TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing a dash cam into my 2014 Tacoma and I wanted to get some help on the power.

I would like to have the dash cam power on when I turn the truck on. A buddy of mine was able to do this by putting in a 5v converter into the dome light and running the dash cam off of that.

I mentioned that I have gotten great responses from here and he said that I should ask if there is any switch power or accessory power in the head liner/map light are.

If anybody has any thoughts on this I would appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I'm going to be installing a dash cam into my 2014 Tacoma and I wanted to get some help on the power.

I would like to have the dash cam power on when I turn the truck on. A buddy of mine was able to do this by putting in a 5v converter into the dome light and running the dash cam off of that.

I mentioned that I have gotten great responses from here and he said that I should ask if there is any switch power or accessory power in the head liner/map light are.

If anybody has any thoughts on this I would appreciate the help.
I run my camera stuff from a switched source. All you have to do is run a lead up the A pillar to the headliner then across. The radio circuit would be a good choice as it's switched via the accessory circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run my camera stuff from a switched source. All you have to do is run a lead up the A pillar to the headliner then across. The radio circuit would be a good choice as it's switched via the accessory circuit.
Thanks Dick Foster. Did you need to use a converter or did you run it directly off the radio power?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Thanks Dick Foster. Did you need to use a converter or did you run it directly off the radio power?
I don't know what you mean by converter.
I have an unusual camera system in my truck so I don't think it will be relevant to what you're doing. I have a multi camera system and I made all the cameras myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what you mean by converter.
I have an unusual camera system in my truck so I don't think it will be relevant to what you're doing. I have a multi camera system and I made all the cameras myself.
Sorry, I wasn't able to reply back on this. The camera I got uses USB power so we had to get a USB converter. We were able to use the Homelink for the power and it only turns on when the car is on. It was super easy and only took about an hour to do.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts