TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the title sums it up. I have been applying with several departments. as for stages each department has its own pattern. I am at stage one with Hollywood and that is an oral board tomorrow morning at 9 am. I am at stage 2 with Miramar. I have a polygraph exam on Thursday afternoon. Anyone have any input. I also have pending applications with Davie, Sunrise, Ft lauderdale, and BSO. I will say my suit wardrobe is getting bigger and pricier... :eek:

James

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Wow...story of my sisters life right here, she just got hired at Garden Grove. Best advice is BE PATIENT. It takes longer than you think it took her about a year or so to get her name out there then get looked at and hired. Once you pass the oral and polygraph stages, they'll interview you family/friends then you get a conditional job offer which means if you pass a physical (standard one) you're hired. Also she got hired as a crime analyst she's not a sworn officer I don't know if that helps...probably a similar process.

·
Registered
947 Posts
elliot_irwin said:
what do they ask during the polygraph?
lol, I was about to ask the same thing. Do they ask if you have ever stole something? I would have to say yes due to stealing a snickers once when I was around 8 or so. Would that screw me out of a job? I have always wondered this..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The key to the polygraph is to relax. As long as you havent used some hardcore shit you should be fine. Things like smoking marijuana are not disqualifiers. What they want to see is if you have done it recently. They want to see that you did some bad stuff when you were younger and that you've grown up and havent messed around anymore. They want life experience, not choir boys.

As far as time. It takes a while. Out here in CA it is very quick becuase out here, depending on who you apply with, its a couple month process because of all the hiring going on.

Just have a plan for your interview. They will ask you lots of 'what if' questions. Also, are you willing to take someone's life if you have to? Thats a big one they will ask you. Good luck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for drug use it depends on what how much and when the last time was if its been more then 5 years and dope at the most I have been told don't stress. the others you might want it to be a few years longer. and the process out here you actually have to do the written and physical testing prior to being allowed to apply. since there are so many different departments here they find it helps weed out the unneccessary. and that is done on your own dime. So far I have probably about a thousand dollars invested in just applying. that includes a few additions to wardrobe, documents testing etc.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
jhunter said:
lol, I was about to ask the same thing. Do they ask if you have ever stole something? I would have to say yes due to stealing a snickers once when I was around 8 or so. Would that screw me out of a job? I have always wondered this..
Everyone does stupid dumb shit like stealing when they are younger. Its all about how you've acted lately and if you continued to steal or use drugs instead of growing up.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
Local Departments here allows no more than 20 instances of weed, and anything more hardcore than that is a disqualifier.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
obex26 said:
I think the title sums it up. I have been applying with several departments. as for stages each department has its own pattern. I am at stage one with Hollywood and that is an oral board tomorrow morning at 9 am. I am at stage 2 with Miramar. I have a polygraph exam on Thursday afternoon. Anyone have any input. I also have pending applications with Davie, Sunrise, Ft lauderdale, and BSO. I will say my suit wardrobe is getting bigger and pricier... :eek:

James
Yea, don't lie on the polygraph. They don't care if you've done all the things they ask, as long as you tell the truth. They ask shit like have you ever had sex with a minor, with an animal. How many times have you done ___ and ___, how long ago... Good luck man, breathe deep and answer truthfully.

·
Registered
391 Posts
the process is very annoying here in Ny. They ask you to do very odd things, such as filling out a packet of forms using ONLY a type writer. I didnt even know where to find a type writer no less how to use one. Be prepared to take peoples bullshit and have a thick skin. I chose not to follow this advice and thats why I lasted 4 days.

As for the drugs as long as you have been clean for at least 2 years you should be fine. they only test for the major drugs due to cost.

if you are going to lie on the polygraph it helps if you train yourself into believing your own bullshit. other than that it will pick up the majority.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
Have you ever had a polygraph before?

Have fun with the polygrapher, it brings some excitement to their lives. They especially love it when you hug them back as they go to wrap the chest cord around you.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
a friend of mine jsut got hired as a dispatcher... she said the psych test was somehting like 800 questions and took a few days

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i kinda got in some trouble...and tripped on my dick here in FL. I am on the diversion program now, so my charges will get whipped off when i complete the diversion program. I was told the only time anyone will see this ever happened in my life (since i'm a minor) were the police if i applied to be a police officer or the army/marines and that kinda thing.

If they wanna do a long term drug test, they will take hair. If they wanna do recent they will prolly do a 5 pannel piss test. Oh, and if they do the piss test, be prepared to drop your pants, turn around, and bend over so the inspector can see your not hiding anything :rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I applied here in Anchorage 2 1/2 years ago they asked me if I ever spoke with anyone about the questions on the polygraph test. Just to let ya know.

Dave

1 - 20 of 36 Posts