TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 double cab long bed trd sport. I was kind of sketchy about owning a truck with a plastic bed and before I bought it I did not hear any bad news about them and this still hold true today. However, today I was walking in the bed of my truck when it was empty and I stepped next to the wheelwell on the driver side and heard a crack. I looked and did not see any cracks, so i walked around in that area a little more and jumped lightly on it and heard a crack one more time but that was it after jumping on it for another 5 min after. Yeah, some might say well if you heard a crack why jump more, but I have not carried a heavy load yet and I am going to vacation camping in month and I want to make sure that I do not have any problems at that point. Has anyone heard of a bed cracking or breaking on an 06 long bed????? I think it was motor trend who wrote a review on the truck and said that they drove it from Alaska to CA, and at one point the metal toolbox that was in that back got loose and started banging around but no damage was done to the bed. Sounds good but I am still a little concerned since it is plastic.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
These two incidents caused cracking, resulting in bed replacement.

Jumping up and down in my bed and crap like this hasn't.

There's a lot of weight there....close to a thousand pounds. I've hauled more and uglier stuff and haven't been gentle with it. It'll take punishment but not hard, direct hits.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was also a little concerned about this but I too have used and abused my trucks plastic bed as you say. I had a Aerator that I was using and I repeatedly rolled it up a ramp and rolled it into the back of my bed and never had any real problems. It did however have the lever that controls the spikes fall down a few time and those spikes that punch holes in you lawn did practically nothing to the bed. It is still as stong as ever with a few nicks here and there.

SO in my opinion It works great and I have had no problems.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’ve had mine loaded to the gills and it has held up pretty good. I wouldn’t drill any holes in it for accessories though, I’m sure it would be fine but Toyota would probably void the warranty if you did.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i wonder if will start to become brittle over time due to UV lights from the sun...its pretty strong...only damage i have is when a transmission i had in the back got loose and slammed it pretty hard..but even then...its not that bad...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Another point....even with general cracking, neither incident caused any separation of interior fibers or went completely through the composite material. If cost of replacement had fallen on me, I wouldn't have replaced it either time. In fact, I kept one of the beds for a spare just in case this one ever has to be replaced on my nickel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, I have a lot more confidence in the bed now. My only other concern is the slight frame flex, but I guess thats the nature of the beast when the wheelbase is so long.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I guess you can check underneath your bed for cracks. it probably cracked underneath so that's why you couldn't see anything

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
As a kid... uh... way back... I had a metal toy Tonka Truck and a later Plastic version of the same truck... Which one do you all think is still surviving ?

Now why in my right mind... would I ever buy a real plastic truck...

:suicide:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I've hauled all sorts of shit in mine, including over 1400 lbs of slate and no issues.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As a kid... uh... way back... I had a metal toy Tonka Truck and a later Plastic version of the same truck... Which one do you all think is still surviving ?

Now why in my right mind... would I ever buy a real plastic truck...

:suicide:

I concur. The plastic tonka's that got left in the sandbox became brittle and cracked due to the UV. The metal one's developed a little surface rust but a rattle can always fixed them up. :D

These new beds piss me off. They're the major reason that I didn't and wouldn't buy a new Tacoma. I don't care how tough some people say they are either.. Let's see how the hold up 10 years from now with UV exposure.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You can avoid most of the UV issues by putting the rubber bed mat in. It also keeps the composite from getting all chewed up. My .002

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm in AZ and the truck is loaded with all my gear from the weekend trip, so I can't take photos yet, but my bed has started to crack, actually split where the sides of the composite bed meet the area behind the cab. Photos are worth a thousand words, so when I get back to San Diego I will take some pics and post. In all fairness to the bed, I have a heavy rack on there full time, but I guarantee a metal bed wouldn't be doing that shit. On more thing I've gotta fix now. I think I will just custom build a bed with exterior storage and get rid of that composite crap.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm in AZ and the truck is loaded with all my gear from the weekend trip, so I can't take photos yet, but my bed has started to crack, actually split where the sides of the composite bed meet the area behind the cab. Photos are worth a thousand words, so when I get back to San Diego I will take some pics and post. In all fairness to the bed, I have a heavy rack on there full time, but I guarantee a metal bed wouldn't be doing that shit. On more thing I've gotta fix now. I think I will just custom build a bed with exterior storage and get rid of that composite crap.
Heavy racks will crack metal beds too. Look around the attach points where a rack has been bolted to a metal bed for some time.:2cents:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Heavy racks will crack metal beds too. Look around the attach points where a rack has been bolted to a metal bed for some time.:2cents:
At least with metal it is a simple weld for a fix. When I post the photos you will see that this is more than a simple crack.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did not have a bed crack but I did have a bed mount in the front broke loose. It has a plastic mount with a steel sleeve insert that stick out longer than the mount. I sent it to the dealer that ordered a new bed but when thay received it, it was made the same way so thay took my old bed and shaved the sleeve down to make it flush. The body shop said thay will see a bunch of these in the future.

·
Registered
803 Posts
At least with metal it is a simple weld for a fix. When I post the photos you will see that this is more than a simple crack.
I agree it's an easier fix for most folks but composites can be repaired fairly easy too, just depends on what you're used to dealing with. I've been in the aviation industry all my life, so aluminuum and composites are easier for me to fix than steel. :2cents:

You're right though, sometimes it's easier and more cost effective to just replace a composite part than try and fix it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts