TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the worlds biggest idiot and could now really use some help... I just got my 2007 Tacoma 4 days ago simply wanted to change the oil. I have now found out that I have actually been draining the transmission fluid thinking it was the engine oil. But here's where it gets weird.

I drained all the oil (thinking it was engine oil but really transmission oil). Then put in 5qts. of fresh oil. Checked the dipstick= 2 inches over full (which makes sense now). Than I thought I put too much in so bit by bit drained out more oil, checking the dipstick everytime but still getting the same reading until I finally drained all the oil again. (This is the weird part: each time, obviously, I was really draining the transmission fluid but had already previously drained the transmission fluid thinking it was engine oil the say before, and even let it drain for a good 20 minutes. But after putting in engine oil it seems I could drain the transmission oil all over again.. the whole time thinking the tranny oil was the engine oil. Yes it was brown, the same color as dirty oil.)

That is the 1st thing I'd like to understand: how did I re-drain my transmission fluid after already draining it for 20 minutes the day before.

2nd: I put another 5.5qts. of oil in today, accepting that I must have oil stuck in the tube where my dipstick goes and to just trust that I have the right amount in. So 5.5qts to begin with + 5qts yesterday + 5qts today.. I didn't think a tacoma could hold 15+ qts of engine oil? Could I have damaged anything by putting in that much? Also I started it and let it idle for a good 10 minutes and even revved it. Could I have damaged the engine by doing that?

Last question I promise: I don't really want to buy another $40 5qts of high milage synthetic oil now, can I just use regular cheap oil for the next few thousand miles or is that a bad idea and to just grab my ankles and fork out another $40 for the good stuff? 136k Miles on my taco. Just bought it 4 days ago. I guess this also explains why It wouldn't go into gear when I tried to drive it an hour ago..

Sincerely, an idiot beginner learning mechanic work who just wasted $80 of synthetic oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
omg you mite want to quit while your ahead tow your truck to a shop to have your
((((transmission flushed)))) not dorp and draind but complete FLUSH or you will wish you did
$80 dollars is f*ck all compared to a $ 4000 transmission
i feel so sorry for you right now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why are you guy's saying to tow it? All I have to do is put the correct transmission fluid and the correct amount back in right? I thought this forum was for doing-it-yourself and not caving to bring it to a dealership.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am the worlds biggest idiot and could now really use some help... I just got my 2007 Tacoma 4 days ago simply wanted to change the oil. I have now found out that I have actually been draining the transmission fluid thinking it was the engine oil. But here's where it gets weird.

I drained all the oil (thinking it was engine oil but really transmission oil). Then put in 5qts. of fresh oil. Checked the dipstick= 2 inches over full (which makes sense now). Than I thought I put too much in so bit by bit drained out more oil, checking the dipstick everytime but still getting the same reading until I finally drained all the oil again. (This is the weird part: each time, obviously, I was really draining the transmission fluid but had already previously drained the transmission fluid thinking it was engine oil the say before, and even let it drain for a good 20 minutes. But after putting in engine oil it seems I could drain the transmission oil all over again.. the whole time thinking the tranny oil was the engine oil. Yes it was brown, the same color as dirty oil.)

That is the 1st thing I'd like to understand: how did I re-drain my transmission fluid after already draining it for 20 minutes the day before.

2nd: I put another 5.5qts. of oil in today, accepting that I must have oil stuck in the tube where my dipstick goes and to just trust that I have the right amount in. So 5.5qts to begin with + 5qts yesterday + 5qts today.. I didn't think a tacoma could hold 15+ qts of engine oil? Could I have damaged anything by putting in that much? Also I started it and let it idle for a good 10 minutes and even revved it. Could I have damaged the engine by doing that?

Last question I promise: I don't really want to buy another $40 5qts of high milage synthetic oil now, can I just use regular cheap oil for the next few thousand miles or is that a bad idea and to just grab my ankles and fork out another $40 for the good stuff? 136k Miles on my taco. Just bought it 4 days ago. I guess this also explains why It wouldn't go into gear when I tried to drive it an hour ago..

Sincerely, an idiot beginner learning mechanic work who just wasted $80 of synthetic oil.

Did this get fixed!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts