TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a project. Has anyone ever replaced the bushings on their front end with poly bushings? Did it improve the handeling any?

Chris

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
CMB1998 said:
I was looking for a project. Has anyone ever replaced the bushings on their front end with poly bushings? Did it improve the handeling any? Chris
Swaybar bushings or steering rack bushings? I'm looking at doing the steering rack bushings soon. I've heard they do a good job of making the steering more responsive, taking out a lot of the slop/slack from the stock feel.

Peter Parks has write-ups on on the installation of both bushing kits:

Steering rack

Sway bar

·
Registered
68 Posts
i just changed my sway bar bushings and endlinks with ES ones and i agree with taco23 that it made a big difference over my worn out rubber ones. Definitely worth the 15 bucks and hour or less install.

·
Registered
925 Posts
CMB1998 said:
I was looking for a project. Has anyone ever replaced the bushings on their front end with poly bushings? Did it improve the handeling any?

Chris
dont change the stock a-arm bushings.....they will squeek like hell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't done poly bushings on a truck, but I poly bushings all around on my mustang. I cannot comment how much of a change just the bushings made but it does handle now! As has been mentioned though, it also squeaks like a mother depending on the road profile.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,586 Posts
CMB1998 said:

Chris
Control arm bushings? Yeah, I've got em on my truck. The UCA bushings are crap and I've already fried one set. The lowers are cool and help if your alignment specs are outta wack. But they squeak like a bitch.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
synovus said:
Swaybar bushings or steering rack bushings? I'm looking at doing the steering rack bushings soon. I've heard they do a good job of making the steering more responsive, taking out a lot of the slop/slack from the stock feel.

Peter Parks has write-ups on on the installation of both bushing kits:

Steering rack

Sway bar
They do tighten the drive feel up quite a bit... But they also amplify other issues that might be associated with the steering components... ie... worn T-rod's, Ball Joints, wheel bearings and W balance... etc... ( Bad inner rack end bushings in my case :( ) I like them though and I'd do it again. I just had to work out a few bugs and all was well. Do the Sway B bushings as well and you'll really notice a difference in crisper steering response... My :2cents:

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
cbrRRman said:
They do tighten the drive feel up quite a bit... But they also amplify other issues that might be associated with the steering components... ie... worn T-rod's, Ball Joints, wheel bearings and W balance... etc...
If something... helps make me... aware of worn... out parts,,, I don'''t see... that as a bad... thing. In... fact,,, I think... that'''s a... very... good thing...

cbrRRman said:
Do the Sway B bushings as well and you'll really notice a difference in crisper steering response...
Swaybar??? What... swaybar??? :saw: :saw: :saw: :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
synovus said:
If something... helps make me... aware of worn... out parts,,, I don'''t see... that as a bad... thing. In... fact,,, I think... that'''s a... very... good thing...

Swaybar??? What... swaybar??? :saw: :saw: :saw: :D :D :D
I agree with that statement. It is always better to know what is going wrong with the truck than just doing what a lot of people do which is turn on the stereo louder to hide noises!!

Seriously, def, change the rack bushings. It isnt hard to do at all and will definitely tighten up the steering. One thing that was differetn on my truck than on Peters writeup was with the drivers side bushing. The large washer was seized to the bushing sleeve. i had to just pound it out from the back of the rack to the front. no big deal at all though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I as well am looking to replace my sway bar bushings with poly's. According to the link posted above to Parks Offroad - seems the kit doesn't include anything for the endlinks. What, if anything, are people upgrading to on the endlinks? Specifics would be appreciated!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Toyotajoe said:
I as well am looking to replace my sway bar bushings with poly's. According to the link posted above to Parks Offroad - seems the kit doesn't include anything for the endlinks. What, if anything, are people upgrading to on the endlinks? Specifics would be appreciated!
Wheelersoffroad.com sells them as a set with the swaybar bushings.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tundraswaykit.htm

·
Registered
182 Posts
CMB1998 said:

Chris

I replaced the rack bushings a couple years ago and the difference was night and day. they are around 15-20 bucks and well worth it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
808_tac said:
i just changed my sway bar bushings and endlinks with ES ones and i agree with taco23 that it made a big difference over my worn out rubber ones. Definitely worth the 15 bucks and hour or less install.
Do you have a bushing size, or part number for the end links?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Who has the part number and where to get these kits, I know I've seen on here you can get them from Suspension.com.. any ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Energy Suspension Poly bushings

Swapped out the stock rubber sway bar bushings on my Taco today with some Energy Suspension Polys and what a difference! You can really feel it! I ordered mine from www.Suspension.com for $13.00 plus s/h. That was late Thursday and the FedEx truck pulled up this morning as I was pulling the truck into the garage! How's that for timing! Anyhow it was some of the best few dollars I have spent on my truck and would suggest them to anyone.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
TaquitoLoco said:
Swapped out the stock rubber sway bar bushings on my Taco today with some Energy Suspension Polys and what a difference! You can really feel it! I ordered mine from www.Suspension.com for $13.00 plus s/h. That was late Thursday and the FedEx truck pulled up this morning as I was pulling the truck into the garage! How's that for timing! Anyhow it was some of the best few dollars I have spent on my truck and would suggest them to anyone.
Works great for the street... But has it's drawbacks when wheelin'... Unless you get QD links for the sway bar...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts