TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past month or so I have noticed a big power loss. There have been no changes to cause this loss. I have also noticed what seems like a small hesitation when accelerating. I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter (amsoil), and cleaned the MAF. I do have 2 exhaust leaks. One where the pass side manifold joins with the y-pipe and the other after the first cat connecting to the second cat. I have new donut gaskets for these and will replace them tomorrow. Maybe that will fix things. Anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be the problem? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
get a can of bg 44k and run it through, that or some sea foam and see if it "freshens" it up a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to add that I have already ran seafoam through and a can of BG 44K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
Over the past month or so I have noticed a big power loss. There have been no changes to cause this loss. I have also noticed what seems like a small hesitation when accelerating. I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter (amsoil), and cleaned the MAF. I do have 2 exhaust leaks. One where the pass side manifold joins with the y-pipe and the other after the first cat connecting to the second cat. I have new donut gaskets for these and will replace them tomorrow. Maybe that will fix things. Anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be the problem? Thanks.
''


I hope you cleaned the fine wires in the MAF in addition to the red sensor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the MAF, there is only one thin piece of metal. There is nothing else to clean but this sensor. What fine wires are you talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then show me. If it makes any difference I have a 2002 3.4L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will also be changing spark plugs tonight. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
I'm sure you've done the ususal "tune up" things like air filter clean/replacement and fuel filter replacement. Sea foam or other fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. If that doesn't do it, maybe the O2 sensor is going out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DCabTaco said:
I'm sure you've done the ususal "tune up" things like air filter clean/replacement and fuel filter replacement. Sea foam or other fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. If that doesn't do it, maybe the O2 sensor is going out.
Not trying to be a dick but if you read the first two posts that I made, it answered all of those questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE!! Changed the spark plugs tonight and reset the ECU. I notice little to no improvement. I am leaning towards a fuel problem. When you get on it, it bogs down until you get above 3000RPM when you can feel a slight jerk as the power kicks in. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
UPDATE!! Changed the spark plugs tonight and reset the ECU. I notice little to no improvement. I am leaning towards a fuel problem. When you get on it, it bogs down until you get above 3000RPM when you can feel a slight jerk as the power kicks in. Any suggestions?
Fuel filter? Have you been running oxygenated(sp) gas? Some places run it some times of the year. Makes a huge difference in mpg and power. Might also be in your head?

Latre,

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuel filter was changed. One of the first things that I replced. If it is in my head then I am extremely disappointed in this truck. Last night, I had it floored and it took 10+ seconds to go from 2000-3000 RPM. When a Ford Tempo POS 4 cyl that has 200,000+ miles can beat me then, there has got to be a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
When a Ford Tempo POS 4 cyl that has 200,000+ miles can beat me then, there has got to be a problem.
I feel your pain. I'd be first in line at a red light beside an older Toyota truck, old enough to be carbureted. And it's not like I'm trying to race him, but he can pull away from me once we take off. That aint right!

I have since gotten used to it, convinced that my truck was made on a Friday afternoon. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
Fuel filter was changed. One of the first things that I replced. If it is in my head then I am extremely disappointed in this truck. Last night, I had it floored and it took 10+ seconds to go from 2000-3000 RPM. When a Ford Tempo POS 4 cyl that has 200,000+ miles can beat me then, there has got to be a problem.

Sounds like the same problem I had, Replaced the ever so expensive air/fuel ratio sensor. Now the horses are back.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top