TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I've only been without my Taco for 8 days, I'm already planning the next build up since finances can only improve from this point :eek: Likely a few months off, but a brotha can dream.

I'm set on a 98-00 Taco, I'd considered a SFA rig (XJ, etc...), but I can't picture myself owning anything but a compact truck.

In order to achieve the maximum tire-minimum lift solution, I'm thinking about glass fenders. How do these hold up to tight trails where they may be hitting trees, etc...? What about sub-freezing winter wheeling, are glass fenders prone to cracking?

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
mudferret said:
Although I've only been without my Taco for 8 days, I'm already planning the next build up since finances can only improve from this point :eek: Likely a few months off, but a brotha can dream.

I'm set on a 98-00 Taco, I'd considered a SFA rig (XJ, etc...), but I can't picture myself owning anything but a compact truck.

In order to achieve the maximum tire-minimum lift solution, I'm thinking about glass fenders. How do these hold up to tight trails where they may be hitting trees, etc...? What about sub-freezing winter wheeling, are glass fenders prone to cracking?
I dont know about cold weather but at least if they crack you can fix them by adding more fiber glass and resin. At least thats what we do when airplanes come in with cracked fiber glass cowlings.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Here is 35s, Fiberglass Fenders, 2" BL and OME 882s

I may take off the BL after the SAS, depending on my final stance.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Here is 35s, Fiberglass Fenders, 2" BL and OME 882s

I may take off the BL after the SAS, depending on my final stance.

How much lift are you running total?

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
mudferret said:

DAMN BRO I COULDN'T IMAGINE BEING TACOLESS, THE THOUGHT OF IT FREAKS ME OUT

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
mudferret said:
Although I've only been without my Taco for 8 days, I'm already planning the next build up since finances can only improve from this point :eek: Likely a few months off, but a brotha can dream. I'm set on a 98-00 Taco, I'd considered a SFA rig (XJ, etc...), but I can't picture myself owning anything but a compact truck. In order to achieve the maximum tire-minimum lift solution, I'm thinking about glass fenders. How do these hold up to tight trails where they may be hitting trees, etc...? What about sub-freezing winter wheeling, are glass fenders prone to cracking?
I would think the fiberglass fenders would crack moderately easily when knocked against trees/rocks, especially if it's really cold out. But like the one guy said, I assume it'd be fairly easy to repair them if they did. Of course, getting it to come out smoothly may be the bigger challenge.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
synovus said:
I would think the fiberglass fenders would crack moderately easily when knocked against trees/rocks, especially if it's really cold out. But like the one guy said, I assume it'd be fairly easy to repair them if they did. Of course, getting it to come out smoothly may be the bigger challenge.
Not really.. Remove fender from the truck, dremell out where the crack is (to remove any lose glass, and to give the new resin something to stick to. Then (here is the secret) duck tape some wax paper to the back side of the crack. resin, enough chop-mat to fill the dremelled out crack, overlaping the sides of the crack a bit, with more resin on top of it. let that cure for a few hours, then put a layer of resin, let cure. repeat chop-mat layer, let cure, then make up for any dips, etc with bondo, and sand smooth. obviously you can remove the wax paper after the first chopmat and resin layer is cured.

I do lots of repairs to fiberglass boat hulls :\

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
synovus said:

I have not managed to crack mine yet.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
atwinda said:
Not really.. Remove fender from the truck, dremell out where the crack is (to remove any lose glass, and to give the new resin something to stick to. Then (here is the secret) duck tape some wax paper to the back side of the crack. resin, enough chop-mat to fill the dremelled out crack, overlaping the sides of the crack a bit, with more resin on top of it. let that cure for a few hours, then put a layer of resin, let cure. repeat chop-mat layer, let cure, then make up for any dips, etc with bondo, and sand smooth. obviously you can remove the wax paper after the first chopmat and resin layer is cured.

I do lots of repairs to fiberglass boat hulls :\
Yeah, I realize fiberglass is fairly easy to repair and/or work with, but the hassle of it comes when someone who doesn't do it very often or has never done it before tries getting a proper, smooth surface that doesn't look like its been repaired. All the sanding and finishing can be a big headache compared to the actual fiberglassing part; that's all I was saying.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Ted said:
I've been using the steering wheel to avoid trees, and rocks.
that usually works prety well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
synovus said:
Have you hit them hard on rocks or trees? Mall curbs?
Ive hit some pretty big brush, enough to slow me down and i havent cracked a fender yet...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts