TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed lately that my boost gauge is only hitting about 9psi where I was getting as much as 12psi. Could it be belt slippage? I have had the SC for approximately 60k miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My boost has dropped even more. Where can I get a replacement belt? do I have to go to a Toyota dealer? I have not been able to find it at any parts store since it is not original equipment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody gonna help me with this?

100 Posts
Anybody gonna help me with this?

What type boost guage do you have? Mine is TRD and only goes to 10. I have 2.2 URD pulley and I get 9 pounds. Also, I am having a power loss which may or may not be similar to yours. I will do a little more experimenting and then post when I can give accurate information. Is your truck "surging" under full power? Does it seem to be starving for air or fuel?
Maybe it is your cat? Anyway, at 60,000 miles I would put a new s/c belt on as I believe you are due. Yes, order at Toyota dealer. Advise on results.
Good Luck. Richie

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Check your current belt for any parts numbers on it! There should be (I think) a 5 digit number that is printed in mulitple places on the belt.

Take that number with you to Napa or Checkers ( would stay clear of Auto zone) They will take those numbers and match up the belt by size.

When you go in to an auto parts store and tell them you need a belt for a supercharger, especially on a toyota. The first reaction athe counter guy is going to have is he is immediately thinking to himself that it is a special order item. So he basically defeats himself by assuming he is not going to have it.

But reality is there is very few "speciality" belts on vehicles. Most are cross matched to other vehicles, you just have to figure out how to do the cross matching for the counter monkeys.

Take my parts for my solid axle. Instead of going in and telling the guy, I need a bearing for my gm axle I put on my toyota, which will immediately have the guy scratching his head. I just go in and tell the guy I need a bearing for a Mid 80's GM half ton. Only giving him the information he needs instead of extra information he is going to screw himself over.

Make sense?

IN the meantime, I'll check my supercharger tomorrow and see if I can pull any numbers off the belt for you! ( I need to change the belts myself anyway)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What type boost guage do you have? Mine is TRD and only goes to 10. I have 2.2 URD pulley and I get 9 pounds. Also, I am having a power loss which may or may not be similar to yours. I will do a little more experimenting and then post when I can give accurate information. Is your truck "surging" under full power? Does it seem to be starving for air or fuel?
Maybe it is your cat? Anyway, at 60,000 miles I would put a new s/c belt on as I believe you are due. Yes, order at Toyota dealer. Advise on results.
Good Luck. Richie
I have an Autometer that goes up to 25psi. After I put the 2.1" pulley on I went from 7psi to 12psi. Now I am back down to a max of 8psi according to the gauge. I had not thought about the cat but my truck is "surging" at times. The AEM Wide Band A/F goes crazy then it levels out when I give it more fuel. I don't think that has anything to do with my boost issue though.

I am going to put a new belt on and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power loss here as well, however it's non verifiable (only on the butt dyno)I'm suspect of my cat as well. Can anyone confirm that cats need to be changed more often on the blown Tacos?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I have the belt but I can't figure out how to install it. Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't there anyone that has replaced their S/C belt that can help me?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No but i will give that a try. I just figured that there had to be at least one person who has done it already.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't replaced the belt yet but I had another thought about this. I don't know the technical term but could it be that when I put the smaller pulley on the SC that over time the waste gate weakened due to the additional boost and is now too weak to hold the extra boost? Just a theory...any thoughts?

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Isn't there anyone that has replaced their S/C belt that can help me?
The belt old P/N was 00602-17620-026 and the dealer can help you with that. You may as well replace all the belts while you are in there so get the others – check them against what you got before you take it all apart . . . especially if you only have the truck and no other car to go get the right belts.

Read the FSM: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

A/C belt(if you’ve A/C and remember the adjustment is from under):
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/ac/dribel/remo.pdf
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/ac/dribel/inst.pdf

And the P/S:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sr/psvp5vzf/remo.pdf (see only step 4).

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sr/psvp5vzf/inst.pdf (only step 2) and a peak at http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sr/dribel/insp.pdf

Read the manual used to install your S/C so you know where your S/C belt goes:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/miscinfo/TRD34LSCInstal.pdf

You can use a ratchet in the tensionor to let off the tension

Take off the belts and then put them back on in order, drive away.

Done. Easy . . . yeeee haa.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
I haven't replaced the belt yet but I had another thought about this. I don't know the technical term but could it be that when I put the smaller pulley on the SC that over time the waste gate weakened due to the additional boost and is now too weak to hold the extra boost? Just a theory...any thoughts?
Tubos have waste gates to let off exhaust gas. Superchargers do not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tubos have waste gates to let off exhaust gas. Superchargers do not.
I knew I was using the wrong terminology but doesn't a SC have something similiar? I thought (probably incorrectly) that since the SC always spinning that there has to be some sort of outlet unless you give it enough gas to get into boost. I certainly am no techy when it comes to understanding how the SC works so feel free to slam me if you want. I have noticed a valve of some sort on the back side of the SC at about the 1 o'clock position. This is what I thought was the "waste gaste".

Any other thoughts on why I have seemingly lost 4-5 lbs of boost? Is there any way to verify how much boost is being produced aside from my gauge?

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
I knew I was using the wrong terminology but doesn't a SC have something similiar? I thought (probably incorrectly) that since the SC always spinning that there has to be some sort of outlet unless you give it enough gas to get into boost. I certainly am no techy when it comes to understanding how the SC works so feel free to slam me if you want. I have noticed a valve of some sort on the back side of the SC at about the 1 o'clock position. This is what I thought was the "waste gaste".

Any other thoughts on why I have seemingly lost 4-5 lbs of boost? Is there any way to verify how much boost is being produced aside from my gauge?
The bypass valve not opening might cause some issue. You can watch it and see if it is opening.

You can put your own vacuum gauge on and check vacuum. Maybe you’ve leak. Maybe you’ve a different issue. I’d check all the items in the messages here and in the other thread I answered to you and see where that takes you.

You need to go look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts