TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
BornOnFire said:
Found this over at Tundra Solutions. It seems that This guys Composite Bed cracked after one day of wheeling with a camper shell attached. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. Discussion welcome.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33103
i didn't see anything, it said i had to log in, and i don't have an account there.. kinda ironic that the new comercials for the bed, promoted them as "undestructable"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TacomaNova said:
i didn't see anything, it said i had to log in, and i don't have an account there.. kinda ironic that the new comercials for the bed, promoted them as "undestructable"
Sorry about that, I guess you have to sign in.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yep, it's true. A guy at work here has a cracked bed too. He's been without his truck for 2 weeks now. I see big problems ahead for this.

Brian

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mrbigbri said:
Yep, it's true. A guy at work here has a cracked bed too. He's been without his truck for 2 weeks now. I see big problems ahead for this.

Brian
So much for that Composite bed being the Cat's meow. I would imagine that in very sunny climates, the UV rays would kill that stuff. I'll take good ol' pressed steel over Plastic any day! At least Steel has some "give" to it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the quoted text. The pics are hosted by Tundra Solutions so I can't post them here.

" I took my 05 Double Cab 4x4 Long Bed out 4x4'ing this weekend in and around Death Valley. We went on some pretty rough washboard roads and did some boulder crawling up some washes. I have done much worse with my old truck - a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab. I also had the same shell that was mounted on my old truck on the new truck.

When I got home and removed the shell (as I always do so I can drive the truck to work), I noticed a huge crack on the driver side of the bed. The crack goes all the way through the bed. Pictures are attached.

Needless to say I am very pissed off that one 4x4 trip cracked the bed. I would have thought Toyota would have tested this material thouroughly before selling them to the public. I hope this will be easy to warranty.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used 05 Tacoma?

-Chris "

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
Shakerhood said:
It wont be long before they switch back to steel if it starts to cost them in warranty. They are so damn worried about gas mileage they will make anything out of plastic!
It is call money! They saved a shit load of my by going to the plastic bed. I can't remember the exact value but there was an article that said that it saves millions in tooling for the bed

·
Registered
313 Posts
Its all that extra crap they are trying to cover costs for. When will truck companies learn a truck needs to be strong as steel not tender as plastic. You would think they learned from the Avacraps. :xsmash: I personally wish they wouldnt call it a Tacoma. Should be a T100. It aint a mini and aint a full size.. :mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Camper Shell is the Cause (apparently)

Copied from Customtacos:

here's 2 good posts from page 7 and he is getting a new bed.

also, he was using a topper made for the earlier tacoma.

I can pretty much say from reading this and looking at the pictures that the shell is responsible for cracking the bed. The shell needs to be wider than what it is to support more of the weight 700+ lbs. Since the shell appears to be sitting on the inner quadrant of the rail it will exert outward pressure on the right and left bed rails which in turn will move (flex) outward. This flexing is exxagerated with off road conditions, hence the crack. If you think that a new bed will survive this same scenario you will be disappointed.
I would consider selling the topper and come up with one that is more adapted to this width. Otherwise you will end up with a major headache!

Everyone is blaming the SMC, Toyota, and the kitchen sink for this problem. The picture is getting clearer to me as to what caused this SMC bed to crack. The owner installed a cap/canopy/shell (whatever you may call it) that is about twice the weight of the Snugtop. He installed the cap by loading the bolts that run through the top of the composite material, and not the structural members of the truck. Then he flexed the SMC by bouncing this load up and down over some very rugged terrain. No wonder it ripped from the top as the pictures show.
http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=411253&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=2&vc=1

Sounds like the guy was acting dumb. Crap - Installing a camper shell (a heavy one at that) onto laterally oriented bolts. Silly. Doesn't explain the other one mentioned here though...

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Thats why i dont buy freshly new trucks. Ill wait a few years so manufacutures can get some of the bugs out. Thats just like the new titan, ive heard it has problems too.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
big suprise

BornOnFire said:
Found this over at Tundra Solutions. It seems that This guys Composite Bed cracked after one day of wheeling with a camper shell attached. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. Discussion welcome.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33103
I'm not suprised, I figured this sort of thing would happen sooner than later. I think composite body parts should stay on sports cars, not fuckin trucks that have a transfer case and a front differential!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone not noticing it *may* have been the owner's fault? I can't believe toyota would build something that would break after ONE 4x4 trip - with all the testing they must do? Freebody diagrams and materials stress testing....? The 200lb topper incorrectly installed seems more plausible to me.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts