TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading Four Wheeler Magazine today, and I noticed an article about one of their project rigs. In it, they said they used 1/2" cutting-board plastic (the type bread cutting boards are made of) for a front skid plate. They claim it works well sliding over rocks. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried such a thing. Seems like the idea may have promise. If it could stand up to the abuse, Id imagine it would be a very lowcost and lightweight form of trail armor. Thoughts/experiences/opinions????

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Opinion here....I think using 1/2" would be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe use some 1/8" or 1/4" and add it to your existing plate? I do think it would help sliding off rocks and protect the skid some as that stuff is pretty slippery. There are other colors available too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats not a bad idea either. Im wondering how they bend that thick stuff. If your using it as a front skid plate, its going to need a bend. I wonder if they force, heat it or order it that way?

I see what your saying, use it on top of your existing skid plate, so it'll slide better. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
When I get a chance I am looking at building a frame that would do away with the stock front skids and use the 1/2 inch cutting board in its place. Similar to the way the new Demello front skids are setup. I was just goingn to do a bevel cut and an over lap to get around that angle. I just need to do it thats all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another reason I brought this subject up is because I see this stuff often at the trucking company I work for. We ship this type of plastic for one of our customers, so Ive seen damn near every possible color imaginable. But we also use this type of plastic in our trailers. We line the base of the walls of the trailers with 3/4" black plastic, simliar to the cutting board type, so as to protect the trailer walls from being torn up by forklift tires, forks, and pallets. The stuff takes a beating! Ive ran straight into it w/ and 8000lb forklift, and it doesnt puncture, it just bends in a bit. Thats why Im very curious to see if it would work for armor purposes....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jtaco1 said:
When I get a chance I am looking at building a frame that would do away with the stock front skids and use the 1/2 inch cutting board in its place. Similar to the way the new Demello front skids are setup. I was just goingn to do a bevel cut and an over lap to get around that angle. I just need to do it thats all.

Sounds like that would work too. The pic in the magazine looks like they just bent it, but that seems like a PITA. your way sounds easier.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
TacoTaco said:
Sounds like that would work too. The pic in the magazine looks like they just bent it, but that seems like a PITA. your way sounds easier.
Thanks, yeah the way they ran it in the picture I don't think would work for us, since our skids are more angular. I was also looking into something called Bullit, or something along those lines that they make tractor trailer walls out of, which is suposed to be really strong, but I think cost would be quit a bit.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
TacoTaco said:
So I was reading Four Wheeler Magazine today, and I noticed an article about one of their project rigs. In it, they said they used 1/2" cutting-board plastic (the type bread cutting boards are made of) for a front skid plate. They claim it works well sliding over rocks. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried such a thing. Seems like the idea may have promise. If it could stand up to the abuse, Id imagine it would be a very lowcost and lightweight form of trail armor. Thoughts/experiences/opinions????
I have sourced some material and will replace my stock skid with this in the future. I am doing it because it is also resistant to corrosion!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bryanccfshr said:
I have sourced some material and will replace my stock skid with this in the future. I am doing it because it is also resistant to corrosion!

I was only thinking about strength and weight, but corrosion is another good asp4ect of this stuff. Where did you find it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bryanccfshr said:
http://thecuttingboardfactory.com/M...?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TCBF&Category_Code=3x

Have fun browsing. I believe They can precut and bevel the edges for special sizes too. It's on my list along with a snorkel to prevgent sand ingestion.
Good link. This stuff looks exactly like the crap I ship at work. I think Im going to talk to the account manager for this company, see If I can get some hookups. It's a company called General Plastics up here in Tacoma. We usually ship it in big 4' x 8' sheets. Obviosuly thats a tad big for a skid plate, but I wonder if they have scraps they dont need....

·
Registered
68 Posts
How well does it hold up in the heat??
The So Cal Desert gets pretty hot in the summer and I have no doubt that the underside of the truck can hit 150 easy, would it just bend under the weight?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well many people use it in the kitchen as pot holders and such so i would think it could handle any heat you could find outside in nature.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
mandymh said:
How well does it hold up in the heat??
The So Cal Desert gets pretty hot in the summer and I have no doubt that the underside of the truck can hit 150 easy, would it just bend under the weight?
I would mount it in a manner that allows for some deflection under load. It won't dent like steel but it will give just a little bit. What you're trying to protect is the bottom of your radiator and your oilpan. If you mount it with that in mind the deflection caused by heat and impacts should not toouch those components.
This stuff will taking boiling hot water, but not a blow torch. I doubt the underside of the engine will get as hot as the hood for example.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I wonder how the plastic would hold up to rocks at cooler temps, such as those commonly found in higher elevetions or winter settings?

Plastics in general tend to become brittle as the temp drops, which means that catastrophic failure would be much more likely.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
WallyP226 said:
I wonder how the plastic would hold up to rocks at cooler temps, such as those commonly found in higher elevetions or winter settings?

Plastics in general tend to become brittle as the temp drops, which means that catastrophic failure would be much more likely.
Yes plastic becomes brittle as it gets colder, but you are speaking of temperatures in the -15 or below range when plastic gets extremely brittle. I would be hesitant if I lived in a colder climate. Perhaps a canadian or alaskan could prove me wrong.
Not a concern in my application, or in so cal

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I use poyethylene sheet for lots of projects. Some things to note, and to help you out. Poly is very temp tolerant, as it doesnt break down due to heat too bad. It is very soft, actually, and will sag under a truck for sure. We use heat guns, or ovens to bend the stuff. No torches, as they tend to blacken it, and boil it on the surface. I would skin a bumper bottom, or a skid plate with 3/16 or 1/4 inch sheet. A fair amount of fasteners will be needed, but no problem. Apply heat, and use clamps/ vises to gradually shape it the way you want it. The poly we use is white, but a company makes some stuff we use for marine use;boats& such called star-board. Basically the same stuff. Don't think you should use any abs type plastic, as it Tends to get STICKY when we cut it, and it heats up. Plus the abs will crack, shatter, fail. When I roadraced, we used poly for our knee pucks. I could lose the front end, have the bike fall on me, and sometimes just pick the bike up off the ground while sliding on that one puck, and keep going. It really slides well.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
hytenor said:
an interesting idea. I wonder if this stuff can be molded to a skid plate shape or cut and "welded" (or however you join plastic like this) to shape. Your link only lists flat sheets.
I would cut it to a shape that fit way back in the belly (perhaps even under the Tranny pan) my fastening locations. As Rojo said I would use a Heat gun to shape it< I would start at the back and fasten forward, Go to the crossmembers under the dif and fasten, Move forward and mold to fit with heat gun. THe front mounts I would pribably use 3 or 4 45° angle tabs welded onto the area where the stock Skidplate bolts to the front, this may require an aditional crossmember since this will be getting alot of load if the skid plate is put to good use. Again a small bit of square tubing may do the trick and add reenforcement to lower radiator protection (a pet peeve of mine).

Ventilation holes would easily be added with a hole saw. This stuff is easy to work with. I need to get under the truck and measure and start working on a template next time I am home. Also the fact that You can get it in black or various colors makes it not stand out of stand out alot depending on what you want.

Basicly The stock skidplate is hopeless, the next time it comes off I doubt it will go back on without some hammering and retapping. I am tired of messing with the tin can material and don't want to go to heavy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts