TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I posted here a few weeks ago trying to gather info on legalizing my rig for HI specs (thanks BTW) and now I am looking for househunting info...

I got my orders last week so I am scheduled to detach here in the end of september, make an epic voyage cross country to my hometown on the central coast of CA (stopping in between at MOAB and the Rubicon! :kewl: ) and I must report no later than october 30th to my command on Oahu! Anyways, my question is where are the good areas to look to live? I will be working at the naval base at pearl harbor. I am willing to make a bit of a commute (not much more than 45min or so without traffic) if it is worth it and keep in mind I am a married E-4 with wife and 1 year old daughter so I am not anywhere near "rollin in the dough." :rolleyes: I was going to take navy housing but they have rules against pitbulls and rotty's and I have the sweetest most loving rotty around and we dont want to have to live without her. I need at least a 2 bedroom. A garage would be a HUGE bonus but we are not greedy. We would love to try to buy if the opportunity arrises but a rental hopfully under $1800 a month would be great! Anyways, I will stop blabbing now. Thanks in advance and we cant wait to get out there to meet, wheel and SURF!!! :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
bosco said:
Hey guys. I posted here a few weeks ago trying to gather info on legalizing my rig for HI specs (thanks BTW) and now I am looking for househunting info...

I got my orders last week so I am scheduled to detach here in the end of september, make an epic voyage cross country to my hometown on the central coast of CA (stopping in between at MOAB and the Rubicon! :kewl: ) and I must report no later than october 30th to my command on Oahu! Anyways, my question is where are the good areas to look to live? I will be working at the naval base at pearl harbor. I am willing to make a bit of a commute (not much more than 45min or so without traffic) if it is worth it and keep in mind I am a married E-4 with wife and 1 year old daughter so I am not anywhere near "rollin in the dough." :rolleyes: I was going to take navy housing but they have rules against pitbulls and rotty's and I have the sweetest most loving rotty around and we dont want to have to live without her. I need at least a 2 bedroom. A garage would be a HUGE bonus but we are not greedy. We would love to try to buy if the opportunity arrises but a rental hopfully under $1800 a month would be great! Anyways, I will stop blabbing now. Thanks in advance and we cant wait to get out there to meet, wheel and SURF!!! :D
congrats on moving to the best place on earth.... (well, you'll be on o'ahu, so your a few islands away from the best place :) ) about your housing situation... they were calling it a crisis a few months back. with the low interest, the market exploded - everyone sold, and rentals were really hard to find. they are definately around though, and the market kinda slowed down a bit. as far as getting a house, you may have to put up with a little commute. since you're already out in pearl harbor, somplace in aiea/moanalua would be really ideal and close to where you work... there are some town houses and stuff i'm sure people lease/rent out. ewa beach is a little farther out, but still quite doable - i wish i had a realtor or some kind of hook-up for you, but i don't... good luck with your house hunt, and have fun exploring the island... sadly, not too many places to wheel on o'ahu - but there is lots to do there.

~aloha~

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ainokea said:
congrats on moving to the best place on earth.... (well, you'll be on o'ahu, so your a few islands away from the best place :) ) about your housing situation... they were calling it a crisis a few months back. with the low interest, the market exploded - everyone sold, and rentals were really hard to find. they are definately around though, and the market kinda slowed down a bit. as far as getting a house, you may have to put up with a little commute. since you're already out in pearl harbor, somplace in aiea/moanalua would be really ideal and close to where you work... there are some town houses and stuff i'm sure people lease/rent out. ewa beach is a little farther out, but still quite doable - i wish i had a realtor or some kind of hook-up for you, but i don't... good luck with your house hunt, and have fun exploring the island... sadly, not too many places to wheel on o'ahu - but there is lots to do there.

~aloha~
Thanks man, we are very excited! I have always felt that Hawaii is the place where I SHOULD have been born! Well Kauai to be specific! :D I wish you had a realtor for me as well. Thanks for the info, I will continue to search. Luckily the navy will pay for a hotel (nice ones!) for up to 72 days so I will have plenty of time to look when I get there also, not that I want to live in a hotel for that long... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bosco, congrats on the move out here! I'm in the Coast Guard, and when I came out here, I found my place here: http://www.dodreferral.com/index_new.php. It's a pretty good site, dealing mostly with rentals, but it has a fair amount of "for sale" stuff, too. My biggest advice: don't buy/rent before you see it! Looking at pics online and mapping out addresses can lead you to think something looks really nice or is in a great area, but when you see it in person, you'll could be unpleasently surprised!
If you have any questions that your sponsor can't seem to help you with, shoot me a PM! Good luck on the trip out, too!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wradar said:
Bosco, congrats on the move out here! I'm in the Coast Guard, and when I came out here, I found my place here: http://www.dodreferral.com/index_new.php. It's a pretty good site, dealing mostly with rentals, but it has a fair amount of "for sale" stuff, too. My biggest advice: don't buy/rent before you see it! Looking at pics online and mapping out addresses can lead you to think something looks really nice or is in a great area, but when you see it in person, you'll could be unpleasently surprised!
If you have any questions that your sponsor can't seem to help you with, shoot me a PM! Good luck on the trip out, too!
Thanks man! We learned our lesson about looking for places online when I transfered to Jacksonville. The places that looked awesome turned out to be dumps and the places that looked like a dump turned out to be awesome? I am just going to research a ton before we get there and then take full advantage of my house hunting leave! :D Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
dont forget to check with quarantine for your dogs
there is a procedure that will minimize the stay for your dogs at the quarantine station.
if you dont do the so called fast track, your dogs may have to spend up to 6 months there.

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm

5 day stay checklist
http://www.hawaiiag.org/AQS/aqs-checklist-5.pdf

might wanna check out
pearl city
aiea
moanalua
salt lake

these are neighboring places to pearl harbor
later

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man! Ya, I am already on top of the animal thing. What a HUG PITA!!! By the time its all said and done with these animals are gonna cost me a grand!!!!! :eek: Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
358 Posts
What's up guys? Looks like may be making a move to Oahu as well. I will be stationed at the Marine Corps base there. I am also in the same situation looking for a place to live over there. I may just live on base but I am seeing what prices for 2-3 bedrooms are going for out in town. Any suggestions on where to rent a decent 2-3 bedroom house there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you like to wheel, you're going to hate oahu.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you like to wheel, you're going to hate oahu.
That sucks...at least I love to surf and do just about anything else outdoors also! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts