TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good dB rating for a generator that will be used for camping? The reason im asking is because i have 2(2200 and 3600w) generators but both are too loud to use at camp.
Im looking for a 3500w+ generator that is 'quiet' with a decent price.
any suggestions as to what brand/model to use?

·
Registered
734 Posts
First off i suggest honda's they are super quiet. But there's two honda's that i like first is the EU3000. It is rated for 3000 watts but its really quiet while the other option for honda is get two I believe EU2200's and they have an adapter to connect them together to give you about 4400 watts. I have the EU3000 and love it but if you need more power i'd get the two 2200 generators and the adapter to connect them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i looked at the honda 3000 and it was rated at 49-58dB but i dont wanna pay 2k for it..lol

i found one with a 68dB rating, im thinking that should be quiet enough.

·
Registered
247 Posts
get a muffler installed on the one you already have... ironically down here there is a wait of almost 3 months to get a muffler installed on your generator....... even though we had such an active hurricane season this year...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
obex26 said:
get a muffler installed on the one you already have... ironically down here there is a wait of almost 3 months to get a muffler installed on your generator....... even though we had such an active hurricane season this year...
oh? i didnt even know i could get it done :eek:

what kind of shops would be able to install a muffler? im in san diego.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
If you want quiet, it's gotta be a Honda. That's one of the reasons they're twice as much as say, the Coleman that I bought that sounds like a jet engine.
What's this about a muffler, I wanna know, too.

--Scott

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Yup, everybody has said it, and it's true.

The Honda is worth the extra coin.

Here's my EU3000IS doing it's thing during the hurricane.

It will run a lamp in the kitchen, and the refrigerator, and a lamp in the bathroom, and a tiny window unit AC i put in the back bedroom, and a lamp in there, and a TV or the stereo or whatever, all at once. no problem.

I can run the microwave too (It's a big one), but not at the same time as the 'frige. No biggie, I just unplug the 'frige for a few minutes to cook.

While the neighbors were getting food poisoning from their melted and uncooked food, we were kicking it in the AC with a cold drink and a Marie Calander and watching a DVD. :)

The coolest part is that we can't hear it in the house.

It's so freaking quiet the neighbors don't even know it's running.

If you want quiet power, it's the only way to go.

Oh... and another thing-

This generator uses an inverter to make AC, so it's got a smooth stable power that's safe for your fancy computers and what not. I've used mine to run this computer before and don't worry about it at all.

"Normal" generators can vary their voltage and frequency quite at bit but these don't.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
easiest thing to look for is an RV generator.... most of the time those will be quiet (to run at a campsite) and will have a 30 amp or a 220v 50 amp connection to plug into and adapt to your needs.... but it all depends. and since we sell hondas. unless you really need the 4400 watts the 2 eu2200's and the controllers is a waste. you end up spending about 3-4 k for generators when you could spend 2 and get a 3000 with a wireless starter.... but thats just me. but keep in mind also that anything that has the word rv on it costs 3x as much as it would in the real world

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i might be able to get by with a 3000w. All i have to run with it is an a/c, small fridge, lights, radio and sometimes other kitchen appliances.
and most if not all of that i really dont need to have on at all times.

·
Registered
247 Posts
here the muffler shops for them are the same ones used for repairing and selling commercial lawn mower and other landscaping equipment....

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
check arround on eaby for a diesel generator, at work we have a 30kw that makes less noise than my truck while it runs, from what i remember you can get a 4-6kw for less than 2k

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The hondas are your best/quietest bet... get the ones that use an inverter, and have a ECU so they only operate at the RPM required for the power.. saves a ton on gas.. A normal generator cannon vary RPM as thats how they make their output.. but an inverter gen can...

You will pay for quiet..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing