TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to know if it is worth droping in a true trac while I regear. And do you guys think haveing posi (true trac) is better than running the third open. I don't have the money for arb locker so that is not a option. Thanks

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
On road? Definitely.

Off road .... welll... I find it to be more aggravating than anything. When it REALLY works, you don't really need it (both wheels on the ground). When YOU really need it (wheel off the ground) it doesn't work. Sure, you can get it to transmit some power by applying the brakes, but it's VERY tricky and not 100% reliable.

IMHO, either do a Detroit or Noslip or live with your current gearing and save up your money for a couple months until you can do an ARB.

You should DEFINITELY put some kind of full carrier locker in there while you're regearing as the labor is the same (less actually, because they don't have to remove the old gears from the old carrier) as doing the gears. Saves you a ton of money over doing it separately....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I would wait but I have a 2.7 with 3.58s and I am runnig 32s. I started moding my truck before I found this site and and I am now stuck with a sluggish truck. I wish I would of known about regearing before I put bigger meats on! I was thinking of putting posi in the front as well is that a bad idea? Its my dd so I am on the hwy about 90 persent of the time. Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
318 Posts
97yoda said:
Yeah I would wait but I have a 2.7 with 3.58s and I am runnig 32s. I started moding my truck before I found this site and and I am now stuck with a sluggish truck.
How sluggish is it?? I'm in the market for new tires, and I was thinkin' 'bout 32's. I'm still stock so I have the 3.58's as well. I don't have the money to regear right now.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
My experience is with a Trutrac in the front of a SAS 4Runner, which is gonna do a helluva lot better about keeping the wheels on the ground! The GREAT thing about a TruTrac or other limited slip is it has minimal effect on the steering.

The TruTrac in the 'runner is ALMOST aggravating enough to be worth pulling the thirdmember to put in an ARB. That's pretty damn aggravating!

If I can find a HP elocker third I'm buying it and having gears put in it...

If you can remotely live with the gearing for a few more months, I would do it and save up for an ARB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its pretty bad what really sucks is takeing off on hills and when your off road (In mud I have alot of trouble not stalling) I always manage to burn my clutch a little. If I could do it again I would of stuck with 31s until I could regear but even with 31s its sluggish. But again I don't know what it fills like stock because when I bought it it already had 31s. So my :2cents: is wait until you can regear to go up in tire size.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
97yoda said:
So my :2cents: is wait until you can regear to go up in tire size.
Bummer you found the site late ... Hopefully others will listen to your experience and not have to go through it themselves!

Oh - BTW, my IFS truck is ARB front/rear, and it is much more predicatable and in some ways nicer to drive than the TruTrac equipped truck. I would never build another rig with anything other than ARB's front/rear (OK, maybe an elocker)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts