TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
I will get pics tomorrow. for everyone trying to help me i thank you. do you think if i check the fluid constantly and top off i should be ok for a while? or worst case can the rear be taken out and the inside plated to stop the leak?
Don't think you can plate the inside because of clearance between the gears. Even if you do plate it you run the risk of it rusting faster and leaking worse or worse case scenerio is the diff breaking off and getting into the gears. But then it again it all depends on how bad the rust is or you have just developed a pin hole and it can be spot welded. There is no real way of telling until you get your diff cleaned up and futhermore you axle tore down to look at the inside. But like said before we are here and your axle is there.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Kind of hard to tell where it's comming from, but at any case, it's going to take some fab work to fix it (or a new housing)

You could do something like this. It would add some food in the beef department.

Any welding that has to be done on the axle must be throughly spotless in and out. The oil will get into the weld, crack it, and cause it to fail.

·
Registered
983 Posts
WTF, you been parking that truck in the bay? I haven't seen corrosion like that since I was in the South Pacific. Well, to be honest I'd trash it and get another rear end out of the salvage yard. This does bring up the question about the rest of the truck though, is the frame as bad as the rear end? If so I'd question the safety of even driving that thing around.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
WOW, that's some nasty looking rust. Like Luttrell mentioned, I wonder what the rest of the truck is like. Your year falls outside of Toyota's rust buy back window, but maybe you can be a martyr.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
WTF, you been parking that truck in the bay? I haven't seen corrosion like that since I was in the South Pacific. Well, to be honest I'd trash it and get another rear end out of the salvage yard. This does bring up the question about the rest of the truck though, is the frame as bad as the rear end? If so I'd question the safety of even driving that thing around.
x2 :eek:

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
Wow never seen a axle look like that. Atleast not on one on a still running truck. I am affraid with the amount of scaling you have that there wouldn't be much to weld to, so I am affraid that you need a new rear axle. I would really check my frame for rust cause you could have a serious candidate for a buy back truck on your hands.

·
Registered
370 Posts

A quick fix is to clean off the effected area with starter fluid and goop on some GOOP or SHOE GOOP or a similar product. It should hold for the winter.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
J B Weld haha replace your axle housing...only alternative, besides some custom fab work...if you cant weld then your stuck with needing a housing/axle tube

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
that is the only rusty part of the truck. it amazes me too. the rest of the trucks frame is clean. i thank everyone once again for all your input. The truck is going to my mechanic monday night to get the rear ripped apart and see if it can be saved and plated. If not, do any of you guys know a good place to find another housing or whatever its called. Are their companies that offer aftermarket ones? And my last resort is going to be the junkyard right?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
that is the only rusty part of the truck. it amazes me too. the rest of the trucks frame is clean. i thank everyone once again for all your input. The truck is going to my mechanic monday night to get the rear ripped apart and see if it can be saved and plated. If not, do any of you guys know a good place to find another housing or whatever its called. Are their companies that offer aftermarket ones? And my last resort is going to be the junkyard right?
oh boy, your just asking for someone to make something of that "get the rear ripped apart" comment. :D

they do make aftermarket ones. my first stop would be a junkyard though. it will be relatively cheap and will bolt right in unless you get a trd for a non-trd or vice versa. yes, it is called the housing.

although if you haven't been topping off the fluid i'd be worried about the gears too...

·
Registered
118 Posts
That looks like something out of a WW2 Battleship. Someone was doing a lot of backing into saltwater. It looks beyond repair to me, search junkyards it shouldn't be hard to find a good one.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
wonder what his gears look like? you might wanna change that diff fluid and see what it looks like also

·
Registered
317 Posts
maybe someone filled it with salt water instead of gear oil lol

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
thats more less what i thought

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
you'll probably catch a fish in there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
well it was a long run. 34 posts before the sarcasm kicked in. lol I guess i gotta laugh about my truck instead of letting it get to me and worrying about it. I gotta do what i gotta do.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts