TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've narrowed my search down to these two lights I think. I was really interested in the Cibie Oscar SC's with the "cornering beam" pattern, but at $150 each, without wiring harness, they are a little too pricy.

My dilema is I'm looking for a serious off road light, but wanted a compromise between a fog pattern, and a driving pattern. Much of my time is spent on twisting back roads, so pencil beams are surely out, and driving beams aren't much better. Fog beams don't give nearly enough distance. The Cibies looked like it, but, again, too much.

I've had Piaas before, and was fairly pleased with them, but a little too narrow beam. The 80XT gives a 18 degree beam spread, a little more than most "driving" beams.

Now, the lightforce. Adjustable from pencil to spot, which does little good I think. But, I noticed they have filters for them, either a "wide angle" or a "combo wide angle" which gives a wide angle and driving beam pattern. Looks like that with these filters, and the adjustable focus, I may get exactly what I want.

But, to be honest, the looks of them are hard for me to get past (pretty funky looking mounting system), and the lense and filter attachement looks pretty cheesy. I really like the more traditional look of the Piaas, BUT, I want to know what other's who have used the Lightforce lights and in particular these wide angle filters have to say. Pricing is surely not bad, at about $220 for the pair, and is in the ballpark I was looking at with the Piaas.

They'll be mounted on an ARB bull bar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go with the PIAAs. I've had a set of 80XTs on my SAS'd tacoma for over a year now, and they're so awesome. I have the fog pattern, and I'm pleased with their beam distance and spread. I agree, the Lightforces look too damn goofy. The PIAAs have a small profile, and their depth is very small. I paid $210.00 for a new set of the 80XTs on ebay. Do the lightforce 170s come with an aluminum or plastic housing? What is the lens made of? the 80XTs have an aluminum housing with a glass lens, much better than that plastic shit. Anyway, hope this helps, take care.

Brenton Rettig
Indy Fabworks
2638 S Country Rd 800 E
Plainfield, IN 46168
[email protected]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really haven't looked at flood patterns because I just don't see them giving any kind of "reach" for the straight stretches of road.

It's been a long time since I've used "fog" patterned lights. Maybe the 80XT's with the 120w bulb will reach out far enough? I'd like something to improve upon what I get with high beams out at distance.

The more I look into this, the Lightforce may be out as well. At $40 for a pair of filters, they're getting up there in pricing to where the Cibies are an option again.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I haven't looked that closely at them either. I hope to do lights this summer. then I'll figure it out, I hope :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
No one uses these (except in Austraillia) but I have IPF MSR 900's on my rig and they are AMAZING! They replaced a set of Hella 4000 driving lights that really didn't impress me that much. I would really look hard at them as an alternative. You won't be sorry. They should be less than the PIAA's also.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why is it you always find the answer too late?

Found a heck of a deal on some Piaa Pro 80 XT's last night for $200 with free shipping. Can't beat that, and I ordered immediately.

Then today I see IPF has these little gems out
with dual reflectors giving both a fog and driving beam, for about the same price (once you upgrade to 85w bulbs).

The Piaa's were already shipped this morning, so I'm sticking with them, but if anyone else is looking for this type of light, here they are......IPF dual refelctor lights.

They won't be as bright as the 120w, 350k candlepower 80 xt's, but they could sure work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts