TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing the shock towers on my 85 (for motor mounts) I found a hole in the frame. I'm going to plate the frame to repair, but thought I'd post up and see if anybody has some advice about the weak points up front to figure out how far out to extend the plating.

I will be putting in the cross over steering with it's associated plating, so from there back up over the axle (where I have the hole) back to where the shock hoops will mount is a given, but how much further back should I go? all the way to the body mount?

I'm planning on plating with 3/16" on both the inside and out, but probably not the top or bottom unless somebody thinks it needs it.

I'm looking for advice from folks with knowledge of specific problems up in this area. I realize I could easily over build this, but I don't think its necessary.

Quick pic of the area I'm talking about:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
^ i agree with troy.

You might also want to PM Isaac (axleike) and chat with him about it, since he just plated the rear of his frame, he may have more helpful pointers for you.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If you want to come check out the new steering set up for planning its on my truck now and you can see it. If you want you can make a template off of it and make the plates run far enough back to fix your hole.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Doug, 3/16" will be okay. 1/4" would be fine too.

I recommend plating the ENTIRE section of frame over the arch area. It will ensure a very nice load spread and give you plenty of strength for your shock hoops and engine mounts.

I don't think plating the top and bottom is worth while. At that point, you might as well cut the whole front of the frame off and start with all new tubes and get a front end that can handle a lot more travel.

If you make some cut outs from poster or cardboard, I can see about having you up to cut them out with the plasma.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
From the cab body mount all the way to the front of the frame. Might have to redo the front body mounts.

Also plate the inside of the frame as much as possible

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I didn't plate mine but probably would have if my engine bay was clear & had a hole in the frame. Like slider scab plates, use a diamond shape on the ends to minimize vertical welds and stress on the frame. I honestly think you could get away with just plating the outsides of the frame with 3/16's, wide enough for your shock towers.

I'd also suggest plating the front of the frame after you get your front spring hanger set where you want it.

Nice beefy place to bolt an Addicted front bumper

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the tip... and yeah, plating the front (along with gusseting the front crossmemeber to frame ends) was planned.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
it may not be needed, but you have the engine out, i would plate the inside. I did on mine and the engine stayed in.

And yes angle the ends like a triangle

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Oooooo! I like that front thingy.

As for the interior stuff doug, i'd HIGHLY recommend doing that, since you have nothing in the engine bay. Perfect time to get it done.

Buy some steel, make some cardboard templates, bring me 10 bucks for consumables, and enjoy a day in the mountians with plasma!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts