TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly the right forum... move if necessary.

Ive been debating what kind of rear bumper to buy, and I'm liking the demello and Allpro less and less and liking the cut high clearance style (seen below) a lot more.

I'm helping myself decide what style of bumper of cut bed bumper to get, so I have posted all the pics I could find (can take down if owner wants) to help get some idea's for myself, and possibly others.

Please post your pics of your cut rear bumper.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do not put that crap in your air system! I use my sliders as my air tanks and they had a few pinhole leaks at first, but after some soapy water and more paint they will hold above a hundred psi for 3-4 days now. I tried JB weld but it was too porous so I pulled a vacuum on my air system and sprayed the pinholes with some thick coats of spray paint and let it dry for a day or two and it seemed to do pretty well. Fix a flat is just nasty crap and you don't want it in your lines.
Why not just throw a spot weld on the pin holes?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Why not just throw a spot weld on the pin holes?
All I have is a ready welder with flux core wire, so that means porous welds, plus it's leaking in a hard to get to spot. I like the vacuum idea, now I just have to convince the wife to suck on the old air hose while I spray paint, lol. The holes are teeny tiny and barely bubble even at 100psi, but it's enough to lose pressure pretty fast.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It's in my sig...

and we've all seen these:

·
Registered
215 Posts
here is a ghetto version of what phil did... (this was my first attempt at building something useful with steel)

I also fabbed up quick disconnect mud flaps that bolt onto the frame.

Last but not least to solve the license plate light legality issue I tried a set of these LED bolts.

no mudflaps

here is a pic of my friends hi-cut bumper, we built them at the same time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No need to mention that I don't have a bender. It worked out well though and is beefier than it appears. It has gone through punishment and been fine. My roommates and I picked up the back of my truck to slide my ass end into a tight parking spot. (1.75" tube)

This isnt the best angle (makes it look strange) but it gives good coverage.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No need to mention that I don't have a bender. It worked out well though and is beefier than it appears. It has gone through punishment and been fine. My roommates and I picked up the back of my truck to slide my ass end into a tight parking spot. (1.75" tube)

This isnt the best angle (makes it look strange) but it gives good coverage.
I think your cab is missing. :D Looks nice though.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

An older pic..

And one more older pic..

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
All I have is a ready welder with flux core wire, so that means porous welds, plus it's leaking in a hard to get to spot. I like the vacuum idea, now I just have to convince the wife to suck on the old air hose while I spray paint, lol. The holes are teeny tiny and barely bubble even at 100psi, but it's enough to lose pressure pretty fast.
fluxcore and porous welds? you are doing something wrong. a weld should NEVER be porous. That means you have poroicty in your welds... = weak weld that will fail.

Don't weld over paint or grease... clean the metal, grind out any perocity and weld it back up.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
yeah I pretty much suck at welding, and I only have a battery powered welder. Eh, I'm getting better with every project and that's the only way I can learn. Maybe it's not the flux core, but the puddle sure seems to sputter and pop and leave pinholes a lot even though it's a decent looking bead with good penetration. I ground the metal clean before welding, so I don't think it's grease causing it, maybe impurities in the metal? I dunno.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm pretty sure this has come up at least twice, because I know I've posted to a similar thread more than once.

Try the search button next time.
What's wrong with this dude posting this up? He found pictures he searched for and now would like to see more. What kinda information did you provided? I couldn't tell from what you said how you helped. Have a nice day!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
54 Participants
snowmansimon
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing