TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my girlfriend and i are planning to head over to corral canyon saturday to camp and then head out on the trails early sunday morning. i heard there was a huge fire last year that nearly wiped out the whole park. is that true and if so is it open? if it is open, what kind of terrain can i expect? i plan on going through los pinos look out, espinoza trail and taking the full loop around los pinos road and end up around bobcat meadow campground, i picked up one of those books by charles a. wells( http://www.4x4books.com/gtcas.htm ) that has all the trails for southern california and he ranked los pinos lookout trail as moderate. the question is, can my truck make it? all the mods to my truck are in my sig. i just bought some new tires today to replace the worn out 31s on my truck so i think i will be good in that department. also for those of you who have camped there, which campground would you recommend staying at? the corral canyon campground or the bobcat meadow campground? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Corral canyon is open
stay at the corral canyon campground, cooler cuz of oak trees/shade, nice water pump at the east end of the CG.

of the trails you mentioned only the espinoza loop would possibly leave you with damage the rest are fire roads. i think espinoza is open now, and unless it was widened for the Horse Fire it will give you pinstriping, and there is one waterfall where sliiders can help. There will be people out there so try to hook up with someone or i might try to come out!

CC is my motorcycle stomping grounds and i have wheeled the area pretty extensively and even led a TTORA trip there:rolleyes:

if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Mike

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Corral canyon is open
stay at the corral canyon campground, cooler cuz of oak trees/shade, nice water pump at the east end of the CG.

of the trails you mentioned only the espinoza loop would possibly leave you with damage the rest are fire roads. i think espinoza is open now, and unless it was widened for the Horse Fire it will give you pinstriping, and there is one waterfall where sliiders can help. There will be people out there so try to hook up with someone or i might try to come out!

CC is my motorcycle stomping grounds and i have wheeled the area pretty extensively and even led a TTORA trip there:rolleyes:

if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Mike
Well I guess we will be there in June for a day run then:) I know you won't join us though Mike, so I won't be offended......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is still closed from what I last heard. They usually close places out here for 2-3 years for revegetation.

Why don't you just come out to our Calico event this weekend instead? You are part of this board, and the club, why not come wheel with us too?

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=808964#post808964
calico just seems to far to drive with the gas prices being as high as they are now. i would have loved to join you guys but its just to much money in gas(which i don't have :( ) once i start picking up more hours at my new job(sports authority) i will be able to make a few runs because i will have money. thanks tho.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Well I guess we will be there in June for a day run then:) I know you won't join us though Mike, so I won't be offended......

its just not my scene! yes i appreciate all this site has done for me, but no i dont need to or really have any desire to be stuck with all you for a weekend:D

that said i might see if there are other dirtbikers from here who would like a tour of corral that day, they would be amazed at the riding there.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nice to hear that it's open. Anyone seen pics on how much the fire destroyed?

Looks like Corral in June after all!

Darrin...should we see if there is any help the forest service needs out there?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

they have done a lot of work out there and will be doing more. there are 2 jeep clubs that sponser trails there and a group of mc riders are thinking about doing another. of course they are allways looking for more help but...

i guess if i hear of something I'll let ya know.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to hear that it's open. Anyone seen pics on how much the fire destroyed?

Looks like Corral in June after all!

i found this link. its a powerpoint of the damage that was done to corral canyon from the fire.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/fire/
i wonder how it looks now.

·
Registered
967 Posts
they have done a lot of work out there and will be doing more. there are 2 jeep clubs that sponser trails there and a group of mc riders are thinking about doing another. of course they are allways looking for more help but...

i guess if i hear of something I'll let ya know.

Mike
Thanks...Our lazy prez just waited till someone else came up with the info.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
i was out there last weekend, it has grown back alot but as i said all the old trails are now alot wider for use as fire breaks and access for the trucks...there ya go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts