TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. The other day my wife had our laptop pluged into an inverter that was plugged into the Aux Power Outlet. The outlets both died and I can't find the cause. The fuse under the hood is good, but there is no voltage to it. I switched around the relays (Tail, EFI, Power Outlet) and the tail lights and EFI work, but the outlets are still dead. What do I check next?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
SoulWinner04 said:
Hi. The other day my wife had our laptop pluged into an inverter that was plugged into the Aux Power Outlet. The outlets both died and I can't find the cause. The fuse under the hood is good, but there is no voltage to it. I switched around the relays (Tail, EFI, Power Outlet) and the tail lights and EFI work, but the outlets are still dead. What do I check next?
This is the outlet in the cab, below the dash, forward of the shifter?
Is this a Tacoma, 4-Runner, pickup?
What year?

If you checked the fuse for the power outlet and it's good, then the wire and/or a connection is bad.

On a 2002 Tacoma, just as an example, there are two connections and a fusible link between the outlets and the battery.
One connection is at a wiring harness and the other joins the two power outlets together at a junction under the dash.
The ground wires from each power outlet are spliced and there are two grounds on the instrument panel.
On both grounds: 12V with ignition switch to ACC or ON; always continuity.

From the power source from the ignition, going through the ACC fuse, there is one connection at a wiring harness and another at a junction block (which is in the main relay block under the hood).

Get me the model, year, and engine and I can be exact on everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thomas,

Hi bro. I fixed it. BTW, it's a '99 Taco. Check this out. I couldn't get continuity on the ground. If you take the panel out that hold the two power sockets you can see the back of the power outlets. The ground on each outlet has little tiny fusible link on it. It looks like a little piece of black wire that bridges the plate with the blade to the plate with the center electrode. Both of these were burned in two. What I did was solder the two plates together ( on each outlet as both links were burned in two), and now everything works. I knew the problem had to be at the plug when I checked for power at the relay switch under the hood and could not establish a ground at the relay.

Thanks for your reply!

Wes

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
SoulWinner04 said:
Thomas,

Hi bro. I fixed it. BTW, it's a '99 Taco. Check this out. I couldn't get continuity on the ground. If you take the panel out that hold the two power sockets you can see the back of the power outlets. The ground on each outlet has little tiny fusible link on it. It looks like a little piece of black wire that bridges the plate with the blade to the plate with the center electrode. Both of these were burned in two. What I did was solder the two plates together ( on each outlet as both links were burned in two), and now everything works. I knew the problem had to be at the plug when I checked for power at the relay switch under the hood and could not establish a ground at the relay.

Thanks for your reply!

Wes
Good to hear, and good work on fixing it!

No problem. I enjoy trying to help people.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i was going to tell you to look behind the outlet too. mine died while running an air compressor. those fusible links are pretty weak..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
d33pt
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing