TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, im a newb and im fine with that...im picking up my first tacoma soon its a 1996 3.4l 4wd auto sr5 extra cab....has 133k miles...motor is clean and so far i cant find any problems...first do these have a timing belt or chain...if it has a belt it needs to be done again last one was done at 60k....also it has no power anything no ac but has a sunroof...there asking 6995..i think this is a little high but they were willing to do the belt....what would you offer for a price...thanks for your help...i hope to learn alot from this site..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
boosted313 said:
yes, im a newb and im fine with that...im picking up my first tacoma soon its a 1996 3.4l 4wd auto sr5 extra cab....has 133k miles...motor is clean and so far i cant find any problems...first do these have a timing belt or chain...if it has a belt it needs to be done again last one was done at 60k....also it has no power anything no ac but has a sunroof...there asking 6995..i think this is a little high but they were willing to do the belt....what would you offer for a price...thanks for your help...i hope to learn alot from this site..
If it helps, I sold my 96 reg cab for $5700 with 150k...here is a link to guide you in the right direction....

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/Selection/Condition.aspx

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Depending on where you are at I would think 6 with the belt done.
Unless you are in a hurry then you just gotta take what you can get.

·
Registered
947 Posts
flatlnader said:
If it helps, I sold my 96 reg cab for $5700 with 150k...here is a link to guide you in the right direction....

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/Selection/Condition.aspx
Do you remember the value KBB gave in comparison to the 5700 you got? How long ago was it? Clean? Assuming 4X4? Auto?

Anyway, I would say 5-8K on the truck, all depends on the condition and market in your area boost. Also, I was told by a service manager that the belt on these does not need to be replaced but every 80-100K or so. I put 120K on one before getting it replaced, they said it was still looking good. I put 160K on a 4cyl chain once, and it looked ok. Call a dealership and get a cost to replace the belt and deduct that from the value.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
flatlnader said:
I do not...I sold it in May, in Kansas...I though it was clean...manual tranny...yes 4x4...
here is a pic...
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/02taco/truck_03212.jpg

Thanks. I am debating selling mine (1999, 97K, auto). I do not know if I want to turn it into a trail ride or get an older one again to fix up. Its just so freaking nice and has such a good value, its hard to do it. I could get 6K in a day for it. Probably 8K if I waited a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Better than KBB is calling a bank and finding the loan value on a truck. They most the time go off of NADA prices which is what most dealers go off of, and you would be surprised at how far apart their prices are than KBB, for better or worse. Of course if there are add ons you may consider them, although they don't add anything to the value of a truck in the bank's eyes. It also helps if you aren't paying cash for a truck to know what a bank will loan you, usually 80% or 90% of the loan value, and you have to pay out the rest.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
jhunter said:
Thanks. I am debating selling mine (1999, 97K, auto). I do not know if I want to turn it into a trail ride or get an older one again to fix up. Its just so freaking nice and has such a good value, its hard to do it. I could get 6K in a day for it. Probably 8K if I waited a couple of weeks.
Sold mine in 2 days. Guy drove 3 hours for a midnight test drive and handed me 57, 100 dollar bills after drving around the block and them went home...Turn it into a trail rig...get too old and you loose the fuel injection, and ultimately, reliability...just my :2cents:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Dan_meister said:
Better than KBB is calling a bank and finding the loan value on a truck. They most the time go off of NADA prices which is what most dealers go off of, and you would be surprised at how far apart their prices are than KBB, for better or worse. Of course if there are add ons you may consider them, although they don't add anything to the value of a truck in the bank's eyes. It also helps if you aren't paying cash for a truck to know what a bank will loan you, usually 80% or 90% of the loan value, and you have to pay out the rest.
Just make sure you look at their book. I did this when selling my 02 double cab, and they gave me a loan value of 10K. I was amazed and drove over. They were giving a value of a single cab 4cyl with no options. Once I showed her that it was double cab, V-6 etc., the value went up to 16K and thats about what I sold it for.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Dan_meister said:
Dude...I would venture to say that most people that are looking at a truck this old are going to pay cash.

·
Registered
947 Posts
flatlnader said:
Sold mine in 2 days. Guy drove 3 hours for a midnight test drive and handed me 57, 100 dollar bills after drving around the block and them went home...Turn it into a trail rig...get too old and you loose the fuel injection, and ultimately, reliability...just my :2cents:
Nice, did the same thing with an 02 double cab. There were people in the driveway fighting over it when I got home from work. My wife did not know what to do! Listed it on a Tuesday, came out in the Wed morning paper. I had 7 calls before I went to work, sold it when I got home. I had to use caller ID to settle the fight over it. I agree with you. I had an 85 with injection at one point, but sold it and was going to transfer the 99. Its just hard to start the chop on it. I think I might just do it however. Its so much more comfortable than the 85 was. More power too, hopefully it will be as strong. The 85 was a beast.

·
Registered
947 Posts
flatlnader said:
Dude...I would venture to say that most people that are looking at a truck this old are going to pay cash.
Most banks will not work a loan for a truck this old anyway. Usually prior 3 years or so only. Unless its a small bank, or you know someone there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
boosted313 said:
http://nh.craigslist.org/car/261501778.html

heres the truck.... im gonna over 5500 and see were it goes i got 6kin cash thats my top out....thanks for the fast responses...

:haha i just relized they listed it as a four cylinder...ive driven it and it is most definatly a 6....
Oh hell yea. Offer the 5500, but I would for sure pay 6500 as long as it all checks out well. It looks good in the pictures. I would open the hood and make sure its a V-6. My I-4 with 31's and 4.56 gears feels just like the V-6 up to 30 mph. Just to be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i did test drove it and everything...its a v6 motor is quiet the thing is awesome...im hoping to get it for some were between 55-6 but will see how far he budges

·
Registered
947 Posts
boosted313 said:
i did test drove it and everything...its a v6 motor is quiet the thing is awesome...im hoping to get it for some were between 55-6 but will see how far he budges
Get 55, $100.00 bills, stuff in envelope, ask if he wants to trade. If he says no, pull $100.00 at a time from your pocket until he says yes. Up to the point your willing to pay at least. When you get to 5900 and he still says not, tell him your pulling one more out, and that is it! Good luck, let us know if you get it. If you can get it for 5500, you will have 500 for mods!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
12 Participants
turboturtle
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing