TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 2.7 Ls are susceptible to piston slap (I have a 2001 Xcab 4x4 Auto). Still, I wanted the cold knocking sound checked out. The dealer wanted to charge a $98 "inspection fee" even though the truck is still covered by the powertrain warranty. When I asked to see where it said that fee was allowable for a warranty inspection, the service guy couldn't find a copy of a warranty. He's standing inside a freakin' Toyota dealership in suburban Chicago! Come on. At my request, he brought my truck back and I left. My question is has anyone else heard of this "inspection fee" once the truck is out of the 3 year/36K warranty, but still under the powertrain warranty? Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
They aren't called "STEALERS" for nothing. It is a sevice managers' job to bring in as much service revenue as possible. The better he is at it, the more he makes.
" Gadget's first rule: NEVER let the dealer touch your truck!!" BTW... how do you check for piston slap without looking at a piston, or looking at the cylinder walls? Anyone??? I guess fiber optic camera or something ?? Or just by sound? Doed slight detonation "sound" like piston slap?? Anyone??

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
piston slap

rojodiablo said:
how do you check for piston slap without looking at a piston, or looking at the cylinder walls? Anyone??? I guess fiber optic camera or something ?? Or just by sound?

That's a good question, I'd like to know the answer to that as well! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
wslytoy said:
That's a good question, I'd like to know the answer to that as well! Peace, Wes
well how bout doing some research instead of just posting more bogus crap about how you would love to hear about it, or if you had the money you would buy it, ive seen you post more junk posts than anyone on any message board ever... atleast your good for a bump i guess.

·
Registered
279 Posts
4wdriller said:
I know the 2.7 Ls are susceptible to piston slap (I have a 2001 Xcab 4x4 Auto). Still, I wanted the cold knocking sound checked out. The dealer wanted to charge a $98 "inspection fee" even though the truck is still covered by the powertrain warranty. When I asked to see where it said that fee was allowable for a warranty inspection, the service guy couldn't find a copy of a warranty. He's standing inside a freakin' Toyota dealership in suburban Chicago! Come on. At my request, he brought my truck back and I left. My question is has anyone else heard of this "inspection fee" once the truck is out of the 3 year/36K warranty, but still under the powertrain warranty? Thanks.

Kevin
They pulled the same shite on me right before my powertrain warranty expired. Since the problem turned out to be powertrain related and was a warranty repair the inspection fee was credited to my account.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
rojodiablo said:
They aren't called "STEALERS" for nothing. It is a sevice managers' job to bring in as much service revenue as possible. The better he is at it, the more he makes.
" Gadget's first rule: NEVER let the dealer touch your truck!!" BTW... how do you check for piston slap without looking at a piston, or looking at the cylinder walls? Anyone??? I guess fiber optic camera or something ?? Or just by sound? Doed slight detonation "sound" like piston slap?? Anyone??
First thing, you are entitled to your opinion, but it sterotyping is a sign of ignorance. To insinuate that everyone is corrupt if they make their living by producing revenue for the company they work for is simply wrong. Even Gadget makes more money by producing more revenue, so by your definition he's stealing? I don't think so.

I am not a technician, I am a parts guy. There are several TTORA members who are experienced Toyota Technicians and Service Advisors on the board that can offer a great deal better insight than I can, but they probably wouldn't reply to your question because of your insulting forward.

Your questions about piston slap are valid.

It is not uncommon to see teardowns authorized strictly by sound (I haven't seen it done as a result of the early morning knocking we 2.7l owners are used to).

I am not aware of a Toyota-specific procedure that will result in a diagnosis of this specific issue. Generally speaking, higher than normal levels of wear related materials in oil analysis samples is one sign to the cause, type & severity of damage (if any) being caused. Also, if it is severe enough and goes on long enough vertical piston and cylinder wall scuffing/scratching or scoring on the hammering (noisy) cylinders can be seen upon visual inspection. Tear-down will normally only be authorized if oil analysis has been performed after several other confirming symptoms have occurred (for instance reduced combustion chamber compression on the hammering (noisy) cylinders, increased oil consumption and/or increased exhaust emissions.

Also, generally speaking, these issues are the extreme side for slap/knock that occurs to excess. To my knowledge, the very short, cold start slap inherent in the 2.7 has not produced any long-term issues. This is arguably one of the strongest engines Toyota has ever produced.

Good Luck!

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
4wdriller said:

Kevin
Inspection fees are not uncommon, but if the diagnosis is a warranty item any fees/costs are recoverable. Simple as that.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Post Nazi!

DesertTRD said:
well how bout doing some research instead of just posting more bogus crap about how you would love to hear about it, or if you had the money you would buy it, ive seen you post more junk posts than anyone on any message board ever... atleast your good for a bump i guess.
well considering the fact that this is a message board for RESEARCH, I think me posting something about an engine that I have, that YOU don't have, is certainly more viable than you bitch-posting about how you don't like what I post. Now, I think posting your opinion about some1 is a lot more worthless than me posting about how I'm interested in something. I'll leave it at that, I know how you like your lil pissing matches, so I'll let you play by yourself!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
wslytoy said:
well considering the fact that this is a message board for RESEARCH, I think me posting something about an engine that I have, that YOU don't have, is certainly more viable than you bitch-posting about how you don't like what I post. Now, I think posting your opinion about some1 is a lot more worthless than me posting about how I'm interested in something. I'll leave it at that, I know how you like your lil pissing matches, so I'll let you play by yourself!
its not just me, alot of the people i talk to say you post worthless shit, hell i went back threw and looked at all your posts and 99% of them are bumps.

·
Banned
598 Posts
i saw some special spark plugs that allows one to "see" into the cylinders while the motor is running, but probably wont work for letting one see the piston to valve clearances.

if not running, a bore scope through the plug hole may suffice.

·
Registered
282 Posts
DesertTRD said:
its not just me, alot of the people i talk to say you post worthless shit, hell i went back threw and looked at all your posts and 99% of them are bumps.
Hey bro, ease up. I mean, if you had a 96 Taco with a 2.7, wouldn't you be concerned about warranty issues? :xpimp:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
valkyrie said:
First thing, you are entitled to your opinion, but it sterotyping is a sign of ignorance. To insinuate that everyone is corrupt if they make their living by producing revenue for the company they work for is simply wrong. Even Gadget makes more money by producing more revenue, so by your definition he's stealing? I don't think so.

I am not a technician, I am a parts guy. There are several TTORA members who are experienced Toyota Technicians and Service Advisors on the board that can offer a great deal better insight than I can, but they probably wouldn't reply to your question because of your insulting forward.

It is not uncommon to see teardowns authorized strictly by sound (I haven't seen it done as a result of the early morning knocking we 2.7l owners are used to).

I am not aware of a Toyota-specific procedure that will result in a diagnosis of this specific issue. Generally speaking, higher than normal levels of wear related materials in oil analysis samples is one sign to the cause, type & severity of damage (if any) being caused. Also, if it is severe enough and goes on long enough vertical piston and cylinder wall scuffing/scratching or scoring on the hammering (noisy) cylinders can be seen upon visual inspection. Tear-down will normally only be authorized if oil analysis has been performed after several other confirming symptoms have occurred (for instance reduced combustion chamber compression on the hammering (noisy) cylinders, increased oil consumption and/or increased exhaust emissions.

Also, generally speaking, these issues are the extreme side for slap/knock that occurs to excess. To my knowledge, the very short, cold start slap inherent in the 2.7 has not produced any long-term issues. This is arguably one of the strongest engines Toyota has ever produced.

Good Luck!
Thank you, Chris. I agree, not all dealers are bad, nor are the service techs all crooked. Sorry for insinuating that. Thanks for the info.... A lot has been asked about the piston slap thing, and I didn't think it was as bad as it sounded, and was wondering how to check it. And, to those who are not necessarily crooked, just making "$ure" they cover the bases. Thanks, you dicks. Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
valkyrie said:

Good Luck!
All dealers and people who work there are crooked especially in the parts dept. $3 for a plastic clip?. It's a known fact (at my house) that the farther south they are, the dirtier they are. I read it on Pirate. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm taking it to an independent shop. BTW, the noise is virtually non-existent outside of winter. It's during the Dec-Feb timeframe that the knocking (slapping) is evident. Also, there's no increased oil usage or notable discloration of the oil. It just sucks because my 99 Tacoma with the same engine was quiet from the get-go, regardless of the season.

·
Registered
282 Posts
valkyrie said:
Hey mallet- the original guy has an '01.

You free for happy hour later? :)
It's Mullet to you. Go back and reread my post, you wslytool.
Yes, and feel free to cut me off before I get too drunk. Cracker. lol :xpimp: :xbeer2: :xbarf:

·
Banned
262 Posts
SteveO said:
All dealers and people who work there are crooked especially in the parts dept. $3 for a plastic clip?. It's a known fact (at my house) that the farther south they are, the dirtier they are. I read it on Pirate. :)
That's total bullshit.
I run the accessory department at a dodge dealer,and the local clubs I am a paid sponsor for get 10% over dealer cost on parts from me. plus I still have my sales license, and give people great deals on vehicles. Maybe if you developed a relationship with smeone at your local dealership, you'd get treated with respect. my local toyota place hooks me up, and has even before I was in the business.

But if you come in, since you are used to being ripped off, I'll amke sure to fuck you over. :rolleyes:

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
HardTaco said:
That's total bullshit.
I run the accessory department at a dodge dealer,and the local clubs I am a paid sponsor for get 10% over dealer cost on parts from me. plus I still have my sales license, and give people great deals on vehicles. Maybe if you developed a relationship with smeone at your local dealership, you'd get treated with respect. my local toyota place hooks me up, and has even before I was in the business.

But if you come in, since you are used to being ripped off, I'll amke sure to fuck you over. :rolleyes:
Easy:) ... he was just fucking with me. Crazy Canucks!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
meaningless shit

dostacos said:
actually if he had a 96 with a 2.7 he would kill himself :)

No, I would just post meaningless shit and bump up posts, LOL!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts