TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my hands on another Taco after a 1.5 year search... snagged a silver 2003 Ex cab V6 TRD 5-speed 4x4 with almost exactly 100k on it for a slick $8K yesterday from a private seller who flipped it to me from an estate sale. Body and bumpers are in pretty good condition, interior is mint and the last owner just had a large frame mounted trailer hitch installed a month before passing away. Has a few of the usual little surface scratches on the bed and tailgate but nothing serious and no obvious dents and no accidents reported for it but the driver's side door has been replaced with what was formerly a red one.. looks like the door was the extent if it though. It sat for over a year unused prior to a month ago due to the estate situation. Frame is a tad rusty but seems structurally sound. I have until Sept 2018 until Toyota could replace the frame if needed since it was coated by Toyota in '09....I checked on this before buying with my local dealer (who are always awesome by the way).

The seller put in new headlights to replace the glazed over stockers, side steps, and battery before selling it to me. Thing drives great and motor and entire engine bay looks almost brand new clean. Tranny shifts like butter and clutch is fantastic. Came with a big stack of service history papers which included timing belt and water pump 15k miles ago (but 8 years ago). Need to determine if plugs were ever done, but coolant was somewhat recently according to paperwork. I'm also going to clean up the rust on the rear diff a bit and paint that since it looks pretty bad... same with the fuel tank skid plate.

Looks like I'll have to go through it a bit too and fix some small stuff like power mirrors not working almost at all and drivers side power window works but sounds like it keeps trying to roll up a bit after it has fully closed unless I click down on the toggle switch for a mili-second once it's fully up. Brakes need a bleed too but that should be no biggie and probably is expected for sitting a long time. Fortunately the parking brake works well and doesn't stick or only partially retract like most do.

I brought my grease gun with me when picking it up to lube the rear driveshaft for the 65 mile ride home and noticed the rear most grease fitting seems inaccessible. It's turned so that it's always facing the sides of the yoke and never points down in a way that I could get to with my gun through the gaps in the yoke. Any thoughts on what's going on with that? My '01 regular cab one piece driveshaft has all easily accessible when the shaft is rotated to proper allignment. There was something I saw in the service history about a previous owner saying driveshaft u joints were backwards... but the inspecting tech said everything looked correct. I may have to look closer at that... can't have my driveshaft not being greasible. Any help or suggestions for this driveshaft thing??

I'll probably swap my 32" tires\rims over from my '01 to this once I get the thing plated and finish brake bleeding. The Michilin X LT tires on it look newer(10\32"), but stock size are too small after getting used to the larger ones my other truck has. Will probably do the Marlin shifter seat upgrade immediately and change the diff breather too.

I'm going to need to get a tonneau cover for it too and may have it professionally undercoated once I have Toyota check the frame out and if they give me a thumbs down on frame replacement.

The flippable side mirrors on these '03 and up Tacos kinda suck. I like the solid ones on my '01 much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man.... the R150F transmission is phenomenal in comparison to the W59. This thing is so buttery smooth that it almost feels like a front wheel drive transmission. I love how it slides in and out of gear so gracefully yet precisely yet at the same time with such a satisfying snap... particularly 5th gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts