TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a safety question. I'm a newbie so this might be just common sence to some of you?
I have 02 tacoma 130K on it. I've beat the heck out of this poor truck using it as a Daily Commuter and Farm truck. The truck still runs and looks good. So I want to keep it going.

I noticed last weekend that I have a considerable lean in the rear. I took a close look over the weekend and all I can think is that I have messed up the springs on the driver side. It's about 1 inch lower on the driver side unloaded. I don't see a "Visable" crack or anything but they are considerably flatter than the passanger side.

SO, after reading that this is a common problem I'm going to update the springs to the Wheeler HDs (I read better for hauling than others.)

My problem is my budget I can only afford to do the rear springs then I'll save over the next few months to get the fronts eventually...some day... Other than having a considerable rake forward would there be any big Saftey issues putting the rear springs on and living with the stock front until I can afford to do them?

This truck is used to haul alot of crazy stuff so rear springs are more important than off-road and/or looks but I don't want it to be unsafe for normal street driving either. I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Breadbox,

When I bought my truck a month or so ago the rear leaves were flat and the shocks shot so I've done just what you are considering - replaced the rear with the five leafs and the Bilstein HDs with the intent to do the front with the matching coils at a later date. Well, with some engine troubles I haven't been able to get to it and probably won't for at least another month. The truck has a funny looking stance but other than that the ride is smooth and I don't have any handling problems.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also forgot to mention I have driven it this way for over 2k miles on-road, highway, off-road, and through snow drifts. :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
tderose said:
Wheelers is a good choice, but you may also want to give these springs a try.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/2stage.html
Oh no you didnt. No really dont buy anything from NWOR ever no matter what. They have 0 customer service after they get your money. As far as the springs are concerned, they are garbage. They will hold a lot of weight and add about 4" to the rear. Down side is that you may break one one day and leave you stranded. You can call alcan or atlas spring companies and have a spring made for whatever you need.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Are those NWOR springs? I was actually pointed to these by Chris (Hytenor) several months ago, but decided to go with the OME Dakars.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
tderose said:
Are those NWOR springs? I was actually pointed to these by Chris (Hytenor) several months ago, but decided to go with the OME Dakars.
The real question here is: have a lot of people had problems with this spring, or just you? Any company can have a failure from time to time IE; bad heat treat, or maybe they were FUBAR from romping the truck hard all of the time. Maybe NWOR's customer service is crap, but that isn't a definitive indication that all of these springs are bad. I had an x-member bracket break off of a Pro-Comp kit that let my t-case drop and grenaded my DS. Cost me a pretty penny to fix. But on the other hand, I beat the shit out of the truck, so I expected to have problems somewhere down the road. Pro-Comp replaced the part and contributed to the repair cost. Things aren't always what they seem to be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought the hellcreeksuspensions leafs for my truck. It had 200K on the stock leafs and shocks and springs. It rides very well and have a lifetime warranty. Plus, they were cheaper than anyone else I found. I don't know why they are never mentioned here.

stock

added hellcreek rear leafs

added ome 881's

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shovelracer said:
Oh no you didnt. No really dont buy anything from NWOR ever no matter what. They have 0 customer service after they get your money.

Well, that's why I like Wheelers, they have been great answering my dumb questions via e-mail! I hope they keep that up even after they get my money.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
breadbox said:
SO, after reading that this is a common problem I'm going to update the springs to the Wheeler HDs (I read better for hauling than others.)

My problem is my budget I can only afford to do the rear springs then I'll save over the next few months to get the fronts eventually...some day... Other than having a considerable rake forward would there be any big Saftey issues putting the rear springs on and living with the stock front until I can afford to do them?
I have the Wheeler springs and like them a lot. Should be a good choice for you as well. You'll have the stinkbug look until you lift the front, but no big deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tacomawheeler98 said:
I bought the hellcreeksuspensions leafs for my truck. It had 200K on the stock leafs and shocks and springs. It rides very well and have a lifetime warranty. Plus, they were cheaper than anyone else I found. I don't know why they are never mentioned here.
I took a look, I'll have to e-mail them because on their site they stop at 2001 Tacoma's so I'll have to see if they offer anything for an '02.

THANKS!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Denver Dave said:
I also forgot to mention I have driven it this way for over 2k miles on-road, highway, off-road, and through snow drifts. :D
This seems to be the consensus. I should be OK saftey wise but it will look funny. :D

That's ok, I want to save my pennies to get sway-a-ways or something adjustable for the front but the rear needs fix'in now! I like the low price of the OME springs for the front but something about adjustable just seems to make more sense? I wish they were cheeper! I'll do the rear and then see if I can wait until I can save for some nice coilovers or if I can't I'll probably go with OME mostly because of $$$.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
family of toyotas said:
check out toytec.com
Got to love the picture of the little boy playing with the VW mirco bus and other toys. :confused: :bitchslap
PS: Sites for sale too!!!! :xcrazy: :xmoon:

·
Registered
119 Posts
breadbox said:
This seems to be the consensus. I should be OK saftey wise but it will look funny. :D

That's ok, I want to save my pennies to get sway-a-ways or something adjustable for the front but the rear needs fix'in now! I like the low price of the OME springs for the front but something about adjustable just seems to make more sense? I wish they were cheeper! I'll do the rear and then see if I can wait until I can save for some nice coilovers or if I can't I'll probably go with OME mostly because of $$$.
That is my thinking precisely. I'd love to get some Hoes but if I can hold out with some OME 881s w/Bils HD for the time being - who knows - I might save enough for a SAS :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Denver Dave said:
That is my thinking precisely. I'd love to get some Hoes but if I can hold out with some OME 881s w/Bils HD for the time being - who knows - I might save enough for a SAS :eek:
Yeah, I'm thinking save, save, save and by fall when my B-day comes around I'll ask for some help buying some SAW's. I had to order the rears because this is a farm truck and I need to keep it going. I've decided on the Wheeler HD's something about the good service they gave me made me want to go with them.
I hope to get those by next weekend to put them on and I'll see how bad the pitch is before I decide to go with OME or wait for the SAWs.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'm going to post questions when I can't get the stock springs off or something else brakes while working on the truck! HA!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's what shes gonna look like:

Stock front suspension, Wheeler's HD 5-leaf and Bilstein HDs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Denver Dave said:
Here's what shes gonna look like:
Stock front suspension, Wheeler's HD 5-leaf and Bilstein HDs.
Hey, that's not too bad. I can live with that for a while. Did it handle OK or was it "tippy." I'm mostly wanting to wait to do the front springs until I can afford the SAW's I like the idea of hight adjustable springs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts