TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the short bus to school, so could someone please help me understand exactly what axle wrap is and why I should be concerned about it. If my truck will be 95% road queen should I even be worried about axle wrap?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Google is your friend, this is a very common problem, not only related to Tacos.

In short, soft springs deform in repsonse to torque input. Puts added stress on springs, u-joints, etc... As long as you're not romping on the throttle, and don't wheel a lot, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
captain stabbin said:
I rode the short bus to school, so could someone please help me understand exactly what axle wrap is and why I should be concerned about it. If my truck will be 95% road queen should I even be worried about axle wrap?
THE " Capt. stabbin' ??? " My hero. Axle wrap is a twisting/rotating of the rear axle, and it releases quickly, often causing a hop in the rear end. Soft/ worn springs only make it worse. There have been several threads on here about it, search rear end hop, axle wrap.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

This applies: when you accelerate and your wheels turn forward, your axle wants to move in the opposite direction (which means it tries to rotate backwards). since the leaf springs are holding the axle in place, the opposite action of the axle bends them out of their normal "U" into an "S'" shape. (sorry for lack of illustration) this bending of the leaf springs causes "wheel hop". and yes it can effect you on the road just as much as off road. for instance on a hard launch from a red light.

next time you are at a red light behind a truck lifted or unlifted that is high enough to give you a view, a good view, of the rear axle and leaf springs, watch when they take off from the light, you will hopefully notice the axle turn backwards towards you and you may notice the springs and shackles movement. watch closely as if they have a decent set up the movement may be minimal. but you will definately notice after watching a few trucks, maybe even on the first truck.

also this is why coilover suspensioned rigs have the "links" or bars running from the frame to the axle. look on a jeep wrangler and you will see the traction arms. they have these to locate the axle and to prevent wheel hop or the opposite action of the axle since they dont have leaf springs. (best i could put it) ty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts