TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
navyseals101 said:
Im just not getting the concept of raising your center of gravity without getting better ground clearance
A lift lets you fit bigger tires which do improve your ground clearance.

Later,
....Mike

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
You don't get better ground clearance? Tell me how you don't...

Note that you can run bigger tires, which provides more ground clearance. Then when you lift the truck, if you do a coilover lift, your diff is now higher off the ground, your frame and cab are off the ground more, and you now have better approach, breakover and departure angles. If I didn't have the 3" f lift I did on my truck, I would have slammed my sliders many times. They almost came in handy at least a dozen times...

Sure, you raise center of gravity, but with wider tires and less offset to set out the tires more, the truck can be more stable. Besides, am I driving a sports car?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
stu said:
Sounds like you need to pick a new hobby.
Teach him how to drive his truck and then he can learn how to do bodywork :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
navyseals101 said:
Im just not getting the concept of raising your center of gravity without getting better ground clearance
Taller tires and wider track... Compensate... But not for yer lack of intelligence... Yer 150 IQ seems to be down a notch... again

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I know larger tires will improve differential clearance, why do you think i was asking you that?

Im not understanding why one would invest in a lift if fenders can be purchased to allow better clearance of tires...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I think the original post makes a good point. Post #3 on this thread at tundrasolutions does a pretty good job explaining some of the issues on center of gravity and suspension functionality:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-roading/15623-tundra-offroad-mods-and-tech/

Plus, I think Donahoe (don't know if it was Bill [father] or Kreg [son]) coined the phrase "Never Lift", supposedly after surviving a wicked endover crash in a lifted truck if I heard the story correctly. I think the purpose of the phrase was to be smart about lifting and not to overdo it for fear of raising the center of gravity too high.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
navyseals101 said:
Im not understanding why one would invest in a lift if fenders can be purchased to allow better clearance of tires...
Now yer making sense...

But some folk want to stay relatively stock... at least in appearence...(maybe trying to maintain decent re-sale value ?)... And those Fiberglass fenders are not cheap by any means... (plus everyone drives around with them unpainted forever and it looks like shiat... :( )... And I personally don't like them cause you loose the inner fender liner to fit them... But they do look cool :p

The deal is to not lift anymore then is needed for the tire you want to use... And to do a lot of inner fender work to make the bigger tires fit without rubbing...

Super lifts are for mall runners who's little dicks need an ego stroke... And don't have the skills to mod their trucks properly... They usually pay someone to work on their trucks... And their goal is to simply look big and bad ass... Though they are far from anything but being status quo dweebs...

33's are the biggest you should ever go on a Tacoma unless yer SAS'd... Some do 35's but that requires a body lift usually and fender work... And that is too much stress on the weak ass front end components... Especially the Rack (which they may have to replace much more then normal)

That said... I'm doing 33's on a 3 1/2" lift and some inner fender mods... That's just a hold over until I can afford to SAS my junk...

You really do need to search and do some reading here... all this info is already here if you just take the time to look and read... But you instead you choose to post these questions that make you appear either lazy or a dumbass... What's with that ?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
there is no point to a lift if you dont off road.
if you off road there is no point to this question

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I knew bigger tires will give you better clearance,

I did not know the only reason people get lifts is to allow bigger tires, I thought a lift possibly had some other beneficial purpose...

·
225 Posts
equin said:
I think the original post makes a good point. Post #3 on this thread at tundrasolutions does a pretty good job explaining some of the issues on center of gravity and suspension functionality:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-roading/15623-tundra-offroad-mods-and-tech/

Plus, I think Donahoe (don't know if it was Bill [father] or Kreg [son]) coined the phrase "Never Lift", supposedly after surviving a wicked endover crash in a lifted truck if I heard the story correctly. I think the purpose of the phrase was to be smart about lifting and not to overdo it for fear of raising the center of gravity too high.

No you herd that wrong... I coined the phrase "NEVER LIFT" After I crashed our Trophy truck at Laughlin because I lifted off the GAS.... The truck wasnt lifted...

On this subject I dont feel a lifted Tacoma will EVER out perform a non lifted truck. But Ground clearance and wheel travel are the keys to a good off-road truck. The reson why Donahoe Racing dosnt make a 6" system for Tacomas is we feel our little 2" coil-overs will ALWAYS out perform a drop style bigger lift kit. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts