TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here’s the story. I just bought a 2003 4Runner V8 Limited. The lady said the transfer case actuator was bad. When I crawled under there, her “mechanic” had taken it off to replace, but never did because of some stupid reason. So it was missing still. So I bought it. Trailered it home because it was making a popping noise in the front end. I was hoping the popping noise in front was from the front actuator trying to engage while the transfer case was not (might sound stupid, but that was my hope). I just installed the actuator ($780 part) in the transfer case and it is still popping in the front end. Any ideas? Front diff actuator? Bad diff? It doesn’t seem like it was wheeled at all. It’s bone stock. Stock Skid plates hardly have a scuff on them. Any help is appreciated! This is a VERY loud popping/banging, not like a CV axle or suspension noise.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,713 Posts
Not enough information really to make a determination over the internet. Get the front up on jacks and start spinning things and see what you can isolate. There could be an issue with the front actuator. Those are known to freeze up if the front end goes through mud holes frequently. Could also be spider gears, but if the vehicle wasn't wheeled hard, then not really likely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts