TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've developed a popping noise that sounds like it's coming from my rear axle. It only makes the noise under the initial load of acceleration in first, second and reverse and it just pops two or three times. It almost sounds like metal strain in a bushing or leaf spring, but it doesn't make the noise when putting any strain or motion on the rear suspension. Only under acceleration in lower gears; there are no new noises or vibrations under normal driving conditions. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
possibly your u-joints on the driveshaft.How many miles, how hard do you drive it?? Cpuld be the rear end is going, too. But I'd check the shaft first.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was worried about the rear end at first, but I would think that I would get some additional noise out of it if that was the case. There is no other howling or anything all the way up to highway speed. I drive the hell out of it and it has about 120,000 miles on it. I guess I'm more just wondering what it could be that only does it under those circumstances with no addition noise or vibration under normal driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
duby08
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing