TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna decide whether or not LED Bars or single round HID's would look better on the rig... Any suggestions, comments or opinions? How bout some pics!!!! :D
I have a 99 Tacoma 5 lug extra cab with the TC Taquito kit and 31x10.5 Duratracs w/ fender flares up front and a nice little bumper with a skid. Wasn't sure where to post but since I'm more of a dez rat than a crawler this was the spot. I know LED is the new technology and has many pluses like lower op. temps, longer life span and less power drawn.

·
Registered
776 Posts
LEDs for sure in my opinion. HIDs will project further but the light output of a nice 20 or 30" bar cant really be beat on a daily driven weekend warrior. You're not going to outrun an LED. I would recommend going with a spot pattern over the combo and running some smaller flood light like the dually or D2 as your flood.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My various light setups:
6 - 6" Halogen, 2 heep style, 4 on bumper

4 Halogen - ditched heep style, 4 on bumper

Current setup, 2 Kragen 7" HID on bumper

I really liked having the Jeep style lights when using them, but it attracted ALOT of negative attention from the PoPo, always keep them covered!

Edit: Oakley, that thing is amazing looking! Beastly

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LEDs for sure in my opinion. HIDs will project further but the light output of a nice 20 or 30" bar cant really be beat on a daily driven weekend warrior. You're not going to outrun an LED. I would recommend going with a spot pattern over the combo and running some smaller flood light like the dually or D2 as your flood.

fuckin awesome rig man. I know what you mean about out running the output. I'm leaning towards an LED bar.

My various light setups:
6 - 6" Halogen, 2 heep style, 4 on bumper, I really liked having the Jeep style lights when using them, but it attracted ALOT of negative attention from the PoPo, always keep them covered!

4 Halogen - ditched heep style, 4 on bumper

Current setup, 2 Kragen 7" HID on bumper

I definitely could see the local law being a problem for me they tend to key in on that shit and go from there :rolleyes: but I love the way it looks with 2-4 nice lights across the front always looks real mean :cool: nice rig BTW.

my other question is this.... anyone ever have trouble for an LED Bar being uncovered?????

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also what are you guys doing in the means of theft prevention???

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
LED for sure. Here is my little small one (day time pic). It has six 3-watt LEDs.

I need to move it to the grill...

It would never compete with Oakleys one above, but it is bright. It will hurt your eyes even when they are closed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also heard that if a bulb goes out the unit is toast? can you replace LED bulbs? has anyone had any problems with LED's?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Never had a problem.

You may be interested in "Matt" s build on Pirate and Marlin. "Bro-coma"

He built his own LED bars.

I plan on copying his write up if I'm capable.. I can't afford a big Vision X or Rigid bar now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do an HID retro and call it a day :p It looks pretty slick when it's done, and the light reaches really far out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do an HID retro and call it a day :p It looks pretty slick when it's done, and the light reaches really far out.
Ditto, LED's are cool and all but I seriously have $300 into my top light bar setup. Hella 400's, got all 4 used for $200 and the HID conversions set me back another $100. More light then I need and has been bullet proof for 4+ years now.

The bumper lights are just 55watt piaa driving lights to help on the road.

And now I can flip a switch and put it into spoiler mode...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I like the low draw of the LEDs.

HID conversions sounds good, I forgot about that. Ebay housings w/ Morimoto projectors. I think I remember that. Is that the way to go?

I should do it, my headlights suck.

Anyone else try the method Corax used that I linked above?

If I was rich I would look at ARBs new LED round light.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I like the low draw of the LEDs.
Yeah, but really... 35W HID x 4 = 140W worth of draw. That's just a little bit more then a typical single offroad halogen light which vehicles have ran pairs of forever! Heck, 2, 4, 6... etc... It's also only 10amps total at 14v. The whole LED's draw less power argument has always been funny. I ran around with a pair of 120W piaa lights ([email protected] draw) forever so I'm sure 4 HID's which is MUCH less power draw with a lot more light output then that single pair of Piaa's isn't going to hurt or strain my system. I mean unless you're running an ARB fridge, some 3000 watt system and tons of other crap, the difference in draw between LED and HID in reality shouldn't be a selling point in my opinion.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an electrical genius by any means so if my math or sense doesn't make sense I'm honestly all ears...

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have also heard that if a bulb goes out the unit is toast? can you replace LED bulbs? has anyone had any problems with LED's?
on the cheap china built crap, possibly. Rigid and VisionX most def not. Both have fantastic warranty departments too so in the instance that you were to lose an led they will usually fix or completely replace it for you!

Have you seen any of these? Kinda pointless but still a good show of how durable they are:

http://youtu.be/wuIU-Mg0EMM

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Yeah, but really... 35W HID x 4 = 140W worth of draw. That's just a little bit more then a typical single offroad halogen light which vehicles have ran pairs of forever! Heck, 2, 4, 6... etc... It's also only 10amps total at 14v. The whole LED's draw less power argument has always been funny. I ran around with a pair of 120W piaa lights ([email protected] draw) forever so I'm sure 4 HID's which is MUCH less power draw with a lot more light output then that single pair of Piaa's isn't going to hurt or strain my system. I mean unless you're running an ARB fridge, some 3000 watt system and tons of other crap, the difference in draw between LED and HID in reality shouldn't be a selling point in my opinion.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an electrical genius by any means so if my math or sense doesn't make sense I'm honestly all ears...
I'll take your word for it. After seeing your build of Jprich's truck....I uh...I'll defer to you.

I would really love a set Lightforce HIDs after what I've read and seen.

Looks like Oz makes some good quality products.

·
Scared of Slow Speeds
74 Posts
For Posterity,
Baja Designs HID and LED technology is a huge bang for the bucks

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
LED is not a 'bulb' but a chip. you don't 'change' them ;) (google/Wiki LED) Unless you are driving with an LED bar on constantly your truck will wear out before the lights do.

retro HIDs are the best route IMO for overall driving. but...I haven't played with the hi-dollar bars so can't comment on them. A pair of cheap Hella 500s with a $40 HID retro kit from Ebay will put out more light than you can imagine ;) make sure to go with a 'driving' or 'Euro' type lens rather than the 'pencil' or 'spot'.

there is a long thread on doing this using several different driving lights as platforms.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82281

there's another series of threads on the headlight retro with projectors...search HID

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got my 55W HID's for around $100 and my buddy just got some for $60. I'm happy with the output. Just a thought vs building.

I would go floods over spots but a combo is ideal. I don't think the floods reach far enough. I have floods on the outside and spots on the inside.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I got my 55W HID's for around $100 and my buddy just got some for $60. I'm happy with the output. Just a thought vs building.

I would go floods over spots but a combo is ideal. I don't think the floods reach far enough. I have floods on the outside and spots on the inside.
A 'flood' pattern lens is only meant for very close up, under 50' so are useless for driving lights. Drivers used to come in either "Pencil" or "driving" until "Euro" or "cornering" beams came out some years back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts