TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have been searching and reading and so on and so forth until my eyes bleed. On my 92 I can easily squeeze a 37 or bigger so 37s are what I'm looking at . I've been. Considering going with trailworthy fab double beadlocks 8 bolt recentered for Toyota at 3" backspacing ... Now for tires I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible because well I'm not rich and am wanting to be my best bang for the buck but not be regretting it either... With that being said should I pony up for some intercos , pitbulls, etc or do u think the Goodyear MTs grooved are worth it? Reason I'm asking is cuz well I can't find any good comparisons on the grooved tires and the truck will also see plenty of pavement time. I've also been considering treadwrights guard dog in the same flavor. Anyways any opinions are appreciated just trying to get some Toyota specific opinions

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ok guys I have been searching and reading and so on and so forth until my eyes bleed. On my 92 I can easily squeeze a 37 or bigger so 37s are what I'm looking at . I've been. Considering going with trailworthy fab double beadlocks 8 bolt recentered for Toyota at 3" backspacing ... Now for tires I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible because well I'm not rich and am wanting to be my best bang for the buck but not be regretting it either... With that being said should I pony up for some intercos , pitbulls, etc or do u think the Goodyear MTs grooved are worth it? Reason I'm asking is cuz well I can't find any good comparisons on the grooved tires and the truck will also see plenty of pavement time. I've also been considering treadwrights guard dog in the same flavor. Anyways any opinions are appreciated just trying to get some Toyota specific opinions
The good years suck for lots of trail time. They are stiff and dont flex all that well. They get kickass mileage though. Interco is good shit. havent seen any pitbull tires upclose yet:mad: The goodyears do have the best price around though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the goodyears I was thinking of either buying trail readys grooved tires or even buying treadwrights retread. Or buying normal militaries and grooving them myself as well as siping

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
On the goodyears I was thinking of either buying trail readys grooved tires or even buying treadwrights retread. Or buying normal militaries and grooving them myself as well as siping
I really like those retreaded military tires, I just have no experience with the military tire carcasses. If you're planning to run 16.5s those are likely your best bet price/availability wise it's been getting harder and harder to get 16.5s across the board for the non .gov tires.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know it's getting harder and harder but Being a poor boy with an expensive hobby it's the only way I could see getting 37s on beadlocks without having more in my meats than the truck. And I have some 285s on Mtr cases from treadwright and love them although I haven't got to beat on them because of lack of t case actuator

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Look at it this way. You are going to spend a pretty good grip of $$$ on double beadlocks that are going to be obsolete the next time you need to get tires. So, at that point you won't even be able to sell them to people.

I have wheeled with a guy in a FJ80 with the 37" Goodyear military retreads from Treadrwight. Sidewalls from the military tires are still suspect(always have been). He had blown one sidewall already on them. And, IMHO there are much better tires out there. Are they cheap? Yes, but what are you really getting? A weaker carcass than most everything else out there these days.

I know i talked to you about this last week. But, you will end up saving money in the long run by going to 17s now.

Next thing you need to ask yourself is "Do I really need beadlocks?"

In all my wheeling years I have yet to turn a tire off of an aluminum wheel. Not one. I don't run steel wheels because 1) they are too heavy, 2) they don't hold a bead for shit once you get dust into the bead, 3) the podercoated inner bead is too smooth and allows the tire to spin in the rim and let the bead slip off. Get a good aluminum wheel and the bead should hold just fine for years of wheeling. Most aluminum wheels have a machinned inner bead that will help hold the bead a hell of a lot better than a steel wheel.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now there's def some input I can go with thanks yet again Scotty I had completely forgot about mine and your conversation

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Btw Scotty what would u do sell the 36s on 15s to put toward some 37s or 38s in a 17 or just wheel em till they're toast?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Btw Scotty what would u do sell the 36s on 15s to put toward some 37s or 38s in a 17 or just wheel em till they're toast?
Hard to say. It really depends on what the market brings in your area.

But, I would sell them when you can still get $$$ for them now. When they are bald, they aren't worth $hit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think I'm going to test the waters on selling them because they are bias plys and well considering the truck will still see plenty of pavement time I imagine it'd be best to sell them before they're bald lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
37x12.50r16.5 pitbull rocker radials or 37x12.50r15 rocker radials?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts