TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do-it-yourself hilift mounts and those grip anything clamps are great but if you've got an 05+ Tacoma the bed already comes with a bunch of nifty features that are more than capable of handling the basics.

If you're like me and you take a side trip down a 2 track whenever you've got a little extra time during lunch it couldn't hurt to keep an axe, a shovel, and a come-a-long on board. The bed comes with those D-rings that seem like they're only good for hooking up bed nets. Some zip ties or a little rope and you can cinch up your tools.

Now everyone's got their own trick to keeping a hilift in the bed. They usually involve some elaborate fabbed mount that costs more than the friggin jack or a combination of parts that the back aisle of Ace Hardware coughed up.

Take the Toyota Accessory D-rings and mount them as instructed to the front of the bed sides. When I first put these on they completed the bed system and were so useful for everything from spare tires, to gas cans, to strapping down loads in the bed, I'm a little annoyed Toyota didn't include them in the first place.

A 60" hilift will fit in the bed sideways with the end at a 90 degree angle. From there just strap it in place. It won't go anywhere. You can even prop up gas cans behind it. For a shorter hilift or just an alternate mounting position, with the front and rear D-rings it'll balance over the wheel well and a ratchet strap will keep it down solid so it won't even squeak. My lift-mate (the hooks that lift from the wheel) fits in the bedside cubby.

The D-rings cost $25 from the dealership. Everything else is common equipment for a pick-up owner. No excuses for not having recovery gear when you need it. There are mounting options even when you're bone stock.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I need to get the D-rings.. just wrote it down.
Your location for the D-rings, is that what toyota suggests or is that just where you put them. I ask because it seems like it would be easier to get to them there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's toyotas location. It's a 2 person job only because you need someone to hold the wrench in the wheel well while you turn the bolt. I think the bolt head is a T40. Big ass torx wrench. Besides that it's just measuring and drilling 2 7/16 holes in the plastic bedside.

If you really wanted to get crazy you could mount those D-rings any where you could get to the backside of the bed. It's just a bolt going through the D-ring into a backing plate.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Wait, they didn't include d-rings on your truck from the factory? Kinda surprised since mine came with them. I figured they would have been standard equipment for a truck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Cheap 05+ bed rail tie downs

I'm sure others have thought of this but I couldn't find any info so I thought I would share. I wanted some extra tie down points for my bed rails but didn't want to spend the money on some stock ones so I made my own. I bought some 2 1/2" x 3/8" eyebolts, 3/8" washers, 3/8" fender washers and some 3/8" unistrut nuts and removed the springs. Slide a nut into the tie down channel with the standard washer in front of it, then just thread the eyebolt with fender washer into nut and you are done. The standard washer fits into the grooves that are designed for the stock tie downs; you can tighten or loosen bolts by hand and move them to desired location.

I also did the same thing using 1/4" hardware to attach my quickfists for my shovel. (If you do this, use a 3/8" washer in front of the 1/4" unistrut nut.)

So far they have worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you keep them there, don't expect them to stay very long, they'll get stolen :(
Had the ax and shovel like that for a year now (not on the same truck). Nobody wants to mess with'em. Hilift I had in the bed for a few months and it didn't get touched. Working on a military installation helps. It's not like I'm leaving a case of money in the back. It's a $70 jack that 99% of vehicles can't use. If it was just thrown in the bed maybe but if it's secured it's to big a pain the ass for somebody to just walk by and grab. It can fit a bike lock just fine but my bike lock is currently smashed and filled with mud.

Plus its a 60" hilift. Homeboy isn't gonna be able to throw it in the back of his civic and drive off.

Wait, they didn't include d-rings on your truck from the factory? Kinda surprised since mine came with them. I figured they would have been standard equipment for a truck.
It has the D-rings by the tailgate from the factory but one of the Toyota Accessories is extra D-rings to mount up at the front of the bed. Now I have 4 bed mounted D-rings plus the side rails.

Eventually there'll be some tube work on the rear bumper and bed and I'll come up with something more permanent for all that stuff but in the meanwhile I've got it all with me and strapped down tight.

Again my point being why spend more than twice the value of the jack on a fabbed up locking bed bar just to have some place to put it? If I needed a spot for a CB antenna some lights and some other crap maybe. But that's not the route I'm going.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree ryno.. I've been using the quickfists for awhile now... ame way you've got it in the back. Works great for a shovel and axe.. A maul, nope to heavy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts