Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whitey-Morph

This winter.....

1. Floating rear axle conversion.... Link to Front Range Off-Road

2. pinion e-brake

Then....
This Springtime...
3. SAS :saw: :welder:

I'd like to find parts locally, in case any one knows of some... I'll need a complete SFA for the conversion, and hubs, spindles, calipers from SFA for the rear conversion....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
sounds like you got alot to do...:welder: I really really want one of those tcase brakes. Let us know how it turns out cause ive read alot of mixed opinions on them.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
awww, i liked whitey how she is.....

but she is gonna look purdy with some good footing :D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like you got alot to do...:welder: I really really want one of those tcase brakes. Let us know how it turns out cause ive read alot of mixed opinions on them.
The deal on the brake is... I have to find some 1980 Supra rear calipers and hardware if I want e-brake on the calipers... Im thinkin it might be hard to find... so easier, and almost cheaper, to use stock front calipers, and move the
EBrake to the pinion.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Sweet Mikey... after getting into this rear disk conversion myself, I'm beginning to think I should'a gone FF... maybe on the next project :D
Don't forget you have that housing over here. You ought'a use it to build on.

Had a pinion brake on Brian's '92, worked well. Gotta get one for BR... it's an easy install.

As for the SAS; you goin' bigger tars too??? :dancing:
All Pro has a really good sale going on their SAS stuff. I was within .001" of getting their extream kit for BR but chickened out... too close to Christmas! :eek:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that housing is in your way... ;) ... but its not an 85 front axle!!
If i knew where to get some SUPRA brakes from that 79-81 series, I guess it would be simpler than going to a pinion brake, but... I think its less trouble than trolling for those parts.
and stop calling me sweet cuz I'm NOT :p :p :p LOL

Sweet Mikey... after getting into this rear disk conversion myself, I'm beginning to think I should'a gone FF... maybe on the next project :D
Don't forget you have that housing over here. You ought'a use it to build on.

Had a pinion brake on Brian's '92, worked well. Gotta get one for BR... it's an easy install.

As for the SAS; you goin' bigger tars too??? :dancing:
All Pro has a really good sale going on their SAS stuff. I was within .001" of getting their extream kit for BR but chickened out... too close to Christmas! :eek:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
wilwood has a rear brake calipers with a cable actuated ebrake in them. let me find the link

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
The deal on the brake is... I have to find some 1980 Supra rear calipers and hardware if I want e-brake on the calipers... Im thinkin it might be hard to find... so easier, and almost cheaper, to use stock front calipers, and move the
EBrake to the pinion.
FWIW, from what Ive read, no one has perfected the pinion brake yet.

And even if you do get hold of one that works, if you break an axle shaft, driveshaft, or even the ring and pinion, you lose your link to the wheels.

ie no driveshaft, no link to apply the holding power to the wheels.

Its best to keep the applied brake power at the wheel. so Id recommend finding the Supra calipers.

on of the main reasons I was attracted to the 9.5 FJ80 axle, besides the disc brakes (main reason) the FF (2nd reason) and the added the beef, was the fact I could keep a factory operated ebrake, at the wheel, with no difficult to obtain parts.

im not saying you need an fj80 axle, im just suggesting rockin the supra calipers over the the pinion brake setup.

and while Im at it with 33x10's I assume your main motivation is the disc brakes and not the strength of the FF, it just happens to be a bonus I reckon? just curious :p

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FF and DB just sorta came in the same package there....
If you put it in 4wd, with the pinion brake, you have all 4 wheels stopped.
I do see your point about having the parking brake at the wheel...

And even if you do get hold of one that works, if you break an axle shaft, driveshaft, or even the ring and pinion, you lose your link to the wheels.

Its best to keep the applied brake power at the wheel. so Id recommend finding the Supra calipers.

on of the main reasons I was attracted to the 9.5 FJ80 axle, besides the disc brakes (main reason) the FF (2nd reason) and the added the beef, was the fact I could keep a factory operated ebrake, at the wheel, with no difficult to obtain parts.

im not saying you need an fj80 axle, im just suggesting rockin the supra calipers over the the pinion brake setup.

and while Im at it with 33x10's I assume your main motivation is the disc brakes and not the strength of the FF, it just happens to be a bonus I reckon? just curious :p

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
only... their "find my vehicle" system doesnt recognize our trucks... like they don't make anything for ours....
just cause they dont make one for our trucks doesnt mean it cant be modified to make it work:D

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

i never thought about that. thats a good point

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I know that housing is in your way... ;) ... but its not an 85 front axle!!
YOU know it's not in the way!! Oh... and there's an '85 front axle sitting right next to it. But it ain't fer sale!! :p

If i knew where to get some SUPRA brakes from that 79-81 series, I guess it would be simpler than going to a pinion brake, but... I think its less trouble than trolling for those parts.
Yeah, probably so. If you find two sets lemme know... serious.
Also keep in mind, when a pinion brake is set, there is a LOT more "truck movement" due to all the backlash etc...

and stop calling me sweet cuz I'm NOT :p :p :p LOL
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, probably so. If you find two sets lemme know... serious.
Also keep in mind, when a pinion brake is set, there is a LOT more "truck movement" due to all the backlash etc...
Yeah, its like having your tranny in gear to park... which is normal... actually, I have gotten in the habit of doing that in addition to setting the parking brake, after getting a call one day from a co-worker, telling me Whitey was blocking the exit to our parking lot LOL.
and
There's HOPE, why didn't I think of this earlier? Celica-Supra sites, like 4Runner sites, laden with people parting old Celicas! I'll find at least two sets and save one for you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try looking for parts here. type in any car you think you want parts for. If they have it in Georgia it will be on here:
http://car-part.com/

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Hey Mike... just so you know, in the VERY VERY near future, I will have my '85 front for sale with 4.10's in it. :)

1 - 20 of 170 Posts