TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been noticing within the last week or so that my front suspension (both sides) seems to pop when I go over pot holes or take something at an angle (say a speed bump for example)-this is when I hear it when only one side cycles.

Any clues?

I'm thinking CVs but I checked them the other day when I was checking my brakes and they seemed fine?!?!

Any ideas?

Also, I replaced my steering rack bushings within the last 6 months or so and I'm hearing that damned squeak again!
Guess I gotta replace them again :(

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Double check your sway bar & bolts too.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
if you have been doing a lot of wheeling. check ur A arm bushings too. Or you know what check ur top bushing or damper on top of ur coilovers. If that wares out there will be a gap there. the outside damper might still be there but the part where the coil sits might not. just a thought.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I crawled under my truck today and had my brother turn the steering wheel and noticed the creaking and groaning is coming from as far as I can tell the lower A-arm or the steering rack connections from the tire to the rack (dunno what they're called)

How hard would it be to find out which it is; and if it's the lower A arm bushings, how hard are they to replace?

Thanks guys!
-Laurence

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
the lower control arms bushings went out on mine last summer. TALK ABOUT A BITCH. You will have to pull everything apart. The bushings are like 40 each and will likely need to be pressed out. I couldnt press them out so they had to be cut out with a torch then beat back in. The cam bolts will cause problems if they are seized up. I had to cut them off with a sawzall and get new ones. I think it took me about a week to swap them out (only working in the evenings as I had time). The sway bar, tires, cv's, all that stuff needs to move out of the way to get to them. The easiest way to tell is to go 3-4 mph then lock up the brakes, if you feel the front shift then that is probably the problem (I had the exact same symptoms). Good luck young man, you will need it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get energy suspension bushings?... does ES make lower control arm bushings? or just stock toyota bushings?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts