulation control. Turn counterclockwise to increase. (Knobs facing you and antenna jack facing away)
• Cut DM1 (modulation limiter) "Not Recommended"
• Spread LT5/LT12 coils a little bit.
• Spread LT11/LT7 coils a lot.
• Should dead key 6 watts and swing up to 40 watts

I tuned the antenna (Lil Wil) yesterday... and think I got it close... tho' this antenna isn't the best one out there for sure...

I got it down to about 1.4 on channel #1 and #40... and it's well below 1 on channel #20..

Odd to me... as I don't know shit about this CB stuff...
Nor do I know if my meter is accurate...

But on channel #1 I am pushing nearer 6 watts.... but up at Channel #40 it is less then 2 watts... ummm... that's if I'm reading the meter correctly ? :dunno:
But it would seem that I have more power in the lower channels then in the upper... wonder if that's a normal thing...

Do you know if that is a normal thing... I mean to be pushing more watts in the lower channels... and less in the higher channels ?

Eh... I hate CB's...

I'm gonna guess I have it tuned well enough for trail crap...

I'll keep looking to find a person who can tweak this thing...
But for now... I'm just gonna deal with it as is...

·
Administrator
18,290 Posts
Send it off to me and I'll dive in there with my golden screwdriver. Some of the cheaper units like yours aren't built to be modified easily, so thats why 6-8watts is all you can get out of those. The bigger radios like the Cobra 25, 29, 68,76 and so forth can be cranked up quite a bit. I tuned Hytenor's radio and he got about 16 watts out of his Cobra 68XL.

The power reading on Ch1 vs Ch40 is probably due to reflection, which is a function of the SWR. Your radio is putting out 4 watts but 2 watts are being reflected back, hence your only seeing 2 watts on the meter. If you have gotten the SWR as low as possible, there might not be anything more you can do other then trying to even it out some.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate that offer Tyler... thank you :)

after picking thru Curtis's (BigMoose) retarded brain...
I puzzled together the Name and location of the shop he used...

Out of Ontario... The Radio Shop ... it is called...

Called the guy and explained what I was looking for and what radio I had...

He said no problem... and that he has been able to obtain close to 24 watts ouput with this radio... (he must be referring to it's peak ?)

Hey Tyler... answer me this if you would please...

The instructions say to cut/de-solder DM1 (modulation limiter)...

Then it says... "Not recommended"...

Why would it say to do that... but then note that it is not recommended ?

Legality issue ?

Is the DM1 modulation limiter the key to opening up and obtaining the unused power from the power supply of the radio ?

Anyhow... already made an appointment to go to Ontario on Friday and get this tweaking thing done so I can put this crap on the back burner of my mind...

I only use a CB getting to and from and on the trail...
so as long as the Lil Wil is willing to play along...
It should be more then enough for my needs... maybe :dunno:

·
Administrator
18,290 Posts
24 watts? Sounds like a load of shit to me. Most standard mods can get a radio up to around 15 watts, but I think the finals in that radio cap at 25 watts. Its not good to push them that hard. That just means an early death.

The mod limiter is a diode that "limits" the amount of audio that drives the amp in the radio. When you cut it out, then the audio is wide open. This is usually an easy mod to do, so many novice techs do that instead of simply turning up the modulation or swapping resistors to increase the audio. The down side is that most radio users then overdrive the audio in the radio and your voice sounds all garbled and shitty on the other end.

BTW- Any modification to the radio that allows an output over 4 watts RMS is illegal.

Just remember that the simplest and best mod you can do is install a power mic. I favor the Astatic D104-M6B or the Road Devil 575 if you need more noise canceling. That will help you be heard much clearer and better.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10-4 on that mike... I'm looking at getting one...

Got the tweak done... and had him show me the output... 24 watts across the board... I'm not sure what he did... and I'm not asking...

If it dies... I'll just get another...

But I'm very sure this guy knows what he's doing... legal or not...

Oh and I'm using a Lil Wil... doubt 4 watts come out of that... LOL

Anyone else interested in using this service...
Here's the addy and stuff...

The Radio Shop
4055 Guasti Rd. # 101
Ontario, CA. 91761
909-390-5056

That or PM Showstop (Tyler) and you can mail it to him and have it done :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
maybe it's time to get mine done

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curtis (BigMoose) used this service first... and he has a bigger radio... galaxy or some other like shit (spelled... mo powa)... and his has held up and performs damn well...
and that is why I trusted this business...

I say do it... the service is not costly... ;)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts