TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Um, how bout some more info? Year? Where? TRD/Nontrd? Miles?

No one can read your mind. You need to paint a picture so people actually give a damn and will help you out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001 trd 4X4 v6. if looking at rear end from the back of the truck in the center of the rear axle where it looks like a big circle its rusted and leaking from there. i will try to get pics tomorrow

·
Registered
508 Posts
how bad is it leaking? is it like a small leak running down, or is like dripping in the driveway? it could just be loose. surface rust is normal, but if its pitted and flake rust, than there is a problem.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Well, chances are its the third member leaking at the housing, and not a hole in the housing. You really need to identify where to oil is coming from. Spray carb cleaner all over the housing and get it nice and clean. Then drive it around and try to pinpoint where it is leaking. Then, we can make a recommendation on how to fix. Pics always help.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Come on man, you can't be serious. You want us to believe that you believe rust is causing your rear differential to leak.

Worst case scenario, you are that stupid and I have to tell you that you have a bad seal that needs replaced and that the surface rust that you are seeing is harmless. Sorry, but I have turkey poisoning and some wicked heartburn going on at the moment.

Post a pic and if I'm still alive I'll even tell ya which seal has shit to bed on ya.

·
Registered
508 Posts
the cap in the center could have just rusted through, and its leaking from there. use the carb cleaner like the previous poster said, and see if its coming from there, if not, than check the third member seals. and o btw, what part of NY are you in?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont have a camera. its rusty and dripping from the bottom. its coming from the back side, not the side the driveshaft goes in. theres no seal there right. and does that back piece come off, theres no bolts holding it on or anything

·
Registered
508 Posts
you should be able to fit a wrench on that, isnt that the drain or fill plug?

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
Like others have said get you some carb or brake cleaner and clean the diff real well and then see where exactly the oil is coming from.
But on the back side (bumper side) there is a fill plug and most cases this is where its leaking from or it could be the drain plug and the wind from driving is slinging it up on the back. But it hard for us to tell cause we ain't there and can't see it. If in fact it is rusted thru you do have some options but it is dependant on how bad the rust is and how far it has spread. But first you need to pin point the leak.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not coming from the fill plug or the drain plug. its dripping from the bottom back side of the cover not near the plugs. the circle piece where the fill plug is does that come off and be replaced or is that all one piece of the rearend?

·
Registered
508 Posts
some pictures would be a really pic help. tomorrow, just borrow a buddy's camera and see. or what part of NY are you in, you might be near me.

·
Registered
983 Posts
My money is on the pinion seal leaking and running down to the bottom of the pumpkin before it drips off. Borrow a camera and get us some pics, front and rear of the rearend.

These trucks will rust in half before the rearend corrodes enough to leak.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
If you can't tell that the back piece is a FULLY WELDED UNIT, your rear diff is obviously in a dire need of some cleaning so you can pinpoint the leak.

It really isn't that hard. If carb cleaner is too expensive, use gasoline or plain water...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will get pics tomorrow. for everyone trying to help me i thank you. do you think if i check the fluid constantly and top off i should be ok for a while? or worst case can the rear be taken out and the inside plated to stop the leak?

·
Registered
661 Posts
it all depends on how bad it is

1 - 20 of 52 Posts