TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These questions are for a 96' Ext. Cab, 2wd, 5-lug, w/ the V6 and manual tranny. I want to get ~3" of lift, so I can run 30" tires (this is mainly for looks, and the ocasional camping trip run). I've given myself a headache searching the web for the past several days trying to find 2wd/5-lug info. I almost regret buying my truck (would much rather have a 6-lug now that I know the 5-lug is almost the redheaded-stepchild of the bunch), but I will be keeping it and trying my best to make it look good and do what I need it to do. So, with that, any help in the following would be greatly appreciated!...

1) what bodylift kit (3") would be best (I thought cornfed had one, but all I see is coil-spacers from them now)? Also, do I need the bumper relocation brackets, or is the look still ok w/o them (pics?)?

2) If I do the body lift, is the diff. drop necessary/recommended for my truck? Any other mods necessary w/ a body lift running 30's (ie: pinch weld, etc*)

3) does anyone think coil-spacers would be a better bet than a body lift (ie: ride, and price differences worth it)? I won't be doing any wheeling, just driving around town with the occasional (rough) dirt road trip to do some camping. But, I would never get into 4x4 territory w/ a 2wd, so no worries about that.

4) I will also be buying new shocks. Which ones would you guys recommend for either of the above lifts? I'm looking at the Bilsteins, but I have also heard good things on the Tokico's. Again, nothing too stiff.

***I would like to keep a near-stock ride (a little stiffer is ok). I'm also not ruling out the fabtech 3.5" kit, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money, and I'm a little worried about ride quality (I hear the add a leaf is a harsh ride for the rear). However, any opinions on the fabtech lift would be great as well.

I hope I have listed all the specs of the truck that is needed for any opinions on this matter. Again, any help, info, or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thank You, and Best Regards,
Jason

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
unl67volvo said:
These questions are for a 96' Ext. Cab, 2wd, 5-lug, w/ the V6 and manual tranny. I want to get ~3" of lift, so I can run 30" tires (this is mainly for looks, and the ocasional camping trip run). I've given myself a headache searching the web for the past several days trying to find 2wd/5-lug info. I almost regret buying my truck (would much rather have a 6-lug now that I know the 5-lug is almost the redheaded-stepchild of the bunch), but I will be keeping it and trying my best to make it look good and do what I need it to do. So, with that, any help in the following would be greatly appreciated!...

1) what bodylift kit (3") would be best (I thought cornfed had one, but all I see is coil-spacers from them now)? Also, do I need the bumper relocation brackets, or is the look still ok w/o them (pics?)?

2) If I do the body lift, is the diff. drop necessary/recommended for my truck? Any other mods necessary w/ a body lift running 30's (ie: pinch weld, etc*)

3) does anyone think coil-spacers would be a better bet than a body lift (ie: ride, and price differences worth it)? I won't be doing any wheeling, just driving around town with the occasional (rough) dirt road trip to do some camping. But, I would never get into 4x4 territory w/ a 2wd, so no worries about that.

4) I will also be buying new shocks. Which ones would you guys recommend for either of the above lifts? I'm looking at the Bilsteins, but I have also heard good things on the Tokico's. Again, nothing too stiff.

***I would like to keep a near-stock ride (a little stiffer is ok). I'm also not ruling out the fabtech 3.5" kit, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money, and I'm a little worried about ride quality (I hear the add a leaf is a harsh ride for the rear). However, any opinions on the fabtech lift would be great as well.

I hope I have listed all the specs of the truck that is needed for any opinions on this matter. Again, any help, info, or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Jason
try Downey Offroad
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/FrontCoil.html

they make some pretty nice stuff for the mini short of LT. Cornfed spacers wont work on your truck and fabtech rides topped out (shitty ride)

Go bilstein.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
unl67volvo said:

Jason

Cornfed only does the spacer lift. For body lifts, go with Roger Brown or Performance accessories. I don't know if the mini would use the same lift as the prerunner/4x4, but I would not expect much of a difference there.

The only difference with a BL is ride height. Your center of gravity will be higher, so you may get more roll. With a spacer lift, your ride will get stiffer. I prefer the ride with coilovers over anything else.

For shocks, I would recommend Bilsteins. As for the rear lift, get a shackle. It won't be as harsh a ride as an AAL.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
Cornfed only does the spacer lift. For body lifts, go with Roger Brown or Performance accessories. I don't know if the mini would use the same lift as the prerunner/4x4, but I would not expect much of a difference there.

The only difference with a BL is ride height. Your center of gravity will be higher, so you may get more roll. With a spacer lift, your ride will get stiffer. I prefer the ride with coilovers over anything else.

For shocks, I would recommend Bilsteins. As for the rear lift, get a shackle. It won't be as harsh a ride as an AAL.
CF doesnt make spacers for a mini dood...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used to have a mini (5 lug) that I lifted with the 3" fabtech lift spindles in the front and AAL in the rear. The front worked fine and was easy to install but the rear was a little stiff. I'm almost sure I could have cleared 30" tires but I no longer have the truck. Check out customtacos.com there are several lifted minis on that board.

unl67volvo said:
I have no experience with bodylifts but check out Roger Brown if you are interested in this route. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

unl67volvo said:
You don't have a differential to drop. :D Whether or not you need the pinch weld will depend on your wheel offset, etc.

unl67volvo said:
Daystar is the only one who makes coil spacers for your truck. They run about $80 and are just polyurethane. Supposed to give 1.5" of lift. A guy on customtacos got a couple of inches+ by swapping in v6 coils and the daystar spacers onto his single cab 4 cyl mini, but you already have the heavier cab and engine so that doesn't help you much. :eek: I'm guessing you might get an inch or a little better with just the spacers.

unl67volvo said:
You obviously don't need longer shocks for a BL. You will have to look around to find longer shocks for the mini, especially the front.

unl67volvo said:
There's a dude who goes by "fabtaco" on here and over on customtacos who has that lift. He can give you feedback on it. I would say also look into the 3" spindle as another option, it was simple to install and didn't require longer shocks. Both the fabtech lifts require rims with less backspacing, which will make your wheels stick out past your fenders and look goofy. They tell you no more than 3.5" of backspacing which even with a 7" wide rim is a negative offset. You can run more bs with just the spindle even though they say you can't for some reason.

Look into a shackle lift for the rear or a spring over axle flip fab job for a factory ride in the rear.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I agree with Desert TRD. Downey has a decent setup, and I would use the rear shackle instead of an AAL. A lot of guys post on here have rear spring packs get goofy only a short while after they start to run them. I think it is because they are kinda hard on the trucks, but isn't that what a truck is for??

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
rojodiablo said:
A lot of guys post on here have rear spring packs get goofy only a short while after they start to run them.
Huh?? What exactly happens when a leaf pack gets "goofy"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off; Thank you all who responded! I learned a lot, and it has certainly helped me narrow it down to what I want to do. It would have taken weeks for me to find out all this info on my own, and I really appreciate everyone's comments and willingness to help me out.

I will be looking into the Roger Brown BL, and the Bilsteins as my ultimate choice. Also, do any of you recommend (since my truck has 100K mi's) to also buy a complete poly. bushing kit for my suspension? If so, where could I find one for my 5lug (see a lot of 6lug kits out there*), and any recomendations on which poly_____ (ie: urethane, ethylene, etc...) I should get, and also which brand?

Thanks again to everyone who responded, especially flatlandtacoma (which btw... I'm sorry for the stupid diff. drop ?... I've even owned a 4x4 before. I guess I just wasn't thinking, or maybe I was wishing mine WAS a 4x4 ;) ) for the links he provided. Happy Holiday's everyone,

Jason

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
For a urethane bushing set, try either Downey off road, or enrgysuspension.com. You will be headed in the right direction. They can tell you what you might need better than I. As to SYNOVUS, lots of folks post about the ride of single AAL being less than great, and some also warn of quick spring pack sag, and some failures. Some say they are the best thing since sliced bread. For sure, the ride will change. Wether better or worse is in the truck of the beholder. But personally, I'd use a leaf pack first, or a shackle before an AAL, to keep with the better ride characteristics. If a leaf rides bad, sags , or breaks prematurely, that, my friend, is "GOOFY"....

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can buy single bodylift pucks from 4wheelparts.com. I went that route and then bought all the nuts/bolts from the hardware store. I went with one inch only which didnt require anything else. I was also running the fabtech spindles, daystar spacers and bilsteins all around. Its the best setup sort of going long travel (which i finally done)
Im the guy from customtacos that is selling those daystar spacers in the classifieds section btw. I got a bunch of other stuff too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Chaosfabmini... How much total lift did you have after all was said and done? What bilsteins did you go w/ (you had to do the HD's right)? With all the work that needs to go into doing a 3" BL (ie: steering shaft extension, any brake or clutch line extensions, etc...), I'm now thinking of doing the Spindle lift w/ a Shackle in the rear (did you do a shackle in the rear?) I just want to run 30's, so can I stop at the Spindle and shackle lift, or will I have to also get a BL or the Spacers to run the 30's? Also, where do I find the best prices on all this stuff? Thanks, and jsyk...I'd buy your spacers from you, but I want to keep as stock a ride quality as possible. If I change my mind I'll defenitely let you know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
you still have those spacers for sale? What lift did you do in the rear of your 5-lug?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
unl67volvo
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing