TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any pictures of a ARB bull bar or TJM bumper on a 01 or newer tacoma? front and side shots would be excellent...cant decide if i want to go with one of those or not...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the ARB and if you dont mind the tubing going all the way across your hood get the ARB. If you want a more factory look, get the TJM T-17 without the tubing. I will try to find pics of my ARB mounted on my 99'. I am going to get T-17 for my 04.

·
Registered
125 Posts
here are a couple shots of the ARB on my 99 if that helps at all.

http://img225.exs.cx/img225/9922/arb60kg.jpg
http://img203.exs.cx/img203/126/arb54gr.jpg

I decided to go with the ARB for a couple reasons:
1) found it cheaper than the tjm (go to www.4wheelonline.com and look for a warehouse near you where you can just pick it and avoid shipping)
2) it can be mounted to any tacoma that I may own in the future with different brackets that are included
3) ARB is airbag certified, TJM is not
4) I like the look better, and I hear it's a bit more stout.

hope that helps
-Fletch-

·
Registered
108 Posts
fourstringfletch said:
chief - ever consider mounting those top lights upside down? I think that'd look pretty slick with 4 in the grill.
I actually wanted to do that, because in CA these lights (mounted more than 42 inches above the ground) are considered only for offroad use. The problem is, because the light tab is welded the way it is, I would have to have some custom mounting spacers, and right now I just don't have the time. Since I have wired up the bottom set of lights to only come on with highbeams, they are now legal for on road use, and I don't have the dorky light covers on them anymore. I love the amount of light I get out of these lights. They haven't been on my truck for very long, so I can't say how long they will last. I am happy with the current configuration though. I oughta take another picture, I just liked this one picture with my son in it. I am being kept from seeing my son right now, so I just felt like posting that one. With the help of my attorney, I am hoping to be able to see my son soon. Does this have anything to do with TTORA.....uh, I guess not. Anyways, maybe I'll post another pic someday.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
The problem is, because the light tab is welded the way it is, I would have to have some custom mounting spacers,
How about a piece of square tube bolted to the underside of the tab then the light bolted upside down to that.

Good luck with your boy, I hope everything works out for you soon. He's a cute kid.

Tim

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have a TJM t-15 (no grille guard) on a '98. Let me know if you want me to dig some up (or take new ones)

·
Registered
228 Posts
In case you didn't see mine on the other thread, here it is.

Just installed Sunday.

Pics can be deceiving. On many pics I see, the ARB looks unreasonably wide and oversized on the Tacoma, and this nearly kept me from buying one. It is not, it's just an optical illusion depending on the angle, distance, and lense setting used, and some guys run the bull bar for the Toyota Prado, which is in fact larger than for the Tacoma.

One thing, the ARB is air bag compatible, the TJM is not, in case that's important to you (it was to me).

I got my ARB from Rocky Road for $715 shipped. ARB in Washington also had some "scratch or dent" bumpers aparently for the handsome price of approx $450 to $500 if I remember right (read it here somewhere). Don't know if they have any left, but some of the guys were laughing at what was being called a "scratch". I probably put more on mine just installing it than what they had. :eek:

Word of advice, don't install it alone, and if you do, don't do it with the winch in it like I did. 187 lbs is a bit much to handle alone.....

I can post a couple side shots tonight after I get home if you're interested. I didn't load any to the hosting site yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
I actually wanted to do that, because in CA these lights (mounted more than 42 inches above the ground) are considered only for offroad use. The problem is, because the light tab is welded the way it is, I would have to have some custom mounting spacers, and right now I just don't have the time. Since I have wired up the bottom set of lights to only come on with highbeams, they are now legal for on road use, and I don't have the dorky light covers on them anymore. I love the amount of light I get out of these lights. They haven't been on my truck for very long, so I can't say how long they will last. I am happy with the current configuration though.
What other limitations are there for legal "no light cover" use? I'm wiring mine up this weekend, and will wire to come on with high beams only. I've got 125 watt Piaa's, 350k candlepower driving beams. Won't use them around here, but cross country drives back to Kansas they would be nice at times.

I oughta take another picture, I just liked this one picture with my son in it. I am being kept from seeing my son right now, so I just felt like posting that one. With the help of my attorney, I am hoping to be able to see my son soon. Does this have anything to do with TTORA.....uh, I guess not. Anyways, maybe I'll post another pic someday
I'm PM'ing with some info. Understand completely.

·
Registered
108 Posts
sagexp said:
What other limitations are there for legal "no light cover" use? I'm wiring mine up this weekend, and will wire to come on with high beams only. I've got 125 watt Piaa's, 350k candlepower driving beams. Won't use them around here, but cross country drives back to Kansas they would be nice at times.
I don't know everything about the laws of driving lights, but I know there are differences depending on what state you are in. I am in California, and searched the internet for the information. I think I searched for something like "headlights + california", and found alot of information that way. Your lenses may have to have SAE or DOT on them to really be legal. The 55W KCs I have say SAE. Wattage may be an issue, but I know 55W is fine. The KCs are very bright for highbeam supplements. Wiring up to highbeams is a little tricky on Tacomas. The headlights/highbeams use a switched ground. I have a wiring diagram I posted on here somewhere. If you don't wire up the lights exactly right, you will have weird problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The TJM for the 2001-2004 is airbag compatible and rated for 9.5k winch

·
Registered
230 Posts
TJM not air bag compatible

sagexp said:
One thing, the ARB is air bag compatible, the TJM is not, in case that's important to you (it was to me).
Partial hijack...

sagexp,
you're the second person to post here that TJM is NOT airbag compatible. Reading here http://www.4x4connection.com/nav/tjmfaq.htm one would be lead to believe that they are? Can anyone clarify?

Also, do you have to order a separate frame kit if installing a winch? How much?

Cheers,
P

1 - 20 of 26 Posts