TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
actually replacing a broken one. i got a used one from a forum member. got new seals for it from toyota and just put it intoday finally. that sucker is dam heavy for 1 person to put in by himself. took me forever and a day to get that dam thing in. anyhow, i finally got it in and filled it up with some mobile 1 75-90. well i want to know if everything is ok now. its an ADD diff but i have manual hubs up front. ok, so now after i finished and put the tires back on and everything else is double checked to ensure that i din't miss a bolt or forget to torque something down. :saw:

i jack up hte rear and the front. putthe truck in 4wd. the driver front and rear passenger spins up. the front passenger doesn't spin nor does the rear driver for some reason. i ensured that it is in 4wd and then put it in 4wd lo and ensured that the front hubs were locked. same thing. is this normal? i've never tested it like this before so i dont know how it supposed to be doing. i thought 4wd meant 4wheels driving at the same time. as of now its just the passenger rear and front dirver side. i need to know if this is normal or not since im a bit confused. thanks for any insight. and yes, i have a trd rear elocker and no front locker just the stock 4.10 trd gears for front and rear. again any help would be great...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok after doing some more searching on the site it sounds like i might have a bad actuator if the passenger front isn't getting power... could someone verify this for me since im really not in the mood to take it all out again to swap the actuator... could it be that hoses got installed backwards and won't work correctly?>>> again any suggestions would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This could be normal chief. Without a front locker or the back locked you really only have two driving wheels. the ones with the least resistance.

Try putting a little resistance on the front tire thats moving and see if the other one starts to move. Be carefull doing it, I would touch the slowly rolling tire with my shoe on the sidewall or use a 2x4 to rub the side.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i tried that earlier but with my hands... big mistake - i'll have to try it again tomorrow. how would i know of the actuator is working or not? i've got the green 4wd light turning on in hte dash so that should mean it is engaged right?

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
maxdout said:
how would i know of the actuator is working or not?
You could remove the actuator from the diff to bench test it-
IIRC - Just need a 12V + souce / neg attached to pins 2 & 6 on the actuator -
reverse to disengage.

Is there a reason you wanted to introduce the ADD actuator into the setup-
You mentioned that you have manual hubs up front -

Just remove the intermediate shaft/actuator from the ADD diff and re-use the manual hub diff intermediate shaft

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
maxdout said:
how would i know of the actuator is working or not?
Put it in 4WD then lift up just the front end with the engine off. Turn 1 wheel by hand. If the actuator is engaged, the other wheel will turn an equal amount in the opposite direction. If it isn't, it won't.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i checked it out like not2xs said. when i put it into 4wd, it does lock the front. when i turn the driver side wheel, the passenger spins in the opposite directoin (should this be right?) or should they both be spinning in the same direction? If it is correct that the wheels spin in the opposite direction, then i am good to go. and i pulled the vacuum hose from the actuator and 4wd did go off. (not lock the front nor did the4wd light come on)

as for me using theADD diff, it was what was in there in the beginning. i thought if i kept it the same it would be easier and i wasn't sure if the cvs i have right now would fit the manual diff.

questoin how ever, if i had a manual diff, i wouldn't have to mess with the vacuum hoses and what not? just have to put it into 4wd and lock the front hubs? if so, dang do i regret getting the add diff again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds Fine. Not sure that little test acually checked the actuator though. I would recommend just starting real slow in 2wd. Then real slow in 4wd from a stop. If you're careful you'll feel something start to bind before it breaks.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Sounds to me like you're all good to go, and that everything is working exactly as it should.

All 4 wheels will only spin (pull) in the same direction if you have front and rear lockers. I'f you've got the TRD e-locker in the rear, then you'll trully only have 3WD.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
White Taco said:
If you're careful you'll feel something start to bind before it breaks.

whats the problem if it does this? i think mine is doing this... but it will do it constantly while im in 4wd...yet i dont have 4wd...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, it works great. i went to the local ohv park and tested it out. mudded around and it works great. i was scared at first since id be screweed if it didn't work but works like a champ. Only other thing... now when i hit the breaks, there is all kind of grinding going on, i think that somethings stuck in the brake pads or something. have to take it apart to check again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
maxdout
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing