TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I called reider racing today to order my gears and the guy I spoke with told me that in 2002 toyota changed the pinion yoke in the TRD tacomas but he wasn't sure about the NON TRD tacomas (which is what I have).
He said if the pinion yoke had been changed in the NON TRD then I would have to get a pre 2002 pinion yoke from the dealership for the gears to fit.

So does anyone know if this is true or what?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
02taco4x4 said:
Ok, I called reider racing today to order my gears and the guy I spoke with told me that in 2002 toyota changed the pinion yoke in the TRD tacomas but he wasn't sure about the NON TRD tacomas (which is what I have).
He said if the pinion yoke had been changed in the NON TRD then I would have to get a pre 2002 pinion yoke from the dealership for the gears to fit.

So does anyone know if this is true or what?
HEY, did you order precision gears? and did they have them in stock?
sorry but not sure about NON TRD.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they "said" they had everything in stock...I haven't orderd mine yet b/c i'm still trying to figure out what this is all about.

·
Registered
436 Posts
SLIMTACO2 said:
HEY, did you order precision gears? and did they have them in stock?
sorry but not sure about NON TRD.
i ordered a set of 4.88's for the rear last week. ordered on mon. afternoon, got em wed. or thurs.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I ran into this problem when I ordered my gears. They changed over to a 30 spline yolk on the TRD tacoma's in 2002. Previously they were 27 spline. The gears I got didn't fit the 30 spline yolk. Since there aren't any aftermarket gears available for the TRD 30 spline yolk, I had to purchase a 27 spline yolk from the dealer from an earlier model Tacoma to get them to work. For your non TRD model, you SHOULD have a 27 spline yolk so your 27 spline gears will work. You can't really know unless you open it up and see for yourself. I had to do that unfortunatley.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, thats what I needed to know...I am going to the dealership today to see if they can tell me for sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just did my 2002 TRD. Needed new yolk.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the dealership said there was no way of knowing without taking the rear cover off...is this true? They cant just look up and compare part numbers?

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
02taco4x4 said:
so the dealership said there was no way of knowing without taking the rear cover off...is this true? They cant just look up and compare part numbers?
You can measure the nut.

·
Registered
390 Posts
They can see ifthe part number is different but their part desc. from toyota isn't going to tell them how many splines the yokes have. They deal in OEM only so they would never have to know that info. They are given an application and they go from there.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
02taco4x4 said:
I'm not sure what you are talking about. :confused:
Remove the drive shaft from the yoke and there is a nut the holds the yoke on to the pinion. If you measure the nut (from flat to flat) you can tell if it is a 27 or 30 spine pinion. I will measure the 2 nuts that I have so you can compare back to

1 - 13 of 13 Posts