TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this will alow me a little more room to work on things and be a bit less of an eyesore to the neighbors :) 14'x30' addition with man door and 9'x7' garage door. Once sealed up, the blue doors will come out along with two vertical rows of block so that I can get a vehicle in the block building.

This is what they got done today.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah I have been without a garage that I can pull a vehicle into for a little over 2 years now and working on the rocks gets old with snow and rain. When I laid it all out before construction I though it was going to be a bit small, but now that it is framed up, there is quite a bit of room.

·
Registered
276 Posts
nice! Are you framing up a new overhead door? and are you planning on heating/insulating? and are you going to rewire for 240v? And do you have plans to add a vent fan for circulation?

C'mon give up some details....

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Detals are just get the thing up at this point :) , but if you want all that stuff here you go. The large opening on the end is for a 9'x7' overhead with a 36" man door to the left. The blue doors will come out along with some of the block, as the lintel goes all the way across, to allow me to pull a vehicle or two into the inteior of the block building. The rest of the block building with be sided with sheet metal similar to what is going on the lean-to. New windows will also go in the block building at the same time.

I currently have a 100 amp service to the building and will be redoing all of the wiring with at least 1 220 outlet for a larger welder down the road. 110 outlets willl be throughout the building with several dedicated circuits for my welder, plasma, and compressor. Interior lighting with be with approximately 10-12 twin bulb 4' flourescent light fixtures throughout.

The lean-to will be insulated with minimum R19 in roof and walls. When I side the block building, I will add 1.5" ridgid foam board between the firring strips. Heating at this point will not be done, but in the future, may add a wood stove, but not really worried about it since I just put coveralls on and suck it up. I also have an older Kerosun heater that I could install with an outside tank that my uncle used to use in his pole barn.

No plans for a vent fan at this point as I can just open the windows or a door. Never seen a need to vent it as I don't do heavy fab work or painting where large amounts of particulate and smoke are created. I can always add a fan later on down the road if it becomes an issue.

Any questions or comments/suggestions, let me know :)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah is my truck going to fit in there if I have to bring it up again? :lmao:
As long as you can fit through a 7' high door opening, you'll fit :)

Once the ramp up to the door is done, I may be able to fit my 4Runner in while strapped to the trailer.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 2 - Roof is about 98% complete, just a little more tin to go and the windows are in on the front wall. They should be able to insulate the walls, install the tin and both doors today. Gutters and downspouts will be going on both buildings in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am very envious of your upcoming pole barn and the deal you got on it :)

Even this little addition seems so large with plenty of room. I have a feeling it will shrink quite a bit once I put our 2 FJ40's and my 4 Runner in it.

Hoping in the next few years I can get these guys back in and build me a 28'x32' two story garage with 10' walls and loft area.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the updates from Day 3. Looks like they may be able to finish tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like they move pretty fast. Then again being as cold as it is, I guess that's motivation enough to work quickly!
Yeah they are pretty quick, it is a crew of three guys. Dana called around 1 pm and said that they were done and cleaning up.

Once it warms up, the siding will most likely be painted grey. I ended up using the red siding since it was a restock item that I picked up at Home Depot for stupid cheap. if I can find some more siding I will do the rest of the building before paint so it all matches.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And it is done in 4 Days.

Next up is concrete and re-wire the entire building. New lights everywhere, outlets every 12 feet or so, at least one 220 outlet centrally located for a future welder. When the concrete is pored, I may put some footers in to put a lift in at a later date.

And the kids with their Toyota

·
PA VP
987 Posts
And it is done in 4 Days.

Next up is concrete and re-wire the entire building. New lights everywhere, outlets every 12 feet or so, at least one 220 outlet centrally located for a future welder. When the concrete is pored, I may put some footers in to put a lift in at a later date.

And the kids with their Toyota
very nice JT i bet you can't wait for concrete then the jacks and engine hoist will roll much nicer :rolleyes: kids look cute in their cruiser..i wish they mode one of those that wasnt pink

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Mark, yeah hoping to get to concrete soon. Like you said, it will be nice for rolling stuff around on instead of on plywood the last time you were up.

As for the FJ, that is mainly Addy's, but we have a feeling Colin will be wanting one soon, so we may get another and I will paint it if I can't find one that isn't pink :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
As for the FJ, that is mainly Addy's, but we have a feeling Colin will be wanting one soon, so we may get another and I will paint it if I can't find one that isn't pink :)
They had one in Black with flames, but I think they discontinued it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, For those of you interested, there is a bulletin board (forum) dedicated directly to barns at www.BarnsBB.com :)

One cool thing is that they have a moderator that is a Professional Engineer that peeks in from time to time and answers questions about designs and construction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts