TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear's the deal. I'm tired of playing the CD shuffle in my work car and am looking for a good portable MP3 player. I see in the Sun paper ones ranging from 128mb at $80 to 5gb at $250. Any recommendations? Ones I should stay away from?

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
If you're serious about it, just go straight for an iPod. You will not be disapointed. long 6 hour road trips- you never have to touch cds, or listen to the same thing twice.

I'm sure the 128mb ones are decent.. but lets say your average mp3 is 4.xMB you're looking at 30 songs at the most. My 10GB iPod has well over 1000.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm clueless when it comes to MP3s/players. The most I do with MP3s is d/l songs and convert them to WAVs so I can put them on CDs. Why an iPOD? Is that 1 of the better MP3 players? How much do the 10gb iPods go for? Sorry for the ???s but I just don't know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
MDTRD said:
Hear's the deal. I'm tired of playing the CD shuffle in my work car and am looking for a good portable MP3 player. I see in the Sun paper ones ranging from 128mb at $80 to 5gb at $250. Any recommendations? Ones I should stay away from?
How do you get a portable MP3 player to play through your trucks speakers?

·
Registered
264 Posts
BigDaddyToy said:
Preferably through an AUX input on your headunit. Otherwise there are RF modulators :xsmash: or cassette adapters :xsmash: that aren't so great but they work kinda.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you want to hook it up in your car, then go with an Ipod...A lot of Head unit MFR's are making interfaces for the Ipod to hook right in. My wife has a Creative Media Labs Nomad Zen Xtra, costs at least 100 bux less and it does the same thing as an Ipod, but nobody makes an interface for it yet.

Atwinda is right though, a long road trip or 2 and the mp3 player will pay for itself.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a creative zen extra and it works very well for me. My 40gb unit was cheaper than a 4gb mini-ipod but..... the only problem is the car interface. There isnt a really good one yet. My friend owns a apple mini ipod and she uses the apple RF interface unit. It works really well.

If you want to use it primarily in your work car, get the apple.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll look into getting an iPOD.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Alpine has a real nice interface for the iPod if you decide to go that route.

I'm sure there will be more shortly from other makers, but being a long time Alpine fan I'm going to give this one a try in the near future:

Alpine iPod Interface

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete said:
Alpine has a real nice interface for the iPod if you decide to go that route.

I'm sure there will be more shortly from other makers, but being a long time Alpine fan I'm going to give this one a try in the near future:

Alpine iPod Interface
I saw that on the Crutchfield site. I'm thinking about getting that when I replace my old Alpine with a new 1 in my GT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope it's not too late.
I just recently bought an iRiver H320 player, 20G harddrive based mp3 player. BestBuy is currently having a great sale on those (or was a week ago). They are usually $330, I bought mine new for $215. Better than iPod.
Check out http://misticriver.net/ for more info.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i was in your same boat so i went and got a sony minidisk player/recorder. plays for about 56 hrs on 1 aa battery. at medium compression i can fit about 3-4 hrs of music on one minidisk. each minidisk is abour 3"x3". the unit never skips and it is allmost impossible to scratch the minidisks as they have their own built in case. you transfer your music from your computer thru a usb cable. ive heard its possible to record from any source(cd, radio etc) but i havent tried yet. i had it hooked in thru the aux input on my deck but now i have it going thru my tv :xsmokin1:

costs about 100 bucks brand new and the minidisks are prety cheap too

just throwing out my $.02

·
Registered
119 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
I heard you can't played shared music on the ipod is that BS. It was from a magazine so I am thinking that it is b/c they don't want to advertise about something that is illegal.
Well with the mac software (iTunes) you can transfer songs to your iPod but cannot transfer them off the iPod to another computer. There is several different programs out there though that allow you to move music off. This is of course you mean the music on the iPod that you can listen too. When your using the HD interface you can transfer anything on and off you want to any computer.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
BigDaddyToy said:
For the Stock Radio- you should be able to use an FM modulator w/ RCA inputs
or
I 've seen some P.I.E. adapters- which use the input for Factory/OEM CD Changer and adaprt to give you RCA inputs on the factory radio

http://www.pie.net/apguides.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts