TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not the first time this trick is done, but i really like the results!

thanks to rob i finally got my poor man's recovery points in the front of my truck. they look a lot better than i thought, and i hope they'll to the trick 'til i can afford a full-bube bumper in the future.

Had to bend the front corners of the factory skid plate with pliers in order to make them fit. Just the fact that i was able to bend it with pliers tells me how weak it is:D Other than that, it was a straight fit.

Anyways, a few pics:

Had to keep the factory tow hook in order to use the factory bolts 'cause they were too long for the mounts.

Somebody should fabricate a bunch of these and sell 'em in the board. I bet people without custom tube bumpers will buy 'em quick.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
These are sold/made by sonoran steel - a bit pricy if you ask me-

IMHO a single, one peice version is simpler in design, and may offer better protection and durability- Basically fab up a cross member to tie together the 4 mounting bolts- at the same time it would protect the radiator-

I bought the steel a few years back- but never had the time to cut & make them.

Regardless- its still a good decsion to add the beefed up recovery points.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point and i agree with you. regardless, these are a lot better than just the factory hook.

now the factory topperware (bumper) even looks better:D

Maybe a one piece design would be easier to fabricate and cheaper to produce. I would play with this idea if I worked at a fab shop. I bet you could sell many of these in a matter of weeks.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I bet you could sell many of these in a matter of weeks.
lol-
As everyone has learned with sliders-
not really worth (profitable) it unless you build a large batch at once-
It's a pain in the ass to buy joints of steel to save money for the weekend welder.
the price of steel has shot up in the past few years as well.
You could buy a set of laser cut shackle mounts and weld to a fabbed up cross member-

So who has Mike burse's old front shackle mount bar?
post up some pics

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that's what i meant. i you could build a bunch of these things at once then it would make sense. How long would it take to fabricate, let's say, 150-200 pairs of these? Pretty easy if you have CNC machine of course. If not, that's a different ball game.

these things are small and relatively easy to ship with the exception they are a little heavy.

If i had acces to the right tools and fab knowledge, I would probably take the risk:D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
you mean this one?
If that's the one Mike B. had then I KNOW it works, cause at one point I had it too :D. Murderman winched me up Old Town Trio in Glimer a few years ago and that thing was solid. I would have kept it if I didn't get the ARB. :)

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
These are sold/made by sonoran steel - a bit pricy if you ask me-

IMHO a single, one peice version is simpler in design, and may offer better protection and durability- Basically fab up a cross member to tie together the 4 mounting bolts- at the same time it would protect the radiator-

I bought the steel a few years back- but never had the time to cut & make them.

Regardless- its still a good decsion to add the beefed up recovery points.
You mean like this one...sitting in my back yard now?

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
If that's the one Mike B. had then I KNOW it works, cause at one point I had it too :D. Murderman winched me up Old Town Trio in Glimer a few years ago and that thing was solid. I would have kept it if I didn't get the ARB. :)
Nope that one isn't the one John and I put together. Somehow I got it back and it's sitting in my back yard.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Nope that one isn't the one John and I put together. Somehow I got it back and it's sitting in my back yard.
Well, the one YOU have is stout as hell. I can vouch for that :)

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
802 Posts
Lookin good, Ben. Not bad for 40 bucks, eh?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good, Ben. Now we need you to get you stuck! ;)
hey, this is just preventive medicine. I've seen your winch in action, wouldn't mind getting stuck if your winch is around:D that thing is pretty fast;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts