TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was off roading at my local creek and i think thats where i picked up the nail in the sidewall of my 285/65/18 Terra Grappler. Went to discount tire they want 240$ for one new tire. Is there a chance that i may could patch it? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
u didnt buy certs with your new tires? or where did you get the tires? if its the sidewall your s.o.l

·
Registered
110 Posts
X2 Can't patch or plug a sidewall. Time to pay up...

·
Registered
718 Posts
dont ever patch a sidewall. it was fail and the tire will most likely blow out. where did you get the tire from? some tire places have warranties on their tires.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,520 Posts
Thats why I bought the warranty on my tires. The $80 I paid for the warranty I got back the first time I gashed a sidewall.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Why would you want to half ass a safety item?

You cannot patch a sidewall. If it could be patched, the place probably would have listed it as an option...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Why would you want to half ass a safety item?

You cannot patch a sidewall. If it could be patched, the place probably would have listed it as an option...
He didn't want to "half ass his safety".

He simply asked if he can patch up a sidewall. I reasonable question if you've never had to deal with patching a tire.

~Miguel

·
Registered
672 Posts
How about posting up why sidewalls cannot be repaired?

On radial tires, nylon cords of the tire run from bead to bead, in overlapping layers one like /// the next one on top like \\\. Those are what gives the tire it's radial quality. A tear or a cut in the sidewall essentially cuts those cords, which leads to iminent failure of the tire.

·
Registered
307 Posts
dude, certs are worth thier weight in gold, my last set of tires cost me 150 bucks, as apposed to 975.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bought the tires used so i had no option on a warranty. I mean come on i bought 4 practically new Terra Grapplers with 18in 4 runner rims for 500 dollars. It doesnt get much better than that. I was just gonna check it out before i went and spent 240 dollars on a new tire

·
Registered
808 Posts
It is obviously for liability issues that they don't repair sidewall punctures. Up until a few years ago Michelin allowed sidewall repairs. I personally have driven over 45000 miles on 4 tires that had sidewall punctures (the joy of ex-girlfriends) without a problem. There is no question that there is a possiblity of a problem, but being cheap and working in the tire business there was little risk. It really depends on how large the hole is and where it is located. The punctures that are the most difficult are the ones in the corner where the sidewall meets the tread. There is a lot of flexing in this area and it is a challenge getting a patch to stick. I wouldn't patch anthing on the sidewall bigger than 1/8. Mine were hit with an ice pick which made a nice clean hole. It happened at work so I didn't drive on it, which is another big factor in repairing a tire. Driving on low or no air will destroy a tire. Depending on the situation, i wouldn't have a problem patching a sidewall for my tire, but I don't think I would do it for my wife's car. They do make decent spare/emergency tires.

Here is a good article from Tire Review: Flat repair

·
Registered
204 Posts
as stated above, it can be done, if it was just a nail hole go ahead and patch it, you will have a hard time having someone patch it for you...tell them it is for a strictly off-road rock crawling rig and they might patch it for you...or do it yourself...

i have had a patch on the sidewall numerous times with no failure..

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I bought a set of tires for my Supra from a junkyard a while back. The tires had a ton of tread left but I guess I was so excited about the find that it wasn't until I got home that I found that each one of them was slashed. Had a friend of mine patch them and they rode for a couple of hundred miles in the winter. When the summer heat hit, the patches didn't hold up and each one of them blew out on me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
07Yogie said:
I bought the tires used so i had no option on a warranty. I mean come on i bought 4 practically new Terra Grapplers with 18in 4 runner rims for 500 dollars. It doesnt get much better than that. I was just gonna check it out before i went and spent 240 dollars on a new tire
i bought my tires from discount as well, they were used with 600 + or - miles on them i paid 550 i think for a set of 33x1250 bfg all terrains..good deal i think..neways i got the warranty on them. My mom had a nail in the sidewall of her truck, she took it back to costco and they gave her a brand new tire for 20 bucks and i think the tire was 175 each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts