TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to finish out my parents basement.

I didn't know if any of you guys specialized as a profession in these categories or if anyone knew of someone who does good job for a fair price.

I appreciate any input. We may be out at the end of July to early Aug so maybe we can break away from slave labor and get a chance to hit the trails with you guys :D

Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not in Cali. :D

Post up your questions, I know a little about electrical. I do commercial HVAC controls for a living so I've picked up some stuff here and there.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Angry Andy is a union electrician as I recall. Did you try him? My Dad also has a masters license in electrical, and since I live with them, I could relay some questions?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
eh i dont claim to be an expert.... but i did stay at a holiday inn last night lol

lemme know if you want help/advice??

·
7,735 Posts
Angry Andy is a union electrician as I recall. Did you try him? My Dad also has a masters license in electrical, and since I live with them, I could relay some questions?
:lmao::lmao::lmao: Yeah Nic, let us know if you need in introduction to the Angry one.

Nichole.. if you get a chance to wheel, let us know! Think you flaked out last time, happens a second time and we might start taking it personal :flipoff4: Is Mike coming out?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not in Cali. :D

Post up your questions, I know a little about electrical. I do commercial HVAC controls for a living so I've picked up some stuff here and there.
haha... should of specified. My folks are out in Castle Rock. If they were in this area I'd have no issues finding people. :)

Didn't think about HVAC... will have to see the nitty gritty of what they want once we get to the specifics on the basement

Sounds like one angry mother fuckin' asshole if you ask me... don't know if I'd want to ask him for anything

My husband knows how to wire and plumb... we are mainly concerned with any of the oh shit luck of the draw stuff where we aren't down the street to fix it. More so with the plumbing than electrical. Three states apart kind of sucks for an emergency repair :(

eh i dont claim to be an expert.... but i did stay at a holiday inn last night lol

lemme know if you want help/advice??
Yeah, Mike knows how to run a lot of this stuff... just concerned with the what ifs since we lives three states away. Buuuuuutttt... if you're bored you could come by drink some beer and hammer a nail or two in ;p

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Yeah Nic, let us know if you need in introduction to the Angry one.

Nichole.. if you get a chance to wheel, let us know! Think you flaked out last time, happens a second time and we might start taking it personal :flipoff4: Is Mike coming out?
I wouldn't say flaked sooo much. I really wanted to come out for the TO... have to hit it up next year. Last time we, or should I say I, wheeled out there was when Molly, you and I hit up that trail out in the springs.

Yeah Mike is coming... otherwise the basement would end up looking like Kayla threw up some dry wall lol

When and if this gets confirmed I will definitely let you know what the dates are. Had such an awesome time last time... would like to make a small, chill run again with a few people ;)

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Dammit we keep missing each other nic! Oh well, still shooting for mid august, NorCal.....

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
whenever.... let me know when you guys want help....seriously even if its only for moral support and to drink beer lol

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If you don't have anyone I know a guy for both. Hvac guy is always busy but the 2 sparkys I know love side jobs

·
7,735 Posts
I know Ike does renovating and repair for a property manager. I don't know what his specialties are. I think he's more of an all around mr fix it guy, but I know he does some plumbing from time to time. Ike, post up and see if he can help.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dammit we keep missing each other nic! Oh well, still shooting for mid august, NorCal.....
You should meet me up in Colorado beginning of Aug and then drive out to NorCal with us. Get an open jaw ticket flying into DIA and then out of OAK. Just a suggestion ;):p

whenever.... let me know when you guys want help....seriously even if its only for moral support and to drink beer lol
Well you are more than welcome to spend as much time down south as you'd like. Any help, even moral support is going to be appreciated! Two weeks to mostly finish out a basement is definitely going to be... exciting? lol

If you don't have anyone I know a guy for both. Hvac guy is always busy but the 2 sparkys I know love side jobs
Ok sweet. Mike used to work construction before he got into the alarm business, so he knows a bit, plus our old roommate, Angry, is an electrician by trade. He is basically going to wire everything and wants someone to inspect it, hook it into the box and let it go live. I'll let you know as it gets closer.

I know Ike does renovating and repair for a property manager. I don't know what his specialties are. I think he's more of an all around mr fix it guy, but I know he does some plumbing from time to time. Ike, post up and see if he can help.
The plumbing thing is the big thing. So if anyone has a hook up or a recommendation. I know our sport has a lot of DIY guys, so hiring someone sometimes comes far and few between.

Doug... looks like we're going to be in town from July 26th though Aug 9. We should definitely hit up a trail... wheeler lake? That and if you want to come drink our beer, eat our food and give us moral support any of those days you're more than welcome!! :xbeer3: :D

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
ive got no problem helping with the plumbing.... ive replumbed a few houses over the years. and beer is always cheap lol

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well I am no expert and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but experience has taught me two things that I can share about basements:

1. If the house is older and the basement floor pipes are not PVC for the sewer, jackhammer it up now and replace with PVC. Saves in the long run.
  • Install backflow drain shutoff's. Your main floor drains for the basement should have a nice backflow preventer in them that keeps sewage from coming back up into the house entirely should the plumbing back up outside the house. Just some piece of mind.
:2cents:

·
20,355 Posts
I likely won't have time for any side jobs this summer, but I will ask a few people.

Nic shawn will be in town that week in aug. We are hitting up holy cross on the 5th.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Your pulling a permit right?

If not you will screw your parents when they go to sell the home. The finished space without a permit will be considered un- finished.

Your parents can pull a home owners permit, much cheaper than a contractor pulling it.

I finished the space in my old house without a permit and it fucked me when i went to sell it. Had to pay over twice as much to get a compliance permit....

I knew better too.... My dad owns his own remodeling company... I have been doing it nearly my entire life... but i was cutting corner to save a litttle $ ... :(

I have friends in both fields.

What exactly are you doing? Is the Bathroom already roughed in? is there space in the breaker to add additional electircal, or do you need to run a sub panel.

If the plumbing is roughed in and the panel has room, the home builder should have placed a home run to use for the electrical. If both those are the case a home owners permit will work just fine and it can all be done by the "home owner"

I will be happy to help if need be.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ive got no problem helping with the plumbing.... ive replumbed a few houses over the years. and beer is always cheap lol
I will give you a ring when we get into town... would be nice to throw a few cold ones back with you anyhow :)

I likely won't have time for any side jobs this summer, but I will ask a few people.

Nic shawn will be in town that week in aug. We are hitting up holy cross on the 5th.
We're really looking to pay a company to do this for the liability. I knew I wasn't specific enough when I started this. I just figured I'd throw it out here and see what I got in return. Thanks though

Dude, HC... I will recheck as the time gets closer to make sure, but that sounds awesome!! Shawn as in jeep guy? Haven't seen him in eons.

Your pulling a permit right?

If not you will screw your parents when they go to sell the home. The finished space without a permit will be considered un- finished.

Your parents can pull a home owners permit, much cheaper than a contractor pulling it.

I finished the space in my old house without a permit and it fucked me when i went to sell it. Had to pay over twice as much to get a compliance permit....

I knew better too.... My dad owns his own remodeling company... I have been doing it nearly my entire life... but i was cutting corner to save a litttle $ ... :(

I have friends in both fields.

What exactly are you doing? Is the Bathroom already roughed in? is there space in the breaker to add additional electircal, or do you need to run a sub panel.

If the plumbing is roughed in and the panel has room, the home builder should have placed a home run to use for the electrical. If both those are the case a home owners permit will work just fine and it can all be done by the "home owner"

I will be happy to help if need be.
Well technically my parents don't care. This will be the last house they live in, unless they buy and additional house in our area out here. So ultimately we're screwing ourselves when and if we sell the house down the road.

Although I'd like to know more about this home owners permit. We do have floor plans. I'm going to send you a PM. Might as well at least see what its all about. Don't know if we're going to be able to pull one with the time we have.

Also if you do plumbing... and your company has some time, we'd be more than willing to pay someone like you than some random stranger.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I seem to remember that Athena and her hubby do plumbing and electrical and have their own company. Might be worth a PM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts