TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

It's been a while since I've posted here but I need your help. I have a 97 V6 4x4 5 speed. I'm getting pretty poor gas mileage. I used to be able to travel at least 310 - 340 miles per tank if I pushed it. I'm down to about 260. That works out to about 17 miles per gallon. Plugs are new air filter is a clean K&N. My exhaust pipe is clean. I have 123,000 miles on the clock and not a single problem. Some knowledgable people I've spoken with have suggested O2 sensor, Mass air flow sensor or even a vacuum leak. What is there to tune up on a Taco? I haven't notice a signifigant loss in power however I want to believe it had more back 30,000 miles ago. Something is up and I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, they're not giving gas away here in San Diego. Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Coop - sometimes not much you can do - try the O2 sensor - if there is one thing other than the plugs that CAN really help things it is the 02 sensor where, if its bad, you can lose a couple of MPGs - just replace the front one first and see if it helps - the rear seldom gets too dirty -

oh- and dont use an aftermarket O2.
heres some OEM for about 50 dollars off what you would pay at the dealer:
http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=6000&Category_Code=

·
Registered
196 Posts
i have a 95 tacoma aswell and the same thing has been happening to me, my truck runs perfect. so you think its the o2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Not too knowledgable in the mechanics, my tacoma is my first truck.. but since you've got the 5-speed, until you figure out if theres anything else you can do to help the mileage, drive it top gear. Granted I have the smaller engine (2.7 L), but I get around 380 out of a tank consistantly. (Thats obviously assuming I try to get the mileage out of it... rev it often and balence the clutch instead of gettin on the brakes at lights and the mileage is down around 290, 300).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts