TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quoted $45/Rim to Powdercoat my factory Alloys. Is this reasonable? Is this recommended vs. rattle canning them?

(That's $40 USD) :D

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
i wouldn't do it. but i chew my wheels up on rocks and other shit but if you keep to the street and sand go for it. that sounds like a reasonable price considering the prep time and bake involved.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Powder coating is better than rattle can but that sounds a little high to me. I think I had mine done with custom ordered gold powder for a little less per rim. Included sand blasting and double coating. And that is in pricey yuppie land urban California.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dick Foster said:
Powder coating is better than rattle can but that sounds a little high to me. I think I had mine done with custom ordered gold powder for a little less per rim. Included sand blasting and double coating. And that is in pricey yuppie land urban California.
I plan to use these only as me street wheels. I will buy others when I get more cash. I am looking to go gunmetal grey....

Could you post a pic?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I powder coated mine. Dont recall the price.

Only problem I had was some young, inexperienced punk broke them down at the tire gettin place and chipped the paint off the edge of the rim, with the tire machine. Otherwise, they hold up good.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
arrowpilot said:
I powder coated mine. Dont recall the price.

Only problem I had was some young, inexperienced punk broke them down at the tire gettin place and chipped the paint off the edge of the rim, with the tire machine. Otherwise, they hold up good.
Anyone got any pics of their powdercoated? :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The difference between fresh powder coat paint and rattle can spray paint isn't going to show up in a pic on the web unless it's shots taken after a few winters.
The powder coating is going to give you much better corrosion resistance. Based on where you live, I'd say that would be a real consideration. Yes, it costs more but as with anything else you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dick Foster said:
I did powder coat because now I know the areas that aren't so easy to touch up also don't get banged up so are protected against corrosion.
Thanks for the additional info. I guess I will definitely powdercoat. My rims are already starting to corrode. It would be nice to start off with a nice clean look that will hide the brake dust.

·
Registered
41 Posts
$40 a wheel sounds good, I actually was calling around today for the same reason and getting prices starting at 68 ea., one place (take in mind they are smoking crack) wanted $125 ea. minimum, she said it could go up but thats where they start

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MGlassco said:
$40 a wheel sounds good, I actually was calling around today for the same reason and getting prices starting at 68 ea., one place (take in mind they are smoking crack) wanted $125 ea. minimum, she said it could go up but thats where they start
This place doesn't normally do wheels. They do street lamps and stuff like that. It is a cash jobbie. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
That sounds like a good price for PCing. Mine were going to be 65 a piece ,but some azzhole broke into the place & stole my rims & a bunch of other stuff. They ended up buying me another set & did the pc'ing for free.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
A reputable place near me (5 miles) quoted me $30 USD if I blasted them. Now that I don't have an extra set so I'm screwed. I should have been more patient. I think PC'ing would hold up OK as long as you weren't constantly laying them against rocks, which from where I'm from I absolutely don't have a clue. Well, very little anyway.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
sears now sells a portable powder coating system. It's a little over $200.00, but you could powder coat your own wheels and other stuff if you can find an oven big enough to put everything in :D

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

gunmetal rattle can w clearcoat. touch ups are real easy too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been powder coating for about 5 years now and I say if it chips when something scrapes it, its a piss poor job done on them! Its all in the prep work and they need to PRETREAT the metals, Whether it be iron phosphate or aluminum chromate, to a sealer applied with fresh water and rinsed with fresh DI water or distilled. I test my pretreatment with a ballpeen hammer on sample panels every month or so to ensure I still get outstanding adhesion. As far as the pricing goes, thats a really fair price for powder coating because it offers greater corrosion resistance that far exceeds wet paint. Its applied at the same thickness as wet paint is also, so no really bad buildup in certain areas. I powder coated a guys rims here in town and he says they get scratches, but not a bit of cracking or peeling occurs. So make sure your powder coater pretreats, and if you have any questions on what info you find out, feel free to PM me and ask....I am an open book! I will not badger any other company's process, but I will give you honest truth. Talking bad about someone else's work just makes you look worse yourself!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Conversion coating aluminum before applying powder will inhibit corrosion quite a bit more over not doing it. To test the durability of the powder do a solvent rub test. If the aluminum wheel has seen alot of use, pre-baking it will remove most impurities that will otherwise cause fish-eye in the finish. These are issues I have seen in my travels. Good Luck. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts