TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! Can't find the problem with my 2000 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4WD with 175k miles.

Problem description:

1 - Power loss when rpms go over 3000rpm after warming up, usually 10-15 minutes of driving.

2 - Truck runs great when cold. The fact that it runs great when cold is what seems so puzzling on this problem.

3 - The truck will not rev over 3000rpm after it warms up. Its almost like it has a governer or something. Sputters and cuts out.

4 - Happens regardless of uphill or downhill, grade has nothing to do with it.

5 - Happens in any gear and\or neutral, same thing, over 3000 rpms, cuts out like its not getting gas, coughs and chokes over 3000rpm. No power whatsoever.

6 - Cleaned the MAF (mass air flow - the small sensor between the the aircleaner box and throttle body) and cleaned the throttle body (with throttle body cleaner) after those cleanings the truck seemed to run smoother and a little stronger but ended up doing the same thing after warming up.

7 - unplugged the battery (thinking we could "reset" the problem if it was computer related, same thing.

8 - Installed new fuel filter, still having problem.

9 - Talked to a toyota mechanic, he said to clean or replace the MAF which we did.

10 - Fuel pump? Toyota mechanic said we'd be able to hear it and should be be more noticable if the truck is going up hill, this can't be the problem...

11 - Visual inspection of plug wires, they look good. They have the year 1999 on them. Thought about changing these but that wouldn't be making this problem happen? only after warming up? Trying not to spend a small fortune replacing parts and finding it doesn't end up fixing the problem...

12 - Stop off for gas or shut it off for about 5-10 minutes and problem disappears until it warms up again. Temp gauge normal. How weird!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
mustang_mhs said:
HELP! Can't find the problem with my 2000 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4WD with 175k miles.

Problem description:

1 - Power loss when rpms go over 3000rpm after warming up, usually 10-15 minutes of driving.

2 - Truck runs great when cold. The fact that it runs great when cold is what seems so puzzling on this problem.

3 - The truck will not rev over 3000rpm after it warms up. Its almost like it has a governer or something. Sputters and cuts out.

4 - Happens regardless of uphill or downhill, grade has nothing to do with it.

5 - Happens in any gear and\or neutral, same thing, over 3000 rpms, cuts out like its not getting gas, coughs and chokes over 3000rpm. No power whatsoever.

6 - Cleaned the MAF (mass air flow - the small sensor between the the aircleaner box and throttle body) and cleaned the throttle body (with throttle body cleaner) after those cleanings the truck seemed to run smoother and a little stronger but ended up doing the same thing after warming up.

7 - unplugged the battery (thinking we could "reset" the problem if it was computer related, same thing.

8 - Installed new fuel filter, still having problem.

9 - Talked to a toyota mechanic, he said to clean or replace the MAF which we did.

10 - Fuel pump? Toyota mechanic said we'd be able to hear it and should be be more noticable if the truck is going up hill, this can't be the problem...

11 - Visual inspection of plug wires, they look good. They have the year 1999 on them. Thought about changing these but that wouldn't be making this problem happen? only after warming up? Trying not to spend a small fortune replacing parts and finding it doesn't end up fixing the problem...

12 - Stop off for gas or shut it off for about 5-10 minutes and problem disappears until it warms up again. Temp gauge normal. How weird!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

:confused:
Did you check your throttle cable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mnstr_trd said:
Check if you catalytic converter is still good. take it of and make sure the honeycomb isn't melted shut. I had similar problems with my ford aerostar and it was because of a bad cat..

hope this helps.
Catalytic converter is good. Checked thoroughly. She's breathing just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Newman said:
I had a similar problem,couldnt figure it out. I changed the plug wires, and it fixed the problem.
The plug wires were my next thought as well. I don't see how the plugs would do this at r's over 3k. Didn't want to spend the $$ but I'm going to do it anyway and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
CHANGE THE PLUGS FIRST!!! This is exactly what mine did when I let the plugs go too long between changes. If that doesn't do it or the problem comes back very shortly I would focus on wires or coil packs next.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts