TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it has come to the point of needing to install new rotors and pads on my 1995.5 taco. my question is, is it worth the extra money to install Power slot rotors and Hawk pads, or should i stick with a Napa brand setup. i don't have ABS on my truck, and have no problem locking 'em up with my stock setup.

money is certainly an object, but i am willing to do it right the first time.

thanks

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I was kinda wondering about this myself... even though I don't need new brakes right now(so I haven't searched yet). I noticed this year that the OEM brakes on these trucks don't really stop that sharply in the winter cold, but do a fantastic job in the warmer weather. I guess the Toyota OEM pads/shoes must be relatively hard non-low temp pads(which would explain why they last soo ridiculously long)... either that or the previous owner put something non-OEM on there before I bought it(doubtful, since it was at 58K when I got it).

Personally, I'm not that big a fan of Hawk pads. They seem to squeek a lot and make a ton of brake dust, and tend to have poorer cold braking performance compared to some of their competitors... even on their lower temp pure street pads.

I just put these sweet pads on my G35 made buy a company called Project Mu Racing and they are freakin awesome. They actually stop better and with less dust than the OEM Brembo pads that were on there. I already checked though, and unfortunately they don't make anything for Tacomas.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I would stick with OEM Brembo rotors and Toyota pads. There is a problem with Powerslot rotors and alot of people forget that you cant turn them whenever they wear down. I have a problem with warping rotors alot because of all of the mud around here, so I either get the Brembo or Toyota rotors because I think they are made better than alot of rotors and hold out from warping alot longer than cheapy NAPA or carquest chinese ones

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I read a big article on this upgrade on a full size ford f250 4x4. The upgrade was less than impressive. The stopping distances were reduced, but not by enough to warrent the big expense. To each his own.:2cents:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info

thanks for the insight guys, i have been out of town of the past week making money, but know that i am home i can finally focus on getting my brakes fixed! i will have to price check Toyota rotors and pads. for Brembo rotors and Hawk pads www.autoanything.com wanted approx $250...napa brans parts where only $88. i need to figure out where OEM components fall on that list, and then i can decide. Brembo VS Toyota:confused:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Think about how long the OEM lasted you? Now is the upgrade worth the extra $. Most of the times, OEM is better than after market products. How much do you want to spend for bling or known reliabillity?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The tacomas brakes are more than sufficient. I am near 290 hp. Stock brakes and they are still great. I am an upgrade superfreak and the brakes don't need to be upgraded other than stainless steel lines. Not being able to turn the rotors if they warp would be a deal killer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts